She tends to say whatever comes into her circuits. - Marathon Weekend 2020 Dining Report with Bonus Trip - 2/12 California Grill

WOW! You got through so many booths! I am so jealous. The lines were so insanely long the entire time were there :(

Starting at 11AM really helped the line situation as they grew as the day went on. That's too bad you only got to experience long lines!

California Grill

After some relaxing and a short nap (I like my Disney Naps!) we headed over to the Contemporary by the monorail and checked in for dinner right on time. We had been able to snag a reservation two days before when the plans for the trip were coming together. We sat by the window and had a very friendly server, making for my last time there the year before where service was terrible!

2YpsXc4.png

I got an Old Fashioned as with the amount of liquor I had been drinking today, I didn’t want to switch it up for wine. My husband judged me on that when I told him I didn’t get wine at California Grill.

z8JlpOm.png

Sonoma Maple Bourbon Old Fashioned - Sonoma Brothers Bourbon, Vanilla Maple Syrup, Angostura Bitters, and Luxardo Cherries with an Orange Twist

I ordered a few appetizers as my meal and my mother did the same. To start, I had the sashimi tuna dish. The tuna was excellent as were the elements of the dish it was presented with. Nice variety in flavors and textures with them! (& @TCB in FLA - not all Tuna & Bourbon is a meal gone wrong!)

BYacceH.png

Shiso-Glazed Tuna - Ahi Tuna, Pineapple-Brown Butter, Shishito Vinaigrette, Sweet and Salty Cashews, Avocado, Sea Cress

I also got beer & cheese soup. This probably wasn’t the wisest choice as it didn’t go with the other dishes I was having. It also ate better as a dip for the pretzel or the sourdough bread than it did a soup. My mom and I ended up splitting this for those reasons and due to the amount of richness the dish had. Between both of us, we still didn’t clean the plate!

6LQSIG4.png

Beer & Cheese Soup - Potato-Celery Root Foam, Hand-braided Pretzel, Garlic Butter, Heirloom Apple

My mother’s first appetizer was a salad. She was happy enough with it and loved the dressing so much she asked for extra.

tf11aJj.png

Hearts of Romaine - Avocado Dressing, Point Reyes Blue Cheese, Miso-Honey Bacon, Yuzu Kosho-Sourdough Croutons

My third appetizer was the short rib wontons which were wonderful. Just the right amount of food to fill me up!

SfLcNpp.png

Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons - Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic-Chili Oil, Radish, Pickled Lotus Root

My mother got her favorite California Grill dish for her meal. She has always loved that ravioli and will continue to do so. If it ever gets removed, she will protest loudly!

UsWowgr.png

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli - Tomato-Fennel Broth, Crispy Mushrooms, Tiny Basil, Arbequina Organic Olive Oil

An excellent meal! We headed back to the hotel for the night. I watched tv on my phone before bed.

The next morning, my mother was up early and left by 6:30AM to head home. I waited a bit as I would be picking up Qi’ra at 9:30AM from the dog show grounds in Ocala and got to see the wonderful sunrise off the lake.

sAHWmo9.png

Sunrise

Qi’ra was super happy to see me and was very happy to be on her way home!

yV98Pbo.png

mVjulnI.png

Qi’ra

And so concludes this bonus feature!​

That California Grill dinner looks yummy and totally would have ordered the same! Qi’ra is beautiful and does look happy to see you! Can’t wait for your next trip but I think it’s just before mine! I’m not waiting so patiently.. haha!

Love the bonus report. That tuna looks great as does the goat cheese ravioli. And I've heard those short rib wontons are amazing. Hard to go wrong with California Grill.

Just saw Swan and Dolphin announced their festival/classic is Nov 6-7, 2020. See you there??

The roll with the cheese soup looked absolutely delicious! I hope it tasted as good as it looked!

Looks delish! I guess when thinking about a “tuna and bourbon“ combo gone bad, it was more along the the canned stuff and Kentucky Gentleman rather than the California Grill version.

We'd only been to Misners twice but I have zero interest in checking this place out. Seems so out of place in GF and just a "themed" excuse to charge way too much for alcohol

got an Old Fashioned as with the amount of liquor I had been drinking today, I didn’t want to switch it up for wine. My husband judged me on that when I told him I didn’t get wine at California Grill.

z8JlpOm.png
It's really all about balance!

BYacceH.png

Shiso-Glazed Tuna - Ahi Tuna, Pineapple-Brown Butter, Shishito Vinaigrette, Sweet and Salty Cashews, Avocado, Sea Cress
Wow, that looks absolutely amazing. Think this may be one of the prettiest dishes I've ever seen disney put out

I also got beer & cheese soup. This probably wasn’t the wisest choice as it didn’t go with the other dishes I was having. It also ate better as a dip for the pretzel or the sourdough bread than it did a soup
Tuna and Beer Cheese Soup? You mean that wasn't a good combination :confused3

SfLcNpp.png

Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons - Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic-Chili Oil, Radish, Pickled Lotus Root
Now this and tuna does seem perfect. Still recall these littler purses of heaven from our August trip and how dang good there were

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter