Shoe Longevity

asheleycs

Mouseketeer
How long do running shoes last for most of you? I've read the standard 300-600 mile advice. However, I'm lucky to get to 200 miles in mine. I run in Nike Pegasus, and have forever (and have been fitted for them). I know I'm hard on shoes--I'm 230 pounds, so not exactly light on my feet, LOL. And the Pegasus is a neutral ride, high cushioned shoe, so I could imagine the cushioning wearing quickly. I can usually tell by my heels--my achilles tends to get sore.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't love buying shoes all the time, but I can afford if needed, and preventing injury is really important. Just curious if I'm the only one who goes through running shoes so quickly.

I also run in Pegasus - I get 250-300 miles out of a pair. I have run in many shoes over the years and never got more than 350 miles out of a pair with anything resembling a mid-sole cushion remaining. Sure, shoe exteriors last longer, but once the mid-sole is broken down the shoe is no longer doing what it was designed to do - might as well be running in Keds.

I use saucony guide's and granted im only about 170lbs I get like 500miles atleast out of them. which is sad because they still look brand new but they make my left foot go numb.

Check out runners world shoe finder find out a different brand maybe? Nike's have never lasted for me, Just buying the name IMO. saucony and brooks have always lasted me and are great shoes. (i think you'd want the brooks ghost if i remember right)

are you running in them or are you lifting in them as well? I just ask because after I got a specific pair of lifting shoes (reebok crossfit 4.0) my runners started to last ALOT longer.

I have never had good luck with Nike running shoes. I like Brooks, their shoes last a lot longer and are a better build quality.

My Asics typically last about 350-400 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

I get about 400 miles out of my shoes, but again, everyone is different.

The Nike Pegasus is a great shoe. I wouldn't consider it super high cushioned (The Vomero would be the more high cushioned neutral in that brand), but I could see it wearing pretty quickly.

I would try looking at a Saucony Ride or Triumph. With their new Everrun system, they are claiming you get 3x more wear out of their shoes. I have personally had good luck with Mizuno and Brooks. My husband loves Saucony and Asics.

Another suggestion would be to have two to three pairs of shoes in a rotation. That way, you are giving the shoes a little bit more recovery time between wears and thereby increasing the longevity going forward. I have about four shoes going right now - one pair for long runs, one pair for speed work, and then two pair for regular everyday runs or to mix in if I feel like it. They are different brands and each one fits a little differently, depending on what I'm using it for.

Hope that helps.

I think there are a lot of things that can impact how long a shoes midsole will last.
1. The surface that you are running. If you are running on trails or treadmills you'll probably be able to get more miles out of your shoes than if you are running on concrete or asphalt.
2. The material the midsole is made out of. EVA foam is the material running shoes were traditionally made out of. It's subject to change based on the temperature it will get harder when it's cold and softer when it's hot. People above have mentioned Saucony's with Everrun. This material is similar to Adidas's Boost material. Both of those are subject to change less than EVA foam based on surroundings both are also supposed to hold up better than EVA as well. I have both Saucony Triumph and Adidas Energy Boost and both have anecdotally held up better than my eva foam shoes. I personally like the Adidas better than the Saucony but that's a matter of personal preference.
3. You. Your weight, the shape of of your foot and arch and your stride all determine how much force is being applied to the foam in the midsole. As coach Charles used to say we are all an experiment of 1. As a result we can talk about the general properties of shoes but ymmv.

TL: DR Everybody is diffferent, but there are new materials that are being used instead of EVA like Sacouny Everrun and Adidas Boost that are more durable and can be used to make longer lasting shoes.

I've been getting 400-450 out of my Brooks but the last pair I may have run a bit long on before noticing how bad they were because they felt fine for most of that time. Now I've been trying to pay more attention to the wear on them. As others have said, your mileage may vary but making sure your shoes are good to run in is most important and that sounds like what you're doing.

Thanks all. It sounds like the ultimate answer "do whatever feels right on your feet", though maybe experiment a little. :-)

I'm late to the party here, but I'll chime in: I'm under 120lbs and never, ever get more than 300 miles out of my running shoes. I've worn Asics, Brooks, Newtons, Altras, Sauconys... brand makes no difference. They're usually ready to go at 250, but I try to squeeze out close to another 50... and almost always regret it lol! I'm a forefoot striker, so all of my wear is in the forefoot area, which is never as beefy as the heel, so I'm sure that plays into it. And I run in FL on nearly all concrete sidewalks: the heat plus hard surface plays into wear, I'm sure.

I get 380 miles on Brooks Ghost (170 lbs.) One thing I've learned: retire them *before* they feel worn out.

I track the mileage online and replace them based on the 'odometer', not tread or feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter