She Won't Remember It! A princess's first trip - Jan. 25-Feb.1 2014

missasmom

Earning My Ears
Hello and welcome to my first trip report! We traveled to WDW in January and had such a wonderful time. I read this board many times while planning our trip and it was so helpful that I decided to post a report and share our trip with you. The whole focus of the trip was to take my three year old (just a few months away from being four) daughter to WDW for the first time. The title of the report is because, well, when you tell people you are taking a three year old to Disney, the first thing you hear from some is, "Why? She won't remember it. Why don't you take her when she is older?". It has been six months now and she still talks about the trip, still wants to look at the pictures, still asks when we are going back and most importantly, I remember it and it was magical! ;)

DH and I visited WDW once together since we have been married, before DD was born. It was a great trip, great food especially! However this time around, it was all about meeting Mickey, Minnie, princesses, eating at character meals and having fun with our princess!

I hope you enjoy reading along. Let's get started!

We have a granddaughter who is 3. We took her to WDW for the second time in March. She remembers it, too. And, as you said, WE remember the looks on their faces! I'm in! :coffee:

Your daughter is adorable! Can't wait to read along.

Thank you! So happy to have you along!

We have a granddaughter who is 3. We took her to WDW for the second time in March. She remembers it, too. And, as you said, WE remember the looks on their faces! I'm in! :coffee:

Yes! Exactly! There is something pretty wonderful about that look of complete and total amazement when they see Mickey or their favorite princess. Welcome!

well, as someone who took his daughter when she was 8 months old, 2 years and 8 months and 4 years and 8 months I fully agree with you!

Amelia is all sorts of cute in her Snow White dress! Glad you had such a good trip!

well, as someone who took his daughter when she was 8 months old, 2 years and 8 months and 4 years and 8 months I fully agree with you!

Amelia is all sorts of cute in her Snow White dress! Glad you had such a good trip!

How Fun! Lucky girl! Thank you and welcome!

The Place:

The Plans:
Saturday, January 25th
Travel Day

Sunday, January 26th
Hollywood Studios
Dinner at Hollywood & Vine (Fantasmic Dinner Package)

Monday, January 27th
Epcot in the morning
Breakfast at Akershus
Lunch at Coral Reef

Break at the hotel

Then to the Magic Kingdom for the Main Street
Electrical Light Parade and Wishes

Tuesday, January 28th
Animal Kingdom
Lunch at Tusker House

Break at the hotel

Dinner at Be Our Guest

Wednesday, January 29th
Magic Kingdom
Dinner at Ohana

Thursday, January 30th
Hollywood Studios
Lunch at the 50's Prime Time Café

Friday, January 31st
Magic Kingdom
Breakfast at Cinderella’s Royal Table

Saturday, February 1st
Departure Day

Did our plans change? Why yes, yes they did...

Saturday, January 25th
This was our travel day. Unfortunately, we got off to a very rough start! On Thursday afternoon, Amelia mentioned that one of her friends, one she had been playing with earlier that day, had "spit out her corn" and "now I'm going to spit out my corn too, Mama". Yep, that is three-year-old speak for I'm going to start throwing up two days before we leave on vacation. Considering Amelia has rarely been ill, it was stressful. She was home all day Friday, the day before our flight, and our flight on Saturday did not leave until 3:30 pm, so we decided to wait and see how she would feel before making any decisions about the trip. But, my Mama's intuition was worried… Friday, she seemed to be bouncing back, no more getting sick, a good nap and even playing, so we hoped it was a 24 hour bug and decided we'd probably be okay by the time we started in the parks on Sunday. We thought we will just take it easy the first couple of days we are there. We left for the airport Saturday afternoon and although she was definitely lower energy, she seemed to feel okay overall. She even had a water and cracker snack on the way.

Once we were at the airport, we found out that our flight was delayed about an hour and a half. It ended up being a two hour delay. Amelia played with her LeapPad while we waited and I got her to drink some more water. I was still pretty uneasy with the idea of traveling with her not feeling great, so DH and I discussed canceling since we had trip insurance, but in the end we decided to go ahead. It was a very uneventful flight, Amelia played some more with her LeapPad and my iPad and snoozed some.

We located the Magical Express and went right onto our bus with our Magic Bands. There were only one other family and one couple riding our bus, so we were on our way quickly. Unfortunately, I am lacking in photos for this first leg of the trip, there was just too much going on. Plus, it was just so sad to see Amelia feeling bad when we were doing things that normally she would have just loved.

Not a great picture, but we were driving through the main gate.

And that is where the pictures stop. we saw some of Wishes from our bus as we stopped at the Poly and the Grand Floridian before arriving at the Wilderness Lodge. We were quite fortunately the last stop and the only ones left on the bus, because just as we pulled up in front of the WL, Amelia threw up on my husband! I quickly whipped out a plastic bag I had put in my carry on, so we didn't make too much of a mess. The bus driver was very kind, as was the hotel staff and everyone made sure we got to our room quickly. I was told several times that kids throw up here all the time. I believe it, as everyone was so helpful. We got to our room, got her cleaned up and put her to bed. She was asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. However, DH and I were up most of the night, making sure she was okay, getting sips of water, waiting for luggage, etc.

So, not a great start, certainly not what I imagined when I planned this trip, but such is life with a preschooler. It does get better though, I promise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter