Short day at SW worth it?

ktate82

DIS Veteran
We will be a group of 8 (3 middle age adults, 3 older adults, and 2 teens) getting off a cruise ship at Port Canaveral on a Friday. Our flight is out of MCO that evening. Figured we would get to Orlando around 10 a.m. and have to be at the airport about 4-4:30. Would that give enough time for a day at Sea World to be worth it? Four of us have been before, but four have never been. I didn't know if that would be enough time to see shows and experience it, or a waste of money for the tickets.

As long as you go into it knowing you are hitting your highlights and not going to see it all, it would be a fun day. You could do a show or 2, a few rides, & an exhibit or 2 - you'd need to prioritize. But obviously you will miss a lot too.

Are those 4-5 hours of fun worth the cost? That's up to you.

Another thought: consider if you're planning to eat something in that time also. It'll take more time, and you're not going to want to go all day on empty stomachs.

As an alternative, look up the options on I-Drive or even a local state park or some such. There are a lot of neat, several hour diversions to pick from. Then you could hit a meal or two in that time also and not be rushing to the airport.

At $80 each, I think I might try something else. At most you might get to SW in time to do 2 shows or ride some of the rides once. You won't have much time there. I would save it for another trip. Will you have a car at the port? Some other ideas.....Maybe do an air boat ride and do lunch somewhere. Go to Disney Springs to shop and have lunch. Go to Titusville and check out the memorials in Space View Park, head over the bridge to Canaveral Sea Shore( $10 per car I think ) and drive the nature trail to experience marsh and mangroves of Florida. Or Go to Ron Jons in Cocoa Beach . Or go to Brevard Zoo in Melbourne and do the tree top tours or the canoe tours.

Much as I adore Seaworld, I'm not sure you'd get the value out of a day pass when you have such a short amount of time at your disposal.

I'd take a look at something that would give you a little more bang for your buck. I'd look at something like the Orlando Eye attractions (the Eye, Sea Life Aquarium, and Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum). Gatorland would also be a great choice, and would be MUCH more cost effective ($20-25 pp versus $80 for SW). An airboat tour, as RabFLmom mentioned, is also a fun alternative.

You could also spend your time well at Disney Springs. Book a mid-day meal at somewhere fun (T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe, Planet Hollywood, or wherever appeals to your group). Do the Characters in Flight balloon ride (tickets for that can often be found on Groupon on the off season.....not sure when your trip is). Visit the Coke Store and meet the Coke Bear (Photopass is there, or you can have the CM snap a pic with your own camera), then share a Tour of the World or a float try on the rooftop bar (around $10 for 16 sample sizes). Have family photos taken at the Photopass studio. Stop at Ghirardelli's and enjoy a free chocolate sample, and enjoy some shopping at all the stores before you head to the airport.

Definitely save SeaWorld for another visit, though....when you can devote a full day (or, preferably 2) to enjoying the park :thumbsup2.

Thanks for the replies. We were debating if it would be "worth it" or not. I think we are going to look at doing something else.

If your teens (or adults) are Star Wars fans, I recommend the Secrets of the Empire VR at the Void in Disney Springs. My teens LOVED it. Max is 4 people per group. Cost around $35 pp, if I recall.

If your teens (or adults) are Star Wars fans, I recommend the Secrets of the Empire VR at the Void in Disney Springs. My teens LOVED it. Max is 4 people per group. Cost around $35 pp, if I recall.

What is the void?

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I'd do it. On cruises you can easily spend that much for an excursion or tour that is shorter than this and no nearly as enjoyable or as pleasant a place. Even several hours at SeaWorld is so much fun. Just prioritize what you want to do.

what time of the year

if talking summer and hangin' at SW .... do you want to get on an airplane all hot and sweaty?

we spent a short day recently (free tickets for military) and a half day in summer FL heat left us hot and whipped .... and we did no rides, just shows ....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter