She's Staying DVC, a September 2018 PTR

This is something we are really looking forward to this year, because we missed it more than we thought we would last year.
Was this one of the reasons why you went back to a September trip instead of August?

And the pulled pork slider, that was great too! We always have loved using snack credits at Food and Wine, and to make up for that this year we think we'll buy the special food and wine gift cards, because we aren't going to let not being on the plan slow down our culinary tour of World Showcase.
The pulled pork slider is one of my favorites. I like using gift cards to pay for the food. Besides saving 5% by buying them at Target, they are easier to use than the MB. I don't like the extra step of putting in a PIN when using the MB.

Beer-braised Beef served with Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes — $5.25
This sounds really good. I'll have to look for it. I haven't gone over any of the menus, yet. I usually create a list of what we want to try and then we can never find the booths when we go to Epcot. ;)

In other news Disney has confirmed that Artist Point with in fact become a character meal with Snow White, two dwarfs and even the evil queen! I'm super excited about the changes here and it is now on our must do list for the next trip.
We have a lot of good memories from our meals at Artist Point. We will be celebrating my husband's birthday at Artist Point on our upcoming trip. I am sure that WL will draw a good size crowd with the Snow White character meal. She is an under-utilized princess. But we will miss Artist Point's menu. We aren't fans of Whispering Canyon Cafe and I don't think that we would go to a character meal for dinner, which means we'll just have to go to Trail's End for dinner from now on. :)

This sounds really good. I'll have to look for it. I haven't gone over any of the menus, yet. I usually create a list of what we want to try and then we can never find the booths when we go to Epcot. ;)

For F&W last year, we had good luck with a free app called "WDW Food & Wine." It allows you to select the items that you want to try (and check them off once you try them) and view those items in either list or map form.

We're doing a Disney Cruise in November and I plan on ordering the escargot for the kids to try. I'm not sure I'm game but I thought it'd be fun for the kids.
Sure, how bad can it be? I like the idea of trying them at Food and Wine because it isn't a huge commitment. Worst case we take a bite and move on to something better.

Your food & wine list sounds incredible. It's making me hungry!
I know, right? And that's just the key items that we texted each other back and forth yesterday (so we decided to post them). We'll see what we actually find and get to try, but we know it'll all be good.

I am really excited about this too. I know it won't be ready for our next trip but next year this is on our must-do list. I've never eaten at Artist Point so I have no idea what I'm missing out on but a character meal with dwarfs and the evil queen sounds amazing!
Yeah, it will be neat to see. As with anything, change is inevitable. Like others we have concerns about the increased crowds at the resort, but bringing in people is what makes money, and that is the goal.

Was this one of the reasons why you went back to a September trip instead of August?
Yes, that and hoping for lighter crowds and maybe a little better weather. We'll see, since you never know what the weather will do, but it looks good for the lack of crowds. Also with Allie's school schedule change we couldn't go late August, so it would have been even more crowded and we didn't want that.

The pulled pork slider is one of my favorites. I like using gift cards to pay for the food. Besides saving 5% by buying them at Target, they are easier to use than the MB. I don't like the extra step of putting in a PIN when using the MB.
Mmm, I want one of those sliders for lunch... We are going to pick up our last three gift cards from Target this weekend. We hope to have enough to cover our food for the trip, and a good portion of our park ticket upgrade. Not having to enter a PIN will be nice, and is a benefit we hadn't thought of.

Yeah, we've never planned ahead much for Food and Wine, and find the exploring around to be part of the fun. We did study the map some though, because some items look to be worth seeking out. We'll also download the app that @joules12 suggested.

We have a lot of good memories from our meals at Artist Point. We will be celebrating my husband's birthday at Artist Point on our upcoming trip. I am sure that WL will draw a good size crowd with the Snow White character meal. She is an under-utilized princess. But we will miss Artist Point's menu. We aren't fans of Whispering Canyon Cafe and I don't think that we would go to a character meal for dinner, which means we'll just have to go to Trail's End for dinner from now on. :)
It is tough when favorites change. Our AP experience during our honeymoon wasn't great, but that was more of a service issue. We generally have avoided it since we didn't want to spend two dining plan credits on a meal. Now that we are going OOP, there were other Signatures we preferred to try first this year. Jon and Brandy did it last year, and enjoyed it but didn't see it as a must repeat. I think WL will do some food service re-arranging to accommodate the former AP clientele. Even the Disney announcement made reference to future announcements about where some menu favorites from AP could be found. I wonder about maybe up-scale selections at Geyser Point, or perhaps a change of pace for WCC? Time will tell.

Speaking of Trail's End, we were following the Hoop De Doo closure rumor earlier this week closely. There was an article on the Dis saying it might be closing to make room for future resort expansion in the area. Yesterday they retracted the article and stated that Disney says Hoop De Doo will stay open, but there's always concerns. I figure if the next DVC resort is built on the old River Country site, the current FW marina area may be redeveloped, putting the current Hoop De Doo and Trail's End in Jeopardy. I hope it doesn't happen, but I see it as a very real possibility as the new resort may need more space than just River Country.

For F&W last year, we had good luck with a free app called "WDW Food & Wine." It allows you to select the items that you want to try (and check them off once you try them) and view those items in either list or map form.
Thanks for that! I am headed to the app store to download it now!

Years and years and years ago, Artist Point used to have a character breakfast with Pooh and Friends that we attended when our sons were little...I'm super excited about the new changes, but hope they keep some of the menu items the same, like the mushroom soup. YUM!!!

Years and years and years ago, Artist Point used to have a character breakfast with Pooh and Friends that we attended when our sons were little...I'm super excited about the new changes, but hope they keep some of the menu items the same, like the mushroom soup. YUM!!!
We never saw AP as a character meal, but had heard about it. Storytellers Cafe at the Grand Californian is one of our favorites, and does character meal breakfasts and not later in the day. We love it, and have been for both.
I bet the menu items from AP show up regularly elsewhere at WL, the question will be where...

We are so close now, we basically just have one more day of work, and a night of waiting to get up and leave.

Meanwhile I've actually been working so I can enjoy the vacation...

Somebody has to. I've even been spending time today tracking flights. FlightAware has some awesome data, and it turns out that our plane we will be on Thursday is currently in Cleveland. That sort of scheduling stuff fascinates me.

I've also been checking out our My Disney Experience pages, and last night saw it switch to 2 days remaining just after midnight Eastern.

I can't believe we are this ready to go though, we are completely packed and it's looking like smooth sailing into Thursday morning.

Yeah, we have never been this ready this early. It makes the last few days go a little slower, but that's ok, it is great to know that we are ready. Now if only I could find the September resort activity calendars online...

I do like this pace better, I don't know what tomorrow night is going to be like if I'm not doing last minute packing.

Me either, but I bet there will be some YouTube videos involved...

Truth, we still haven't watched all of them.

And thanks to AJ's DFB videos, I think we have all learned something, or at least had a really nice time thinking about the trip. Even Allie says she really likes her videos, and complains when we watch somebody else's YouTube videos.

ETA: Melissa found this one and sent it to me. It is an hour of the WL lobby, with sound and video. Nice background for an afternoon at "work".

I think that's about all for now. We'll let you know when we're waiting to head to the airport...

Last edited:

Eeeek! So glad I found your post! We leave tomorrow (9/7) and will be staying at AKL ... we have a 7 y/o DD and almost 2 y/o DS. Fingers crossed both our families have excellent weather, low crowds and loads of magic. :)

Eeeek! So glad I found your post! We leave tomorrow (9/7) and will be staying at AKL ... we have a 7 y/o DD and almost 2 y/o DS. Fingers crossed both our families have excellent weather, low crowds and loads of magic. :)
Welcome! You joined just in time. We love going this time of year, and this will be our fifth time going this week. (We went in August instead last year and it was more crowded, but we did avoid a Hurricane...).
Congratulations on your trip. AKL is a beautiful resort, and we think we will do a lodge split stay next year. We are having dinner at Jiko on Tuesday and will walk around and check out the resort.
Our fingers are crossed too. The weather looks pretty consistent, and the crowd forecasts seem good, but as we know that doesn’t mean it will be empty. We are on a full flight in right now...
Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter