Shoes for standing in lines

musicmom3331

Mouseketeer
I have great shoes for walking, but they're not so great for standing in lines. It seems that someone has turned up the gravity every time I have to stand too long. Does anyone have a favorite pair of "standing shoes?"

I've just started wearing Hoka sneakers - they seem to be better for walking and standing than any other shoes I have tried. I've worn them on two Disney trips and my legs/feet/back are happier for it. Their colors aren't my favorite, but the comfort makes up for it. They are also great for trail hiking/running when I am at home.

Standing hurts, that's for sure. While working out the shoe question, I also recommend doing core exercises as part of conditioning for the trip. Core strength helps you hurt less while standing.

To the parks I wear my vans - although they typically offer zero support, I've had them for four years and have worn them to perfection! I wear nikes, too. I always bring a pair of reefs (the world's comfiest flip flops) to change into when a line is especially hurting my feet.

Skechers memory foam are my personal favorite!

I just bought a pair of these for my September trip! I have not had them before but they looked like a good idea. Now the question is how much do I have to wear them (and for how long) in order to break them in but not wear them out? LOL

I just bought a pair of these for my September trip! I have not had them before but they looked like a good idea. Now the question is how much do I have to wear them (and for how long) in order to break them in but not wear them out? LOL
I'd wear them for a month or so before you go to get them broken in!

On our last trip (7 days) I rotated between Skechers Airwalk sneakers and my Nike sneakers. Worked out pretty well for me and I'm a large mammal (6'2 325lb).

The key for me is to switch shoes every day, sometimes twice in the same day. All shoes have pressure points and the idea is to limit the amount of time on a single pressure point and allow it to heal. I travel with 4 pairs of shoes plus Sanuk flip flops. Shoes are a combination of Crocs, Sketchers, and Ecco sandals.

And don't forget the moleskin - even with the best shoes I always feel a blister forming - helps too for preventative if you have those pressure points. I wore Sketchers last time with the yoga mat soles - most comfortable trip I ever had! I agree with the rotating of the shoes...

The key for me is to switch shoes every day, sometimes twice in the same day. All shoes have pressure points and the idea is to limit the amount of time on a single pressure point and allow it to heal. I travel with 4 pairs of shoes plus Sanuk flip flops. Shoes are a combination of Crocs, Sketchers, and Ecco sandals.
This is what has worked the best for me.

Another vote for hokas. It’s like walking on air. Also switching shoes is my strategy too.

I echo the Sketchers memory foam recommendation. I bought 2 pairs last month to break in for this trip. I have been using them to walk to and from my bus and then wearing them on the bus and train -- often standing for most of that time. I am already having less knee and ankle pain than I had with my old shoes.

Skechers Go Walk shoes take pressure off my shoes and back when standing. I also kind of go up and down on my tippy-toes when standing in lines. For some reason it's helpful to me.

Whatever you decide, I strongly vote for rotating shoes during the day, even if its just between two pair. My family (three adults and a small) have a bag dedicated to a change of shoes for the parks. It can be cumbersome but totally worth it. As for the brand of shoe, we all love crocs! A traditional style for the powers walking portions and some croc flip flops for when our feet are sweltering hot and need some air. I know some people think they look dumb but honestly they're so comfortable, who cares, right? If Drew Barrymore and John Cena think they're good shoes, they're good shoes lol

I have a pair of Kuru sneakers. They have actual arch support built into all their shoes. I haven't had sneakers (or shoes of any kind) this supportive in YEARS.

I wore them for my last Disney trip and it was the first Disney trip since 1996 where my feet got NO blistering on them anywhere.

I do not know if there is a good women's version, but Under Armour sneakers for men are excellent. They are robust, comfortable, breathable, and somewhat waterproof.

They look pretty good and can be cleaned easily!

I like the super cushioned Altra shoes. Similar to Hokas in padding with plenty of toe room for breathing in the hot FL humidity :) Seriously, roomy and soft with wicking socks is a magical recipe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter