Should DVC eliminate walking?

If we both decide today to try to book a certain stay 12 months from now we both have the same shot at the room even if you have 1000 points and I only have enough to book 2 nights. Of course if you decided a week ago to start a walk you have an advantage....if I decided a week before you to start a walk I am the one with the advantage. The number of points does not matter (unless you only have enough points to book one night). Walking blocks a room, that is the advantage. Let's say there is only 1 room available and we both want it...whoever gets a reservation/walk started first gets it. If you decide one day later than I do to try to get that room the number of points you own is irrelevant because I have it blocked. I can move the reservation to whatever date I want and you can't stop me. Obviously if you started before me then you have me blocked but again how many points you have isn't what blocks me, the fact that you booked before me is what stops me. There's nothing stopping me from booking before you. Just because I have fewer points doesn't mean I can't start a walk before you can.

But if there is no advantage to walking over not walking and everyone is equal then why do people walk?

There is certainly an advantage to walking over not walking, however there is no advantage to having 10,000 points walking vs someone who is walking with just enough points for 2 nights.

People generally don't walk because:
1. They don't know about it
2. They feel that it is against the rules and do not like to break rules
3. They forgot
4. They feel that it's too much effort

I know...walkers are selfish...walking is unfair.

None of these are directly related to preventing you from doing the same thing or preventing you from getting a room if you choose to. I get your point that maybe you don't want to walk to, but it is what it is...that's the system in place right now...and we are 8 pages in and i've yet to see one suggestion that sounds even remotely close to being worthwhile or better than the current system.

I'm all for the system being changed, and walking being stopped, but just give me something I can get behind.

Do not allow partial cancellations that include the first day of a of a reservation while any part of the reservation is outside the booking window.

Wait, what? The argument for walking is that its egalatarian?

Well, the OP said that the problem with walking is: "While not foolproof, it is the best way to provide insurance that you get a reservation when you want, but to the detriment of other owners." So, I suppose "fairness" or lack of it is one way of trying to define how walking is "to the detriment of other owners." But, maybe OP had something else in mind specifically.

How do they go about eliminating it? I made my spring break 2020 reservation right at the 11 month mark. A couple of days later, we decided we needed to move it over one day (arrive one day later and leave one day later). I was not trying to gain any advantage, but it looked the same as walking. Would that have been prohibited? If not, how do you tell the difference?

If you book at 1/30 for 12/30 and 12/31 but I book at 1/24 for 12/25 - 12/31 because I have more points and can book longer I have 12/31 secured 6 days before you do. But enough of this - it is moot.
Very true. you book it on 1/24 for 12/24 - NYE and I can not get it. BUT if I book the nights of 12/23 and 12/24 on 1/23 You can not get the room on 1/24 - I have it! That is exact;y what walking is. I have fewer points but have negated your 'advantage'. You have to wait until 1/25 to book 12/25 - NYE is what you would have to do. But, on 1/24 I change my reservation to 12/24 and 12/25. Now you cant book on 1/25. You have to wait until 1/26. Guess what on am changing my reservation to on 1/25?????? Repeat over and over again.
I had few points and walked it to get it.

I do not understand how you can opine that Disney should disallow walking when you do not understand it.

I do think walking impacts things. But I do think there are reasons for it. We can only book 7 nights from the first day. I often go 11-12 nights for my vacations. So I book my first 7 nights, and then have to add each additional night on to the end. And I don't want to risk losing out if I wait until the point I can book the whole trip. This is still walking, but it is walking my reservation to get all of the days that I want/need for my full vacation. I do usually start 1 day ahead of my actual planned vacation start date to ensure I have the night in case flights work better to fly the day before.

Disney has heard you all and has answered. Actually they answered with Poly. They are called Fixed Weeks. It s the fair solution. All others are the same and everyone is aable to participate . If you do or not is up to you.
Not important but DIsney started Fixed weeks before the Poly. VGF has them and I think Aulani

I am waiting for the next debate about fairness.

Do people know that the same room will be a different number of points in different seasons? That means they pay more in dues for one week than someone else. How are they using more housekeeping or causing more wear and tear on the roof just because they go during a busier week???????

The horror!

It's pretty simple I thought. Walking is to secure something and deny it from someone else (otherwise, why do people do it?). I disagree with the notion that "putting effort into walking" justifies this advantage, or that others should simply walk too. The 11 month window exists. It is, in essence a 'rule.' Breaking rules is usually considered 'bad' or 'unfair.'

A while back there was a bit of a brouhaha in the Disboards about certain practices to circumvent Disney rules. Now we have a sticky on the Theme Park board that specifically states that discussion of circumventing Disney rules is not allowed. Walking predates that brouhaha so I guess it got grandfathered in or something; but in my opinion walking circumvents a Disney rule.

Here's the thing. As owners we are entitled to book a room with our points at 11 months. No one is breaking this rule. Now, if 6 days later I change my mind, then I get to do that under current rules.

So, while walking does allow owners to change their mind a lot, they are still entitled to those rooms whether or not they decide to cancel or change later

I get why people don’t like it. It means one might not get a room right at 11 months and are forced to check again a few days later.

One of the huge benefits of DVC is the ability to book and cancel and change as much as you want without penalty.

So, if people want walking stopped, then they really have to be okay with a complete change in the system and be okay with being penalized for changing even when they are not walking.

Last edited:
Every owners points at each home resort are equal and have the same opportunity to book whatever dates. The people who complain about not having availability have the same opportunity as other owners to book the same dates. If you missed out, then you did not put the same effort as the other owner. That's on you, no the rules of the DVC. Don't try to change the rules to suit your needs.

I mean I could walk a reservation for the next 5 years.... Is that fair or even intended? No it's not.

It's pretty simple I thought. Walking is to secure something and deny it from someone else (otherwise, why do people do it?). I disagree with the notion that "putting effort into walking" justifies this advantage, or that others should simply walk too. The 11 month window exists. It is, in essence a 'rule.' Breaking rules is usually considered 'bad' or 'unfair.'

A while back there was a bit of a brouhaha in the Disboards about certain practices to circumvent Disney rules. Now we have a sticky on the Theme Park board that specifically states that discussion of circumventing Disney rules is not allowed. Walking predates that brouhaha so I guess it got grandfathered in or something; but in my opinion walking circumvents a Disney rule.

Anyone who doesn't understand why walking is frowned upon just has zero clue I guess.

It is super simple.

The rule is book at 11 months for your reservation up to 7 days.

The rule is not, book at 20 months and as long as you log in once a week you can then cut everyone else from having the same opportunity to book at 11 months.

I will walk until Disney stops it but don't agree with it. Just like I will take tax exemptions regardless if I agree they should be a thing.

You can book as many days at a time as you want, but you book 11 months from check-OUT date.
Hard to get reservations you call day by day to extend the room by one night at a time if you thought that was necessary.

This is an advantage to people who want short trips.

I normally go for 3-4 weeks. IF I had to wait til my last check out day, the room would probably never be available, so I might as well not even bother with owning DVC.

Or I would just book one day at a time and then combine all the days into one reservation.

Reactions: ehh
This is an advantage to people who want short trips.

I normally go for 3-4 weeks. IF I had to wait til my last check out day, the room would probably never be available, so I might as well not even bother with owning DVC.

Or I would just book one day at a time and then combine all the days into one reservation.
Wrong. No reason for it to benefit short stays. You can book not day-by-day, but once after three days and the rest later if you wish.
Or every few days, or every day. The choice is yours, but it benefits no one.
Not sure if you’re familiar with the system..??

I mean I could walk a reservation for the next 5 years.... Is that fair or even intended? No it's not.

Anyone who doesn't understand why walking is frowned upon just has zero clue I guess.

It is super simple.

The rule is book at 11 months for your reservation up to 7 days.

The rule is not, book at 20 months and as long as you log in once a week you can then cut everyone else from having the same opportunity to book at 11 months.

I will walk until Disney stops it but don't agree with it. Just like I will take tax exemptions regardless if I agree they should be a thing.

Technically accurate, but it doesn’t change that first come first serve means just that.

I think we can all agree people are walking for no reason and doing it much longer than needed because they can.

But along with it, remember we have the ability to create a waitlist. If one goes on at 11 months and room is gone, you put in a waitlist. If the lack of availability is really due to walking, many people who really want that room for those walked dates should get it.

I just talk a little theoretically, no, no regulations here, don’t you feel the entire reservation system is like a video game? planning, stalking, anxiety, ecstasy, frustrations, pleasant surprises, chained reactions, butterfly effect, a little bit of everything...isn’t that why so many of us are so addictive to this? And why it is way more than a boring hotel reservation system? :)

Do not allow partial cancellations that include the first day of a of a reservation while any part of the reservation is outside the booking window.
Sometimes people do this for legitimate reasons that are not walking. Your suggestion would be a detriment to many.

Personal example: I usually stay for 14-16 nights. I make my first 7 night booking at my 11 month mark. I continue to add days. During this time, the flights are finally available for me to use my airline points. But wait, if I leave a day later, my flights will be much cheaper. So, as I continue to add my days, I need to remove the first day so I will have enough points to push my reservation to my new final day.

That is a legitimate adjustment that I would not be able to do with that system. I have actually done this twice. I would have to cross my fingers that my last day stays available as I wait until I can book it. That would upset me more than walking does.

I don’t understand these “holes” you are referring to. If there was a hole it was the Member’s fault, not the systems fault. Plus if those dates were not open due to late booking under the old system, than they wouldn’t be available with the current system either.

Did you say earlier that you always got what you wanted with day by day? Not everyone did because it was dependent on getting into the phone tree first, getting a CM that quickly understood what you wanted to do - or even just confirmed who you were extremely fast, and then was able to search and add the day to your existing reservation. That did not go well for everyone and it was not the members fault but rather the luck of the draw.

Did you say earlier that you always got what you wanted with day by day? Not everyone did because it was dependent on getting into the phone tree first, getting a CM that quickly understood what you wanted to do - or even just confirmed who you were extremely fast, and then was able to search and add the day to your existing reservation. That did not go well for everyone and it was not the members fault but rather the luck of the draw.
If that particular room was in such high demand, it would have been long gone anyway by walking.
Yes, I always got what I wanted when I booked day by day. Not sure if I said that, but the answer is that I did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter