Shocked with crowds last week.

So what’s going on today park people? I just looked at wait times and while they definitely aren’t slow, they seem almost moderate. The e-tickets are all up over an hour but there are several that are only an hour and FOP is “only” 2. Several lower tier rides are around 30 mins including princess M&Gs and Belle. Is it bad weather today? Posted wait times off? From watching at home it looks solidly busy but not insane holiday weekend busy. I wonder is 2018 is opposite year or something? The year Disney truly flattened the crowds?
I've been at Blizzard Beach today so can't comment on the parks, but the weather was lovely

We just retuned Saturday from a 8 night stay at Beach Club. I did so much research as to when to visit. I choose that week because of predicted low crowds. I realize its not guaranteed. We've been the second week of December and right after labor day. Both times were pleasant and we did everything we wanted with no crazy crowds. Except at holiday parties. I was IN SHOCK how crowded last week was and everyday at every park. It was literally wall to wall people in many areas. Rides like carpets and dumbo saw 35-40 min waits by 10am!!! Also Ive never encountered so many rides being shut down due to issues. Many we were in line for or actually on the attraction. It was really disappointing. There were many things we never got to do because they crowds. Even fast pass lines would be backed up way past the queues. Dont get me wrong we had fun and did a lot but all the crowds def make a difference in your experience and especially how much you pay for everything there. It makes me sad they just shove more and move people in the parks. Its really not enjoyable anymore. Im sorry when you can hardly walk and every ride is over 35 minutes how can anyone really have fun. We never even ate lunch at AK because all the food lines were horribly long so we just got snacks.

Beach club was a let down as well. We've stayed at AK Lodge and Contemporary both times were 1 bedroom villas, very spacious and had more than one bathroom (at least toilet area) Beach club had 1 and the layout was awful. So many doors in one little space. Check in was not up to par and I couldn't get something that I had paid for delivered because there was no one to deliver it?? It was just a let down thats for sure especially for a deluxe resort.

Some good things. We took a Minnie Van one morning to MK that was great! Fantasyland Early Morning magic is well worth it especially if its high crowds! We rode Mine train 4 times! FOP holly molly hands down the best ride Ive been on in my entire life. We were lucky and had fast passes!! We didn't get to do Navi river after we hiked there at rope drop with the herds of people to only find it broken down ( shocker) we were on our last day ... and by the time it was up and running the wait was well over an hour and half. I was just happy we got to do FOP because it was incredible.

Sad our trip wasn't as magical as past years as we wont be going back for a long time, I think we'll try a cruise in the next couple years though!

What was the cost of the Minnie Van? We are staying at the BC and I'm thinking it would be easier to do that rather than take bus and boat to Artist Point in the WL.

What was the cost of the Minnie Van? We are staying at the BC and I'm thinking it would be easier to do that rather than take bus and boat to Artist Point in the WL.

There are many threads on the Transportation board that discuss Minnie Vans: https://www.disboards.com/forums/transportation.16/

But to answer your question, it's a flat $25 fee per Minnie Van one-way trip.

I am wondering- do the international guests (i.e. Brazilians and Argentinians) use a version of MDE? If Disney truly is using the FP+ data for staffing, as it would make absolute sense that they would, but these guests don't use MDE or don't follow the same pattern, that could potentially have an impact. The time period in question could be a weird anomaly based on the timing of Easter/Carnival this year. The kids are off for the summer, and many parents have an extended time off for Carnival. If Disney expected moderate crowds, then a relatively unexpected influx of people come in... Anyone with insight?

I think you are right about the 'New Disney'. We were at POFQ last May and I asked a cast member about the crowded parks and she said that Disney is trying to 'even out' the attendance throughout the year. No more 'slow times' I'm afraid.
I agree & now find summer & holidays less crowded. This past week was Mardi Gras week. I have been during Mardi Gras 4 times since 2009 & it’s always packed. It has been the most crowded times I’ve ever visited including nye (except actual nye day). We just booked a quick trip for Easter weekend & there is more availability for FPs & dining for that weekend this last minute than there was for Mardi Gras week at 60 days out.

Yes! The last few trips we've made I feel like I spend more time on my phone in the parks than I do just enjoying my vacation. Part of what I loved about vacation (and even more so the "disney bubble") is being able to detach from my phone and the outside world a little bit. With MDE and FP+ it makes so much of vacation dependent on the use of my phone. I will say that our last trip (October 2016) we stayed deluxe for first time (split Poly/AKL) and since I wanted to get my money's worth out of the resorts, I broke from our usual commando touring style and we got there at rope drop or a little after most mornings, took in what we could, and left after or at lunch to go spend 2-4 hours at the resort. There were even a couple days I didn't book FP+ nor had I decided which park(s) we were going to until the night before or even that morning -- a drastic change from my planned down to the hour trips of the past. I really enjoyed this style and am looking forward to trying it again this October (though my sister, niece, and dad are going with us for their first visit, and while I am all for helping them plan, I have also said not to expect me to stay in parks the whole time with them --plus they want to eat different restaurants than us, etc.). We've been so many times now (and still find "new to us" things to do each trip) that I am learning to let go of my commando, detailed itinerary style and just relax a little more as I know I don't have to cram it all in, which in return will allow me to not spend as much time on my phone while in the parks I hope.
My DH & I go often & have gotten used to the scheduled touring style & prefer it to waiting in long lines since we are used to it. But, we brought my MIL this trip who had never been. This is when I first noticed how ridiculous & cumbersome the scheduling is. First, she was never on time so that made things extremely difficult since it is not easy to reschedule certain FPs or ADRs. Also, she missed a lot of detail that makes WDW special b/c we had to rush to stay on schedule so we could fit everything in that she wanted to see.

I was there from 2/7 - 2/12 and yes, it was crowded! Luckily I know how to work the FP's so we did ok but it really does put a damper on things when non-headlining rides have 45-70 minute waits! Too many times do we find ourselves somewhat lost as to what to do next because we either have to suck it up and get in a long line (for a 2 minute ride) or just shop/eat until our next FP window or ADR. I also feel like i'm on my phone a lot trying to navigate my day which does cause you to miss some of the atmosphere - and the restrictions of the tiers make it more difficult. I am so thankful we did DAH! I think it was the best 3 hours we spent in MK.

I think Disney is more worried about getting as many people in the parks as possible to maximize profits and less worried about our actual experience and enjoyment.

You definitely hit the nail on the head!

I don't begrudge Disney for wanting to make money. After all they are a business. But when I leave Disney, I have a sour taste in my mouth. Crowded parks, broken down rides, parks that need love and TLC and get it slowly, being nickled and dimed for everything, $20 to park, etc, etc, etc.

I do agree with the poster above - don’t begrudge Disney making money either. We have been going since 2001 & just got back from our trip 1/30-2/10. Have one another trip planned for June 5-11. The June trip is a promised graduation trip for my nephew. If not for the promise made 6 years ago I would not be going back in June. The crowds were so bad in February I am dreading June. My annual pass expires October 2018 which will not be renewed.

I do agree with the poster above - don’t begrudge Disney making money either. We have been going since 2001 & just got back from our trip 1/30-2/10. Have one another trip planned for June 5-11. The June trip is a promised graduation trip for my nephew. If not for the promise made 6 years ago I would not be going back in June. The crowds were so bad in February I am dreading June. My annual pass expires October 2018 which will not be renewed.

That’s the spirit

You are going to get a lot of foreign visitors when you have a sharply dropping dollar as we saw throughout 2017 and continuing into 2018.

Last edited:

I’ve been in summer the past 2 of 3 years and have found the crowds extremely manageable. One was with a group of 11 who all moved through the park together and didn’t wait in a line longer than 20 minutes. Summer might be the new “slow” season.

Was Blizzard Beach crowded?
Not at all. There was a very large South American tour group there, but they were packing up and leaving at lunch time. we did DDD back to back walk ons at 10:30, walked on slush gusher at 12:00, and pretty much walked on Teamboat Springs all day.

I’ve been in summer the past 2 of 3 years and have found the crowds extremely manageable. One was with a group of 11 who all moved through the park together and didn’t wait in a line longer than 20 minutes. Summer might be the new “slow” season.

Hoping for this.
Been very blessed to be able to go to WDW. Just needing a break. Better to not go then to be one of those that are ‘cranky guests’

I went in July and actually thought it was less packed then a lot of my previous fall trips.

I feel like these threads pop up all the time now and there are about 3 standard responses:

-I was there at the same time and thought it wasn't crowded at all!
-My state has their random 5th week of school off for the year during that time, or...that's the random holiday of such and such.
-there are no non-crowded times anymore.

I probably agree with the third. I wouldn't try or hope for a low crowd time. It does seem like there might be a few random weeks anymore, but they are just that, random. Can't really plan for them.

I just went 1/28-2/.4 and agree with others in this thread -- it was a lot more crowded, and the wait times longer, than I expected and it brought the overall experience down a notch. My husband and I have talked in depth about it and I think that Disney has found a way to balance their staffing and ride capacity with crowds in a way they feel people will tolerate. Gone are the days of going any time of the year and having rides be walk-ons. Disney has weighed how long people are willing to wait for rides and they adjust to keep that standard. I don't begrudge them, but this is the first time in a long time I've gone to Disney and was ready to leave when the trip was up -- the crowds were just really overwhelming to me. It is what it is -- but from now on I'm going to go when it works for my family's schedule and not pay attention to crowd calendars.

We were there 01/31 - 02/05, which is the week we normally go for the past 7 years. While we utilized fp+ quite a bit, we did find the line ups for rides quite long and weren't able to do as much without a fp as in previous years. However, that said, we were effecient and got onto almost everything we wanted. I think you have to be smart with your expectations and plan as much as possible. Gone are the days to just wing it unless of course, you go often. We still had a great time though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter