• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shipping purchases home

Mickeycrazy

Mouseketeer
Hello,
I understand the Disney merchants can ship your purchases to your home so that you don't have to lug them on the airplane. Anyone have any experiences with this service? I assume they wait until your departure to ship so that someone will be home to sign. Any problems with damage or lost items?

I have shipped many things (cookie jars, tea pots, telephones) home. Last February when I was there, they were offering free shipping on snow globes. I collect the Winnie the Pooh snowglobes, so I bought the double 100 acres snowglobe, used my DC for my 10% discount and got free shipping. I have never had a problem with the shipping. Everything always arrived in good shape. I would do this again without hesitation.

Originally posted by Mickeycrazy
Hello,
I understand the Disney merchants can ship your purchases to your home so that you don't have to lug them on the airplane. Anyone have any experiences with this service? I assume they wait until your departure to ship so that someone will be home to sign. Any problems with damage or lost items?

We had pillows shipped home during one of our 2001 trips. We had it shipped to my husbands parents so worring about someone being home was not an issue for us. I guess you could ask if they could hold on to the package and not ship it until a later date but I am not sure how that would work.

I posted on the Disney Tips board about this subject several weeks ago. Sorry, but I don't know how to link.

We did quite a bit of shopping at The World of Disney in DTD. We received 10% off with our DC card, and then we had the items shipped home from the store. We didn't have to pay Florida state sales tax, because it was shipped to another state (where they don't have a World of Disney store), so the shipping was paid for by what we would have paid on sales tax.

The items arrived home one day after us. They told us to allow about 2 days for them to be packaged up for shipping, and then about 6-7 days for shipping. We chose the cheapest shipping, which was UPS Ground I think.

We will definitely do this again on our next trip. It saved us having to worry that everything would fit into a suitcase, and the items are insured in case anything breaks.

We didn't try shipping from the resort, because we had read several reports that it took a long time for the items to be received. Also, that way you don't save with the Florida sales tax, which you have already paid on the items where you purchased them. :):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We always send items home. We, or I, always over buy. My name and address are on file in the resort computer because we send so much home. The front desk has always been great about finding boxes for us. We always have anything we buy at the World of Disney in DTD sent to our home.

Also, that way you don't save with the Florida sales tax, which you have already paid on the items where you purchased them.

Do you let them know at the counter that you need them shipped to avoid sales tax? I assumed at the register tax is automatic. Also, is The World of Disney the only place you can avoid sales tax, or will any of the Disney stores in and out of the Park grounds not only ship, but allow you to avoid the sales tax?

When you go to check out, just tell them you want to ship it home, thye will have you fill out the paper work, and they will take the tax off right then.
My mother also ship home a few boxes of stuff from DTD, mostly from the X-mas store, she has a 12 foot X-mas with nothing but Disney. This year after our 2nd trip in 9 months we or should i say "ME" will have to put up a 2nd tree.:)

HRCCrazy aka Big John:p

Mickeycrazy,
To save on the sales tax, you must ship the items from the store that you buy them at. This is good at any store in Disney.

If you buy something at say, Mousegears, and then decide 2 days later that you want to ship it home from your resort, you have already paid the sales tax at Mousegears, and the resort won't reimburse you for it. Plus you will also have to pay shipping. That's why it is better if you are planning to ship, to do it at the time of purchase at the store you purchased it at.:):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

That's why it is better if you are planning to ship, to do it at the time of purchase at the store you purchased it at.

This is great info, and another reason why this board is the best!! :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter