Should I quickly buy tickets to DL?

Nick6300

DIS Veteran
It appears for the moment that UT has DL tickets. We're in an offsite property Dec 17-20 (4 nights). Would you risk buying tickets while you can, since offsite? Tickets are usually non refundable, but UT has been more lenient lately. We would not likely go next year if they weren't refunded by UT or blocked from Disney/extended use to next yr. If so, would you elect base tickets w/out Maxpass or with, given the rumors of no park hopping at WDW, and possibly no FPs? We could alternatively wait and see what happens. Potentially buying either DL or Universal tickets.

I would wait a bit to see how things turn out. Your trip is 6 months away and there's really now way to know how things will look that far in advance. While you won't "loose" money buying tickets now since they retain their value and can be put towards new tickets if they expire, it sounds like you could be sitting on them for quite a long time.

Wherever and whenever you decide to purchase your tickets, if there is the option to buy trip insurance to cover them, I would. That way you'll have peace of mind if you have to cancel. The cost for the insurance through the authorized vendors is usually low (between $20-30 before the closure), so it might be worth it to save on worry.

Wherever and whenever you decide to purchase your tickets, if there is the option to buy trip insurance to cover them, I would. That way you'll have peace of mind if you have to cancel. The cost for the insurance through the authorized vendors is usually low (between $20-30 before the closure), so it might be worth it to save on worry.
Thanks - wish we would have bought refundable hotel/air fare bookings. The tickets are $640 for 2 adults base 4 day tickets, and looks like the insurance for these UT tickets are $69/person, $138 total. On one hand, maybe buying the tickets today would allow us access. Are DL tickets loaded to an app and linked beforehand? But not being date based tickets, and maybe even in Dec., you have to have an onsite hotel booked too. Maybe that means it's better for us to wait and potentially save the $138 cancellation fee.

Thanks - wish we would have bought refundable hotel/air fare bookings. The tickets are $640 for 2 adults base 4 day tickets, and looks like the insurance for these UT tickets are $69/person, $138 total. On one hand, maybe buying the tickets today would allow us access. Are DL tickets loaded to an app and linked beforehand? But not being date based tickets, and maybe even in Dec., you have to have an onsite hotel booked too. Maybe that means it's better for us to wait and potentially save the $138 cancellation fee.
the one thing to remember is that even if you buy the tickets and don't go you should be able to use the cost of the ticket and apply it to new tickets. But with the way things are now I'm not sure I'd take the risk.

Most travel insurance will not cover anything Covid related. Read the policy carefully.
I think you could be right, in that a denial of entry by Disney, for capacity limits, isn’t going to qualify for a refund if you get the insurance. The fine print reads if you get sick or killed and events like that. I’m not sure these insurance policies are any better than booking with a premium travel credit card with trip ins.

Do you uplink DL tickets to the DL app like you do with WDW tickets on MDE? Because DL tickets aren’t date specific... if they aren’t also linked on an app, how would buying tickets now help in getting priority for a reservation system?

I bought one extra on Undercover Tourist (I have an AP) to go with the two tickets I already have, just in case we need it and don't have an option to buy it. I know I will use it for someone else or maybe for myself later, after my pass expires, if I don't renew. I feel kind of silly, but I did it anyway...

I bought one extra on Undercover Tourist (I have an AP) to go with the two tickets I already have, just in case we need it and don't have an option to buy it. I know I will use it for someone else or maybe for myself later, after my pass expires, if I don't renew. I feel kind of silly, but I did it anyway...

Does that mean you linked your UT tickets to a DL app? Are you able to link the new ticket when you already have AP linked- having two tickets linked at same time, or did you have to create another profile to store it. When does the UT ticket expire? I don’t think we’d go next yr but it would be better if any new tickets bought on UT lasted past this yr.

Do you uplink DL tickets to the DL app like you do with WDW tickets on MDE? Because DL tickets aren’t date specific... if they aren’t also linked on an app, how would buying tickets now help in getting priority for a reservation system?

Yes, you can upload tickets to the DL app. When you do that, you have to "assign" the ticket to a person by name. Only that person will be able to use the ticket.

I haven't had trouble linking unused tickets from Getawaytoday or Undercover Tourist to my account with my AP there in the past year. I don't link them until I know someone else is going with me, because I don't like to have to juggle extra tickets for Maxpass or ROTR if they're not in the park. And I usually give them a first initial and then a last name so it feels more flexible if someone else needs to use the ticket. I haven't had any trouble using the ticket for multiple people as long as it stays assigned to that person after we scan in the first time. I didn't word that well. I've learned not to stress too much about who it says the ticket is for. On our last trip, I asked them to change it to "Jeremy" at the ticket gate because it was originally assigned to me before I decided to get an AP instead. They said they did, but it still came up as "Sara Lastname" vs my "SARA LASTNAME" with my AP, both in my account and he used it the whole trip...

I haven't had trouble linking unused tickets from Getawaytoday or Undercover Tourist to my account with my AP there in the past year. I don't link them until I know someone else is going with me, because I don't like to have to juggle extra tickets for Maxpass or ROTR if they're not in the park. And I usually give them a first initial and then a last name so it feels more flexible if someone else needs to use the ticket. I haven't had any trouble using the ticket for multiple people as long as it stays assigned to that person after we scan in the first time. I didn't word that well. I've learned not to stress too much about who it says the ticket is for. On our last trip, I asked them to change it to "Jeremy" at the ticket gate because it was originally assigned to me before I decided to get an AP instead. They said they did, but it still came up as "Sara Lastname" vs my "SARA LASTNAME" with my AP, both in my account and he used it the whole trip...
This new ticket you bought thru UT, did you get base tickets with maxpass or are you thinking ph and MP will be available for whenever your stay is

... I’m not sure these insurance policies are any better than booking with a premium travel credit card with trip ins.
When the closure first happened, we had people posting that they got their trips and tickets refunded without any problems if they had purchased the "peace of mind" insurance. We had people posting that they hadn't purchased that insurance and were having a great deal of trouble getting refunded. They said they were going to try going through their credit cards, but never came back to update about that. Obviously, the pandemic has changed many things -- so the "peace of mind" fine print probably isn't quite as open as it used to be. But people made it sound like it wasn't the same as goring through your credit card -- they made it sound much easier.
Whether you purchase the insurance or not, I think previous posters are right in saying that you have plenty of time before your trip to wait to see what happens with the reopening and to see what other people do with their tickets. Disney's hold on new ticket purchases shouldn't last long. And you can learn a lot by watching what happens to everyone else in the next month or two.

This new ticket you bought thru UT, did you get base tickets with maxpass or are you thinking ph and MP will be available for whenever your stay is
I didn’t add park hopper because it’s worth the savings for me not to (we can’t take it off, and we can always add it if it’s available and we decide we want it for a particular trip) and it’s possible that I wouldn’t be able to park hop with my flex pass when we would use the ticket. I did add maxpass because I’m so in love with maxpass and have high hopes that it will eventually be available again. Also, get away today said from what I understood if Maxpass wasn’t available, there might be some thing else to make up for a of equal monetary value. Whatever that means, but it made me curious.

We have an LMTC voucher that we're supposed to trade for tickets at the hotel desk or park ticket window. I'm in the same debate right now - do I purchase new tickets, in case the voucher doesn't allow us to make reservations, or do we wait? I'm on hold with Disney right now to see if there's anyway to redeem our voucher now. If we can't, I'll probably go ahead and buy tickets from GAT today, just in case. I can always cancel one set of tickets, or keep them and use them for tickets for another trip.

We have an LMTC voucher that we're supposed to trade for tickets at the hotel desk or park ticket window. I'm in the same debate right now - do I purchase new tickets, in case the voucher doesn't allow us to make reservations, or do we wait? I'm on hold with Disney right now to see if there's anyway to redeem our voucher now. If we can't, I'll probably go ahead and buy tickets from GAT today, just in case. I can always cancel one set of tickets, or keep them and use them for tickets for another trip.
How would you cancel one set? A certain time period from GAT where you can get $ back? I had compared GAT and UT last month and UT was cheaper, in case it might be for your tickets too. The case against buying now, I don’t like not knowing if PH and MaxPass will be usable. I didn’t see anything so far in the reopening announcement, but it’s also too early, since they don’t even have approval to open yet. Wouldn’t think PH at least will be available for a while.

How would you cancel one set? A certain time period from GAT where you can get $ back? I had compared GAT and UT last month and UT was cheaper, in case it might be for your tickets too. The case against buying now, I don’t like not knowing if PH and MaxPass will be usable. I didn’t see anything so far in the reopening announcement, but it’s also too early, since they don’t even have approval to open yet. Wouldn’t think PH at least will be available for a while.
LMTC vouchers are returnable/refundable up to a week before the trip (I think it's a week...might be 8 days or something weird). GAT has a $25v"peace of mind" insurance that allows cancellation/refund. According to their website, the cancellation/refund would be good for the next 75 days, which takes us to August 26. Since that's less than 2 weeks before we go, I would hope we'd know by then what's going on!

Our LMTC voucher is for Park Hoppers, no MP. If I buy new tickets, I will by one park per day, no MP. As @Jaina pointed out, we can always upgrade to PH and add MP, so it's worth it to buy the cheaper tickets now and then add as needed.

I just bought two 3-day PH from UC just so that I have tickets that will hopefully allow me to make a reservation (also made two different reservations at the Tropicana using the FB $99 special so thanks for that tip!) I always get PH because I can't imagine be restricted to one park per day. I wonder what will happen with the value of my tickets if they do not allow park hopping. Hopefully they will announce the rules soon. Maybe UT will allow me to swap them for non-PH?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter