Should I request a room change?

obisbondgirl

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I am at Disney now & have encountered a bit of a problem. We checked in yesterday & as we entered our room a mum apologized to us profusely for her kids making noise. We explained we'd just checked in & chatted for a bit then went on our way.

Later we realized what she was talking about. A child/children in the room adjacent to ours screamed all night. We couldn't get any sleep, gave up & got an early start to our day. I brushed it off as "Disney is a place for kids, it happens". We came back for a nap at around 2:30 & could hear the screaming as we neared our room. No naps for us :(

At this point I'm utterly exhausted & ready to cry myself. The screaming seems to be endless. All night, all morning until we left, from when we got back to now... My love of Disney began as a child & it's not my intention to be "anti-kids". But I don't know how much longer I can survive like this. Should I speak to someone and ask to change rooms? I don't want to make trouble for this family, I just want some sleep!

Since the Mom already acknowledged that her kids are loud and seemed polite and friendly when you talked to her, why not just knock on her door and ask her to please get the kids to quiet down? Or go to the front desk and have them do that.

Hi everyone,

I am at Disney now & have encountered a bit of a problem. We checked in yesterday & as we entered our room a mum apologized to us profusely for her kids making noise. We explained we'd just checked in & chatted for a bit then went on our way.

Later we realized what she was talking about. A child/children in the room adjacent to ours screamed all night. We couldn't get any sleep, gave up & got an early start to our day. I brushed it off as "Disney is a place for kids, it happens". We came back for a nap at around 2:30 & could hear the screaming as we neared our room. No naps for us :(

At this point I'm utterly exhausted & ready to cry myself. The screaming seems to be endless. All night, all morning until we left, from when we got back to now... My love of Disney began as a child & it's not my intention to be "anti-kids". But I don't know how much longer I can survive like this. Should I speak to someone and ask to change rooms? I don't want to make trouble for this family, I just want some sleep!
I would call the front desk. You might not be the only guest who has been kept awake by the screaming child.

Yes, without a doubt I would go to (emphasis on physically go to on purpose, do not call) the front desk and explain just what you wrote in the first post. Be polite, calm but firm.
If worse case, they simply have no room to move you to, try ear plugs. I know they sell some in the resort gift shops, we have had to buy them when we needed some after our bags were sent off and our flight got cancelled. DH and I always sleep with them, they are a much.

Since the Mom already acknowledged that her kids are loud and seemed polite and friendly when you talked to her, why not just knock on her door and ask her to please get the kids to quiet down? Or go to the front desk and have them do that.
Clearly the mom knows, she's already warned them of the issue. Talking to her is unlikely to do any good. I mean, surely if she COULD quiet them easily, she would do so, rather than warn her neighbors, right?

There's a difference between kids making noise and kids screaming 24/7 so you can't rest. I agree with going to the front desk and politely explaining the situation. You paid for a hotel room so you could get rest, and you are not getting any rest due to other guests. Don't feel bad about requesting what you paid for.

Do not hesitate another moment, go to the front desk and ask to be moved. Be polite but firm, and don't take no for an answer. If there's not one single room empty at your resort, ask to be moved to another one. Disney vacations are too expensive to be ruined by stress and lack of sleep when there's an easily available fix.

I honestly don't think talking to the neighbor would help. I'm sure they're miserable and embarrassed and would have stopped it if it were possible. This happened to a former coworker of mine. It was their first stay away from home with their first child, and he just could not handle being away from home, sleeping in a strange place. Screamed non-stop, never slept. They had to cut their vacation short and go home. Some little ones just can't tolerate travel, and you don't know until you try to travel with them.

Clearly the mom knows, she's already warned them of the issue. Talking to her is unlikely to do any good. I mean, surely if she COULD quiet them easily, she would do so, rather than warn her neighbors, right?

You would think so, but sometimes a little nudge helps.

And let me add that I feel you, OP. I have generalized anxiety disorder, and not getting enough sleep is my main trigger. Fingers crossed you can get moved to a new room with silent neighbors.

Yes, you should definitely get a different room. Under no circumstances should you be expected to put up with that.

Honestly, the parent(s) should do something. I'm a mother of 4, I understand you can't always control a baby's cries--but I wouldn't subject other guests to it. If it was that out of control for that long (multiple days and nights!) the family should check out and go home.

Wow this drew a lot of replies!

Thanks everyone, I did discuss with front desk. The family is staying the same length of stay as me so I definitely can't handle that. I was very polite & explained & simply asked what options I might have? And then... magic happened! We were upgraded to club level!

My poor mum is crying with joy aha. I feel bad because this was not my intention at all. But it is literally the most amazing thing to happen to me at Disney...

I am going to go & thank the concierge now, and will send an email to the manager thanking them.

Thank you for everyone who encouraged this overly polite Canadian to take action lol!

I'll climb onboard and agree with the others. Asking to be moved because of screaming is not anti-kid, it's anti-noise and you have every right to want to be in a room where you can get some sleep. I would go to the front desk and simply explain that you have heard screaming from the room next door day and night and you'd like to be moved. I've made this request a few times at WDW resorts and they will do their best to accommodate you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter