Should I rent a stroller for my 5 year old

So you'll have a car? Then yes, try for a day, go to walmart if you need one and pick up a few snacks at the same time.
I will have it the first day only then droping it off at Dolphins

Oh another"silly question" how do I manage to put a picture on my Avatar?

So I'd recommend buying a stroller at Wal-Mart, you can get a cheap one for $30, which will do fine for your needs. When you're done, "gift" it to another family at WDW.

Go to your settings (click on your user name on the top right of the screen) on this website and that's where you put a picture for your avatar.

My DS used a stroller at WDW u til he was 7.5 years old, he never did elsewhere but at Disney he needed it. My DD now going on 18 months, would prefer to walk. Every kid is different, keep the option open to rent or buy a cheap one. It's not worth the child ( and you) having a miserable time after they are too tired......in my opinion! Have a safe and great trip!

Something I neglected to point out. Although Epcot and Animal Kingdom are the biggest of the 4 parks in size, Epcot has 2 ferries that go from one side of the World Showcase to another thus avoiding the need to carry tired children normally speaking. Magic Kingdom is about the same size at DLP and Hollywood Studio is currently the smallest park of them all. Since your little one has no problem walking DLP neither HS or MK should be a problem thus reasoning for my advice to wait until you visit one of the bigger parks before considering renting a stroller UNLESS the cost to rent for a longer time span is a serious money saver.
Bonne chance et amusez-vous bien!

So I'd recommend buying a stroller at Wal-Mart, you can get a cheap one for $30, which will do fine for your needs. When you're done, "gift" it to another family at WDW.

Yes, I have a friend who did this for a few years. Only used a stroller at Disney and didn't want to store one from year to year.

Something I neglected to point out. Although Epcot and Animal Kingdom are the biggest of the 4 parks in size, Epcot has 2 ferries that go from one side of the World Showcase to another thus avoiding the need to carry tired children normally speaking. Magic Kingdom is about the same size at DLP and Hollywood Studio is currently the smallest park of them all. Since your little one has no problem walking DLP neither HS or MK should be a problem thus reasoning for my advice to wait until you visit one of the bigger parks before considering renting a stroller UNLESS the cost to rent for a longer time span is a serious money saver.
Bonne chance et amusez-vous bien!

Really?? I didn't know that. It is a game changer for me to know that.

Merci beaucoup, nous sommes très impatients ;-)

@Klayfish I know from your posts that you would use umbrella strollers for your older kids. Did you use the really inexpensive ones that have a “recommended upper weight” of 40 lbs or were you using some of the slightly larger and more expensive ones that have an upper weight limit of 50 lbs? I guess what I’m getting at is will a 46 lb kid be able to occasionally use a stroller with an upper weight of 40 lbs. and asking you since I know you used the umbrella style strollers with your kids TIA :)

@Klayfish I know from your posts that you would use umbrella strollers for your older kids. Did you use the really inexpensive ones that have a “recommended upper weight” of 40 lbs or were you using some of the slightly larger and more expensive ones that have an upper weight limit of 50 lbs? I guess what I’m getting at is will a 46 lb kid be able to occasionally use a stroller with an upper weight of 40 lbs. and asking you since I know you used the umbrella style strollers with your kids TIA :)

I am curious to know as well, my DD is 44 lbs.

For those who purchase inexpensive umbrella strollers and "donate" to other families, are they comfortable to push around? In addition to the weight (my 5yr is 45lbs+), I find it difficult to push for a long time because they are so low... Maybe because DH and I am on the tall side? And we don't own a stroller anymore, so I really considered getting the park stroller (which I hope is taller) as our only option.

At 5, we budgeted for you but didn’t rent until we thought he would need it. We rented one, one night we wanted to be at Epcot really late and thought he would need it. He refused to ride in it. We didn’t need one at 5 but many kids do.

Yes I would. Especially if you are going during summer or a busier time. I would also not rent a stroller. I think they are so big and unwieldy. I would bring an umbrella stroller from home. That has a sun shade. Or borrow one if you don’t own one. You don’t really need more than that for a 5 yr old. And they are much smaller and easier to maneuver than Disney’s.

We didn't use (and I wouldn't recommend) the very cheapest umbrella stroller that Wal-Mart has. You know the one...it's $15 and is sitting in some bin at the back of the store. :D We have a similar one to that now, except it came from Costco. However, we only use it to carry our giant food bag...and we leave it in one spot so we don't push it around all day. With our twins, we had a stroller that was a step up from the basic umbrella. It looked very similar to this, except it had a storage area underneath. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Delta-Children-LX-Side-by-Side-Double-Stroller-Night-Sky/36491106 I don't know what the weight limit on it was, never looked, but I can assure you we exceed it quite a bit. My twins aren't peanuts. We also would hang our food bag off the back of it. So when it was fully loaded with kids and food, I'd bet it was 175+ lbs. We never had any issues with it. Another option is to buy a used jogging stroller. We did that once, and the one advantage to them is they have bigger wheels. The big, inflatable tires are easier to push than the smaller plastic ones. The other challenge with really small wheels is they can get caught in the trolley tracks on Main Street in MK.

For those who purchase inexpensive umbrella strollers and "donate" to other families, are they comfortable to push around? In addition to the weight (my 5yr is 45lbs+), I find it difficult to push for a long time because they are so low... Maybe because DH and I am on the tall side? And we don't own a stroller anymore, so I really considered getting the park stroller (which I hope is taller) as our only option.

The little umbrella stroller is plenty comfortable for us to push around for short distances. But I probably wouldn't want to do it all day, especially if you're taller than about 5'5". Personally, I think renting the WDW strollers is an insane waste of money if you're doing it for more than a day or two. You can buy one for that price.

We didn't use (and I wouldn't recommend) the very cheapest umbrella stroller that Wal-Mart has. You know the one...it's $15 and is sitting in some bin at the back of the store. :D We have a similar one to that now, except it came from Costco. However, we only use it to carry our giant food bag...and we leave it in one spot so we don't push it around all day. With our twins, we had a stroller that was a step up from the basic umbrella. It looked very similar to this, except it had a storage area underneath. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Delta-Children-LX-Side-by-Side-Double-Stroller-Night-Sky/36491106 I don't know what the weight limit on it was, never looked, but I can assure you we exceed it quite a bit. My twins aren't peanuts. We also would hang our food bag off the back of it. So when it was fully loaded with kids and food, I'd bet it was 175+ lbs. We never had any issues with it. Another option is to buy a used jogging stroller. We did that once, and the one advantage to them is they have bigger wheels. The big, inflatable tires are easier to push than the smaller plastic ones. The other challenge with really small wheels is they can get caught in the trolley tracks on Main Street in MK.

The little umbrella stroller is plenty comfortable for us to push around for short distances. But I probably wouldn't want to do it all day, especially if you're taller than about 5'5". Personally, I think renting the WDW strollers is an insane waste of money if you're doing it for more than a day or two. You can buy one for that price.

Thank you! I think when I was reading inexpensive umbrella stroller I was thinking of that stroller is in the far back and you wonder what type of torture for the parents that is :) also, now it makes more since looking on amazon even at 35 or so you can find slightly better strollers and the weight limit on those is 50. I’ll look at that size (that sort of was what I was looking at anyway) but it’s nice to have the confirmation. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter