Should Doctors Have Their Student Loans Cleared?

Nah. Where do you draw the line? Why just college? Why not mortgage? Car payments?

Every tragedy has heroes. When storms blow thru, your heroes are the line workers.
Farmers work every day to feed you.
Teachers work tirelessly to...teach.
Factory workers, truck drivers, postal workers, gas station workers, etc etc...

I get people are emotional about it, but it seems weird to just pick a role. I'd be all for a go fund me type thing. Let people donate their money, instead of having the government print more.

Maybe minimum wage should be raised so that students can work part-time to pay for college like they could 40 years ago. Or maybe college education is more expensive than it needs to be.
ding ding ding. Winner. Tuition is absurd. My college tuition, at a large state school that has won a national championship in football in the past decade... lol... was $2000 when I attended. My nephew and niece are there now, and it is $11,500. Out of state is 3x that rate. Not everyone should go to college, but everyone thinks everyone needs to go to college.

Last edited:
I had to take out one small loan one semester because the organization I had a scholarship from hired someone new who was late sending stuff to schools. I want to say it was like $3000.

I couldn’t pay off the loan until after I graduated. So after grad I did 3 months of payments and then they told me because of my good payments, the rest was forgiven.

That is the only college loan I’ve ever had, so is that not a usual thing?
Uh no not even remotely usual.

Federal loans are a repayment time period (with normal on-time payments) of 10 years. I had an Endownment loan that was only 2 years of repayment time period. I have private loans that are 20+ years (yes that's insane).

Forgiven because of 3 good payments sounds like a sketchy reason for them to just up and offer like that. Sounds like it was for some other entirely different reason. Usually you can get interest rate reduction after on-time payments for X many months, same for using autodraft.

I agree with hazard pay but not loan forgiveness in this case as it just opens up to way too many people being upset. Can you really blame the hospital out in rural nowhere who hasn't had any COVID-19 patients? Is it the doctor's fault that they haven't had to treat many patients or the staff that hasn't had to either?

Hazard pay is more equitable and something fairly common throughout various industries.

Uh no not even remotely usual.

Federal loans are a repayment time period (with normal on-time payments) of 10 years. I had an Endownment loan that was only 2 years of repayment time period. I have private loans that are 20+ years (yes that's insane).

Forgiven because of 3 good payments sounds like a sketchy reason for them to just up and offer like that. Sounds like it was for some other entirely different reason. Usually you can get interest rate reduction after on-time payments for X many months, same for using autodraft.

Wow, thanks for turning my simple question into making me feel like a criminal and calling it “sketchy”. Sorry you didn’t have the same experience. I worked my rear off in high school and had my entire 4 year state university education paid for (tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies) with merit-based scholarships. Granted that was almost 20 years ago, but still. This was the one hiccup in that entire endeavor.

Wow, thanks for turning my simple question into making me feel like a criminal and calling it “sketchy”. Sorry you didn’t have the same experience. I worked my rear off in high school and had my entire 4 year state university education paid for (tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies) with merit-based scholarships. Granted that was almost 20 years ago, but still. This was the one hiccup in that entire endeavor.
I said it was a sketchy reason (meaning the reason the place gave you for forgiving the loan) not that you were sketchy..lordy please re-read my comment before getting upset :sad2:

And you're really reading way too much into it, becoming defensive and taking a comment, meant to show you your experience was not at all the norm because you asked 'is this not a usual thing?" (to which I answered), in a very personal way. Perhaps step back and re-read my comment again before getting upset over something that had zero to do with you on a personal level :)

I said it was a sketchy reason (meaning the reason the place gave you for forgiving the loan) not that you were sketchy..lordy please re-read my comment before getting upset :sad2:

And you're really reading way too much into it, becoming defensive and taking a comment, meant to show you your experience was not at all the norm, in a very personal way. Perhaps step back and re-read my comment again before getting upset over something that had zero to do with you on a personal level :)

please explain to me how the use of “sketchy“ is in anyway something positive in your comment? No matter if it’s about me or the school or what lender the loan was from, it isn’t.

apparently, my simple question was just a slap in the face for many, so I’m out of this thread.

please explain to me how the use of “sketchy“ is in anyway something positive in your comment? No matter if it’s about me or the school or what lender the loan was from, it isn’t.

apparently, my simple question was just a slap in the face for many, so I’m out of this thread.
Again stop, take a step back and re-read my comment. I can't help it if you take the word sketchy and apply it to you personally when it has nothing to do with you at all as a person.

Explaining that a place telling you that you paying 3 payments equals good payment history and your loan is forgiven is highly unusual and does sound sketchy to me, sounds more like another reason (another poster mentioned the scholarship mixup as a possible rationale) but they gave you the explanation that you paid 3 months worth and you're good. Take that for what you will. You asked if it was usual and the answer is no it isn't.

Enjoy the rest of your day then :)

No. People decide to take out loans. They know the terms when they do. Who's going to pay for that? I don't want to pay for everyone else's loans after having had to pay for mine.
Agreed. I already paid mine and we sacrificed and saved to put DS through 5 years of college with very little student loan debt for him. I'm not paying for everyone else, too.

Um, no. Just no.

Can someone please educate me on how healthcare workers receive ‘hazard pay’? I am familiar with that term when it comes to the military, but have never heard it used in terms of the healthcare field. Thanks!

Um, no. Just no.

Can someone please educate me on how healthcare workers receive ‘hazard pay’? I am familiar with that term when it comes to the military, but have never heard it used in terms of the healthcare field. Thanks!
Because they are risking their health and lives, the last figure I saw was their risk for getting the virus is 11%.

I think someone was proposing that physicians and nurses and other Covid-19 Frontline Workers have all student debt forgiven.

Do you think this will ever happen?

What do you think of this proposal?

Most states already have such a program. If they served in one of New York's most busy covid hospitals then I'd certainly be ok with New York deciding to pay it off partially or completely. And I would think that would be a very nice gesture. If they were in nowhereville Montana, probably not. But I would like maybe a one off bonus paid to such workers to be done with whatever they want even better.

The money has to come from somewhere and there simply isn’t the money to bail everyone out who may deserve it. I mean there’s doctors, nurses, childcare workers, grocery clerks, meat processing workers, etc. Lots of people are carrying the burden of covid. The economy right now has taken a huge hit. Tax revenue is down. We’ve already spent trillions on covid. It’s a nice thought, though.

Um, no. Just no.

It is my understanding (and according to some I know in the profession) that they are receiving extra $$$ per hour or a lump sum payment for completing a certain number of shifts.

This is not normal - this hazard pay is really something that has come about because of COVID. But it is above the normal pay rate.

I don’t know about other hospitals in other areas, but the nurses and techs in my area are paid extra hazard pay. Doctors are not. So, some nurses were actually being paid more than some of the newer doctors. Pays to be in a union sometimes ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter