Should I bring my wheelchair or scooter??

Orangeandwild

I'd rather be in Epcot
I cannot walk more than a few steps due to medical conditions and everywhere I go I either go on my scooter or on my wheelchair. We are AP holders and visit WDW often and I have always brought my scooter with me as we drive. However it is far more comfortable for me to sit on wheelchair than a scooter seat and I was wondering for those who have used both, which is better in the parks? Please share your opinions and thank you so much.

if you have someone that can push the wheelchair then do this if you are more comfortable with this if not an ECV.

I bring my own scooter every time I travel to WDW, simply because it's much more comfortable to me than a rental.

I have no shortage of willing "pushers" for a wheelchair, but I prefer the freedom and independence I have with my personal ECV. If I am in a wheelchair, I have to rely upon someone else to move me, as I can no longer self-propel. With the addition of a nice gel cushion on your scooter seat, you might find it to be comfy enough to last all day.

If you do bring your scooter, remember that even just standing up and stretching, and then sitting back down can keep you from getting too sore and achy from sitting on the ECV all day.

WDW is too large of a place for you to have second thoughts about a mobility device. If you are asking us the question, you know the answer is yes. :)

It is not clear if you have a power wheelchair or a manual chair. If you are trying to choose between a power chair or an electric scooter, I would recommend your chair. I used a scooter for several years until my walking deteriorated to the point I got a power wheelchair so I have experience with both. The chair is more comfortable. The chair is MUCH easier to take on the buses. I think it is a little harder for people to see me in my chair and they seem more likely to think they should cut in front of me (maybe I am less intimidating than those bigger ECVs) but my chair can come to a complete and quick stop better than a scooter. I have a double battery chair so I usually have enough juice to get through a whole day in the park. A scooter usually has a basket and no basket for the chair so carrying stuff in more of an issue with the chair.

Last edited:
I am sorry I was not clear, I have a power chair not a push model so it is a choice between two mobility devices. If I do choose my scooter I will be getting a cushion I think as the seat gets to my back after a bit of most all day sittng. Thanks for your input and sorry I was not clear about the power chair...

I am sorry I was not clear, I have a power chair not a push model so it is a choice between two mobility devices. If I do choose my scooter I will be getting a cushion I think as the seat gets to my back after a bit of most all day sittng. Thanks for your input and sorry I was not clear about the power chair...

Well, in that case... it really comes down to your comfort. You obviously know WDW; as long as your chair is comfy for you, and you feel like it handles WDW well, then I vote for the chair! After all, the goal is to get to the end of your trip in good shape, and not needing another vacation to recover from your vacation! :)

I'm interested in opinions about scooter or power chair also. I've always used a scooter at WDW but use a power chair at home. I'm considering bringing the power chair on our Dec trip. It's so much easier in bathrooms & restaurants than the scooter. Only problem is my power chair battery wouldn't last a day at Disney. We may buy a bigger battery & take both batteries. That would eliminate the need to bring a walker I need to get around in the room while the scooter battery charges. I'd have a spare battery to use while the other charges. Traveling with an extra battery sounds like a pain though. I can't decide which is best either.

I'm interested in opinions about scooter or power chair also. I've always used a scooter at WDW but use a power chair at home. I'm considering bringing the power chair on our Dec trip. It's so much easier in bathrooms & restaurants than the scooter. Only problem is my power chair battery wouldn't last a day at Disney. We may buy a bigger battery & take both batteries. That would eliminate the need to bring a walker I need to get around in the room while the scooter battery charges. I'd have a spare battery to use while the other charges. Traveling with an extra battery sounds like a pain though. I can't decide which is best either.
How bulky is your charger? Another option is to take the charger with you each day and plug it in when you're eating lunch, etc. Of course, that depends on finding an outlet near where you're sitting.

I always bring the battery charger with me into the park and recharge whenever I stop for a meal. I also try to turn off the power any time I am going to be sitting for more than a couple of minutes, for example seeing a show or parade. I have trained my family members to keep an eagle eye out for outlets to use in the quick service restaurants. In table service, I ask the host or hostess where I can plug in and charge. If you need to stay in your chair to get to the table, figure out where to get plugged in, drive to the table, slide into a chair and have someone else in your party take the chair back and get it plugged in.

There are also many places to plug in and recharge around the parks, especially EPCOT. The food court in the Land has outlets all along the walls separating the tables area from the walkway. There is a relaxing area in the building with the Starbucks that has outlets. There are outlets in most of the guest relations locations. There are also outlets in the area around the Rapunzel bathrooms in the Magic Kingdom but there you will be competing with people trying to charge their phones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!