Should I get the insurance on my EVC rental?

Alexsandra

Ready for the next adventure
I just rented a scooter from Buena Vista Scooter.
They asked me if I wanted the insurance. I declined for now because it seemed useless. At the speed you drive those things, I can't imagine a big accident.

Am I wrong? should I have taken the insurance?

I just rented a scooter from Buena Vista Scooter.
They asked me if I wanted the insurance. I declined for now because it seemed useless. At the speed you drive those things, I can't imagine a big accident.

Am I wrong? should I have taken the insurance?

We were recently discussing this issue of insurance (purchased with the rental) when another member had an issue with returning a rental.

You need to know exactly *what* the insurance covers. For example, if it only covers damage, then you might decide to simply walk around the unit and snap photos of it from 4 or 5 angles with the camera in your phone, and go on.

If it covers lost/stolen units, that's a whole different critter.

If it offers any additional medical coverage (say you accidentally run over another Guests foot - not assigning blame, because everyone here has had someone walk *right* in front of them, so it *can* happen), that's a whole different critter as well.

If the unit is lost or stolen while it is in your possession (before the rental company has picked it back up, and put it on their truck) you could be on the hook for the entire replacement cost of the unit, at retail. (This could be anywhere from $350 - $2500 depending on the scooter) If you cause injury or harm (to yourself or another) you, or your homeowner's/personal medical insurance could also be on the hook for all costs.

So, you need to know not just what the insurance covers, but what the contract says as well. If the contract says you don't have to worry about "normal wear and tear", then document the condition of the unit at delivery (ideally with the driver present, and in one of the photos) and go on down the road. If, on the other hand, it says you are responsible for everything that happens to that unit, and with that unit, then you might want to consider their rental insurance coverage.

Having said all that... you also can reach out to your insurance agent, and ask what (if any) coverage your homeowner's policy would have in a situation regarding the rental. Your deductible may be so high that you prefer to buy the rental company policy, or it may be that your homeowner's coverage would be more than sufficient.

So... TLDR; You need to do some homework. Everyone's situation is a bit different, and everyone's tolerance for risk is a bit different. I would start by requesting a copy of both the rental contract, and the insurance, and read them. Any company that won't allow you to read a contract first is not a company you want to do business with anyway.

get it. I have witnessed people ram their scooters into the benches at the Tiki Show and crack the housing and worse. so unless you drive one at home on regular basis, and are intimately familiar with how they operate, the potential for an oopsie is pretty high.

We were recently discussing this issue of insurance (purchased with the rental) when another member had an issue with returning a rental.

You need to know exactly *what* the insurance covers. For example, if it only covers damage, then you might decide to simply walk around the unit and snap photos of it from 4 or 5 angles with the camera in your phone, and go on.

If it covers lost/stolen units, that's a whole different critter.

If it offers any additional medical coverage (say you accidentally run over another Guests foot - not assigning blame, because everyone here has had someone walk *right* in front of them, so it *can* happen), that's a whole different critter as well.

If the unit is lost or stolen while it is in your possession (before the rental company has picked it back up, and put it on their truck) you could be on the hook for the entire replacement cost of the unit, at retail. (This could be anywhere from $350 - $2500 depending on the scooter) If you cause injury or harm (to yourself or another) you, or your homeowner's/personal medical insurance could also be on the hook for all costs.

So, you need to know not just what the insurance covers, but what the contract says as well. If the contract says you don't have to worry about "normal wear and tear", then document the condition of the unit at delivery (ideally with the driver present, and in one of the photos) and go on down the road. If, on the other hand, it says you are responsible for everything that happens to that unit, and with that unit, then you might want to consider their rental insurance coverage.

Having said all that... you also can reach out to your insurance agent, and ask what (if any) coverage your homeowner's policy would have in a situation regarding the rental. Your deductible may be so high that you prefer to buy the rental company policy, or it may be that your homeowner's coverage would be more than sufficient.

So... TLDR; You need to do some homework. Everyone's situation is a bit different, and everyone's tolerance for risk is a bit different. I would start by requesting a copy of both the rental contract, and the insurance, and read them. Any company that won't allow you to read a contract first is not a company you want to do business with anyway.

The insurance only covers damages to the actual scooter (scratches or bumps). Lost or stolen units are not covered and neither is medical coverage. Personal injury to myself or others are also my responsibility and are not covered by the insurance. That is why I was debating forgoing it.

get it. I have witnessed people ram their scooters into the benches at the Tiki Show and crack the housing and worse. so unless you drive one at home on regular basis, and are intimately familiar with how they operate, the potential for an oopsie is pretty high.
Oh man, that would really suck. My mother in law will be driving it and I am not sure she has that much experience. I might just go ahead and purchase it for peace of mind.

If the unit is lost or stolen while it is in your possession (before the rental company has picked it back up, and put it on their truck) you could be on the hook for the entire replacement cost of the unit, at retail. (This could be anywhere from $350 - $2500 depending on the scooter)

Although the company can TRY to charge you for a brand new scooter, legally they can only get the value of what a used scooter would go for, not a brand new one. Just like a car, you get the value of it at the time of the loss. It is still expensive and I would look into your homeowners insurance to see what that would cover.

Although the company can TRY to charge you for a brand new scooter, legally they can only get the value of what a used scooter would go for, not a brand new one. Just like a car, you get the value of it at the time of the loss. It is still expensive and I would look into your homeowners insurance to see what that would cover.
Thanks, I will look into that for sure

I thought that either home owners or my credit card company that I charged the scooter rental with automatically covered it. I confess, though, I never checked!

I purchased insurance for my 14 day rental from Walker. We returned it on Tuesday. On the previous Sunday
the DCL bus driver broke the key in the ignition. DH forgot to take the key out before it was put under the bus.
DH was able to turn the ECV on and off with the broken key. I told the pick-up driver and also called the day
it happened. We were not charged extra. Driver said "that happens a lot".

After speaking with my mother in law, we decided to get the insurance. We did not want to take a chance. Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter