Should I rent a stroller for my 5 year old

Anais

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone,

We are going for our first trip ever to DisneyWorld. I have a 5-year-old who loves to move. even on our last trip to Disneyland Paris, she walked most of the time and she was 3. But I am afraid she might get tired with all the walking as I saw that Disneyworld is so much bigger than DLP.

Should I rent a stroller or is she too old?

This is a very hotly debated topic. The answer is it's up to you. Some parents stop using them when their kid is 3. We used them for our kids until they were far older than your kid, and we have no regrets. So if you want to bring it, do it. Trust me, there will be LOTS of kids much older than 5 in strollers.

She's not too old but we stopped renting a stroller for our DD when she was around that age because she was also very active and a walker. I always found a stroller to be a pain to have so I would recommend not renting one and see how she does. You can always rent one in the park if she is getting too tired and then make arrangements for an off-site rental place for the remainder of your trip. I also recommend frequent stops even if it just to pop into a quick service place for a cold drink and 15 minutes of rest.

How hard would it be to bring one with you? I'm cheap so that's always my first option. For the cost of renting one for a couple of days, you could buy one. Plus you would have one for the airports.

You may find you don't need it for a day or two at the parks, but then the weariness sets in and you need it the rest of the trip.

No two children are the same. At that age ours were more than able to walk but if your child might no be able to rent one. There are kids lots older than that in strollers so do what is best for your situation.

Hey everyone,

We are going for our first trip ever to DisneyWorld. I have a 5-year-old who loves to move. even on our last trip to Disneyland Paris, she walked most of the time and she was 3. But I am afraid she might get tired with all the walking as I saw that Disneyworld is so much bigger than DLP.

Our first trip my daughter was 5 and we debated this. We end up buying a small umbrella style stroller and it was the best thing we did! Half the time she walked and we just folded it up. But if she was tired, we were in a hurry to get to FP or reservartion, etc. or we need a spot for her to sit and have ice cream it was a life saver!

Yes you should. We've always had a double stroller. On our last trip the two middle boys were 3 and 5. The three year old spent more time in it, but the 5 year old hopped a ride here and there and it made it easier to get around! Plus, it gives you a place to stash your bags.

Our first trip my daughter was 5 and we debated this. We end up buying a small umbrella style stroller and it was the best thing we did! Half the time she walked and we just folded it up. But if she was tired, we were in a hurry to get to FP or reservartion, etc. or we need a spot for her to sit and have ice cream it was a life saver!

I really like this idea myself. I have 2 but one is 18 months (clearly we are bringing his stroller) but for the 6.5 year old it seems silly to rent a double for a day. Now I’m wondering if I can attach a folded up tiny umbrella stroller to the city mini for extra seating as necessary... of course that may turn us into the family people point at stare at so this is probably just a passing thought...

And to the OP, I’d be inclined to either rent or bring an inexpensive one with you. Around 5 is where naps are dropped and that is the main reason last time I had a larger single versus a small umbrella for DD - she was 4 at the time and did end up napping in it every day for a little while. Which is especially awesome at Epcot, she naps and mommy gets a glass of wine!

Hey everyone,

Since you're not sure if your child is up to the walk rent a stroller on the first day you go to either AK or Epcot and decide from your experience if it's worth it for you. Haven't done DLP since it first opened so not sure of the expansion.

This was our stance as well. I didn't use a stroller by that age for a day out at a theme park, but Disney was an exception. It's hotter than we're normally used to, it's busier and more crowded than our local theme park, and it can be a longer day (no matter how much I try to keep close to our usual routine, life happens sometimes) and more walking than we'd normally do. We didn't regularly need it, but when we did (meltdown, in a hurry, leaving the park after a long day, navigating a particularly crowded area, having a snack on the go), we were glad we had it.

I am debating the same thing. We are traveling in June with 8.5yr and almost 6yr. I am worried about by almost 6yr getting tired of walking. Three years ago, we rented a double citi mini from Kingdom Stroller and it was put to good use both kids (5.5yr and almost 3 then). I think we will go without one this year, and see how first day goes. We will probably opt to renting in the park for larger ones (EPCOT). My kids are very tall and won't fit well in regular stroller anyways. I think we won't need one in HS or MK (which we are splitting up into two sections/days)..

How hard would it be to bring one with you? I'm cheap so that's always my first option. For the cost of renting one for a couple of days, you could buy one. Plus you would have one for the airports.

You may find you don't need it for a day or two at the parks, but then the weariness sets in and you need it the rest of the trip.

Honestly, I gave hets to goodwill last year since she has no reason to use it anymore. Plus, we are traveling from France with a long flight and overlay, and we are already talking a booster seat with us. My concern is her getting tired with so much walking even though we are going to take mid-day breaks or do half day parks only.

There is nothing more frustrating than carrying a five year old from Via Napoli to the exit of Epcot because she claimed her legs hurt so I vote yes.
Oh I do believe you, knowing my husband he would refuse and I'd be the one carrying her.

Yeah, I think we will stop at Walmart to buy one in case.

Since you're not sure if your child is up to the walk rent a stroller on the first day you go to either AK or Epcot and decide from your experience if it's worth it for you. Haven't done DLP since it first opened so not sure of the expansion.

We love DLP with the smaller version of Hollywood studios, the Ratatouille ride is very very nice. But, we don't have any other Disney Parks to compare. Can't wait for our September's trip.
We are starting with MNSSHP so I guess it will set the tone, and help us decide.

So you'll have a car? Then yes, try for a day, go to walmart if you need one and pick up a few snacks at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts