• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shark's Underwater Grill review 10-11-02

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
I visited Sea World on October 11 in part to eat at Shark’s Underwater Grill. I was hesitant to do so since I’ve heard mixed reviews about it, but I decided to give it a try.

I ate at Shark’s after the 11:30 Shamu show. The wait for a table was 45 minutes, but since I was alone, I could sit at the bar and eat. I wanted a table by the sharks, but my stomach wanted food.

The restaurant itself is pretty lovely. Three tiers of seating face three huge windows. Sharks and other fish swim by as you eat. The light level was very low. Unlike the Shark Encounter, you don’t hear scary music. The music has a poppy and jazzy soundtrack, heavy on the piano. This made the sharks seem less menacing. The bar has its own show. The bar itself has a tropical aquarium. You can set your drink down and see colorful fish swim by.

The menu was heavy on seafood – I noticed shrimp, crab, and some fish entrees. There were also steak and chicken entrees. Appetizers ran about $5 to $8, entrees were $15 to $30, and desserts were in the $5 to $8 price range. I ordered the counch chowder and the crab cakes. The bartender who took the order didn’t seem very pleasant. The servers on the floor smiled a lot and seemed very nice, though.

I was expecting to watch the fish swim back and forth for a long time as I waited for the food, but my soup came out in 3 minutes! About two minutes later, the crab cakes came out. I wasn’t expecting such swift cooking. I don’t know if it’s the norm for the restaurant to serve their food so fast, but I was quite floored!

The counch chowder was pretty spicy and had a nice mix of corn and carrot slices. The crab cakes had a big creamy salad in the middle with four small, hockey puck-sized crab cakes in each corner. The salad was rich because of the dressing. The crab cakes were tasty, but not very memorable. My final bill with a Gold Passport discount was around $24.

From the time I sat down to the time I left, I was done in 30 minutes. That’s quicker than most counter service places during busy meal times. Although Shark’s Underwater Grill was good, I don’t think I would be rushing back to eat there anytime soon. The food didn’t have a “wow” factor. For me to do that, a restaurant has to be drool-inducing enough for me to return. Mythos Restaurant at Islands of Adventure is the most drool-inducing restaurant that I’ve ever eaten. I guess I’m holding most theme park full-service restaurant to Mythos standards. However, even considering Shark’s without comparing it to other places, I’d say that won’t be disappointed, but your taste buds will be craving something better next time.

Thanks for the review.
I didn't go inside, only looked from the windows.
The menu is geared towards seafood and steak, kinda pricey.
The pasta and pizza is under the kids menu, so I'd feel a little embarrased if I ordered from it, but that's what I like.

I think you would have enjoyed your experience had you been with a group of people, it seems you felt rushed.

Mythos has that movie feel to it because of the music and a great view of Hulk and Dr. Doom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter