Shorter booking window

mm824

Mouseketeer
Hello!

I'm trying to understand how DVC works and was wondering if someone might be able to help!

We're considering buying a DVC contract (used). We'd like to frequent the park twice a year (once for F/W and once for a longer stay) but rarely ever book 11 months in advance. For F/W last year, we booked 4 weeks out.

In this case, does it make sense for us to buy a contract for say Beach Club (where we've stayed in the past) if we aren't going to utilize the 11month time frame?

Can anyone speak on how hard it is to secure a reservation, at a home resort, when booking inside of the 7month window?

Thanks so much!

If you are booking 4 weeks out. Buy Saratoga. As you have no advantage. Home resort only matters beyond 7 months.

For F/W your odds of getting any room (studio, 1 bed, 2 bed) are slim to none as it is one of the busiest times for DVC bookings. Many of the studios and 1 beds disappear in the 11 to 7 month range. If you never plan on booking in the 11-7 month window buy SSR as recommended above. If you want to go October through January you need to really be booking closer to 11 months if you want a studio or 2 bed (sometimes exactly 11 months depending on the resort).

Honestly if last minute booking is your thing, then unfortunately dvc is not for you. In my opinion it is one of the biggest weaknesses of the program. Availability approaches zero once you get down to the last few months before a trip. If you can plan in advance (7ish months) you won't be disappointed with the ability to stay at different places, but otherwise I would probably just keep paying cash.

If your not booking greater than 6 months, especially for F&W, you probably should not buy DVC. You may be able to find some openings at SSR or OKW depending on how early you book. It is one of the sacrifices of a timeshare. You really need to plan out your vacations well in advance.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/
Take a look at these availability charts, I find them accurate and very useful for planning purposes.

If you are planning on studios, no resort had open availability inside of 6 months for fall visits. If you really are a last minute visitor, the only options most of the year is single nights here and there. It works for locals with very flexible calendars, but not for others. If you need specific dates 1-2 months out for stays longer than 1 night, DVC is not a good match.

It may depend on the time of year you want to travel, but I just booked two 2 bedroom units at just under 6 months to Bay Lake Tower. My home resort is SSR. If I were you, I'd buy SSR; it's the lowest cost DVC property.
There are a couple of websites that update a couple of times a day which allow you to plug in your travel days so you can see availability.
Google, 'DVC Availability Tool' and you'll find a couple of them.
It's not nearly as bad as some suggest here unless you're trying to stay at Disneyland's Grand Californian. I'll wait and see what it looks like at 7 months for F&W but right now every property has availability for 29 Aug to 1 Sep (start of F&W).

Inside a couple of months, things are pretty tight though so you need to do some advance planning.

From mid-Sept through mid-Jan, you need to book your home resort long before seven months out. You might be able to find a one bedroom or two bedroom at seven months out, but at four weeks out? Nothing. If you got during summer months, it might be a bit easier to book at seven months out. Early May is also a bit easier at seven months out.

DVC is not going to work well for booking last minute and for DVC, that is 3 to 4 months out.

As already noted, if you want to visit F& W, unless it’s the last week in August when it opens...you need to pick and secure dates around 11 months. Even at 7 months it will be spotty.

Buying where you want to stay if you can’t stay elsewhere is important but only if you are going to book far enough ahead to make it count.

Hello!

I'm trying to understand how DVC works and was wondering if someone might be able to help!

We're considering buying a DVC contract (used). We'd like to frequent the park twice a year (once for F/W and once for a longer stay) but rarely ever book 11 months in advance. For F/W last year, we booked 4 weeks out.

In this case, does it make sense for us to buy a contract for say Beach Club (where we've stayed in the past) if we aren't going to utilize the 11month time frame?

Can anyone speak on how hard it is to secure a reservation, at a home resort, when booking inside of the 7month window?

Thanks so much!

As others already said, If you don't plan on booking at least 7 months out, than DVC is not he right product for you. You will end up being sorely disappointed that you can't ever use the points you have, and them expiring.

DVC is a can be a good deal, but it will require changes in the way you book.

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.

Great3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter