Shipping terms?

BaymaxFan78

Enthusiast
I ordered a package from bestbuy last night after being told it wouldn't be arriving in stores for a while (literally the entire state is sold out). It said it wouldn't arrive until August 2nd but today I just got an email saying it has been shipped. I've never really understood what shipped means. Like does the delivery service have it at a warehouse now? or is it on a truck on the way to my house? It also says they don't have a tracking number just yet.

Now their website says new ones can be shipped by July 22 but that's still a while away
Let’s hope that it isn’t on a ship transiting the Persian Gulf! Seriously, I don’t think any 🚢 s are involved. It just means left the suppliers warehouse, I think 🤔,

shipped means it left the warehouse - now what kind of service is a whole 'nother story. It can literally be on the slow boat from China. Shipped means nothing. I get exicited when I get the UPS/Fed Ex text saying my package is out for delivery. Such a happy phrase...."out for delivery".

Let’s hope that it isn’t on a ship transiting the Persian Gulf! Seriously, I don’t think any 🚢 s are involved. It just means left the suppliers warehouse, I think 🤔,
What's happening in the Persian Gulf?

shipped means it left the warehouse - now what kind of service is a whole 'nother story. It can literally be on the slow boat from China. Shipped means nothing. I get exicited when I get the UPS/Fed Ex text saying my package is out for delivery. Such a happy phrase...."out for delivery".
It's coming via UPS, not sure where the warehouse is yet. I'm guessing it just means it's on the way to my local UPS facility?

There are all sorts of weird uses of language that may or may not have anything to do with reality. I've received notices that something had shipped only to see that it hadn't. Some terminology is that a shipment has been scheduled even though the package hasn't been received by the shipper.

A lot of times these are based on best estimates and can be way off. I remember ordering an item once that was claimed to be in stock, getting notices that it would ship when the item came in, and then calling in and getting a refund because the item was effectively discontinued even though it was still listed on the website.

When I get a shipped notification I take it to mean the item is packed, labeled, and in the process of getting to the delivery service.
When I get a tracking number I know the package is in the UPS system. It may not be available to track right away. Usually when I check back 12-24 hours later the details are there.

I get a "shipped" message once the shipping label is printed. It may not actually go out till later that day or even the next day, but the shipping notice is sent with the printing of the label.
I do too. I think I'm going to disengage that one....however I do like it when its something I didn't order and someone generated a label for me.

What's happening in the Persian Gulf?

It's coming via UPS, not sure where the warehouse is yet. I'm guessing it just means it's on the way to my local UPS facility?
"Shipped" generally means one of two things...
1)Shipping label is generated. Doesn't mean the label is even on the package.
2) It is in the outbound stack feom the original warehouse.

Usually these notifications will give you a link or tracking # that you can put in the shipper's system to see more details. I'm willing to bet a label has been created but UPS dowsnt even have the item yet.

It said it wouldn't arrive until August 2nd

Aug 2nd is the expected delivery date. Which is different from shipping date - which can be when the label is generated with a tracking number. But may still sit in the warehouse another couple days before actually being in transit. :rolleyes1

If you can hold off when you get that tracking information you should be able to see what it says/means and match that up to the time you got the notifications.

There's some slight variances to what different places mean when they say "Shipped"

For example if something is coming from my local Amazon warehouse it will say "Shipped" but because it's coming from a local warehouse and often by Logistics (so not UPS, or USPS) shipped doesn't mean it's physically in transit anywhere other than Prime is 2-day shipping (though they are turning it into 1-day for many items over time). This "Shipped" meaning can vary even within Amazon if say it's coming from a 3rd party seller or from an Amazon warehouse not locally. Same thing applies to different places.

Thank you guys for all of the responses! I just found out that the scheduled delivery is this Tuesday, way ahead of the August date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter