Should I request a room change?

Enjoy your upgrade! Glad they helped out.

I’ve been on the other side of this on my son’s first trip.

He (and my husband) unfortunately got sick. He had an ear infection along with it, and we had no way of knowing that until the doctor visit the next morning since it’s not like he could tell us about the ear pain. 11-month-old sick baby with undiagnosed ear infection = one very unhappy, crying boy for most of that night. And then to make matters worse, someone loudly banged on our door multiple times at like 2 or 3am. So I’d always suggest to people to NOT be that person. Your hotel neighbor with the screaming kid would obviously calm that kid down if they could — they want to sleep too. Things were bad enough that night, and we already felt bad about causing a disturbance to others. Wish our neighbors would have gone to the front desk instead of banging on the door and making us feel worse. Somehow my daughter slept though the crying, but we were freaking out that the banging on the door was going to wake her and we’d have two miserable kids.

Yes to me it sounded like the child was in pain or sick, they were often crying or coughing in between screaming. I do really hope they feel better but also glad I can feel better too!

I feel bad for that mom. I've been there with two autistic kids, one of which went through a phase of night terrors (screaming at the top of his lungs for HOURS every night) that lasted 6 months. The other has meltdowns where he cries uncontrollably and adds in intermittent ear piercing screams for good measure. In those times, there is absolutely NOTHING I or anyone else can say or do to make it stop. It has to just run its course. We had two such meltdowns on our recent trip, and my son is 12 now, not a baby. One happened at the pool and DH rushed him back to the room to work through it. The other happened at DHS, at the Backlot Express. That one was less severe. Both happened on our last day. Child was starting to feel sick with what turned out to be a nasty upper respiratory virus. The previous 10 days had been incident free, so you just never know sometimes with kids who have a disability. It's not like we will stop traveling, because 99% of the time, everything is smooth sailing.

Glad you got a new room, OP. I'd probably offer to buy that mom some room service or something. Maybe bring her a plate of cookies from the lounge...

Yes, exactly. As a person with a disability myself, and also just experiencing a lot of pain & sickness in my life, I have nothing but sympathy for the child & family. I had no intention of bothering them, the poor mum was already quite upset when we met her. But also, I have 6 more vacation days I'd like to enjoy so I'm glad we reached a compromise.

I feel a bit self conscious bringing something to them, is that smug? Like "lol thanks for upgrading me" etc? Perhaps I could have an anonymous gift brought to them...

Lol! Had to dash to our via Napoli reservation. My first time! Best pizza I've ever eaten! Cheered me up lol. Illuminations about to begin. My favourite fireworks!

Napoli is awesome. We eat at the one at Downtown Disney all the time. Glad to know its just as good at WDW as it is here.

Napoli is awesome. We eat at the one at Downtown Disney all the time. Glad to know its just as good at WDW as it is here.

Naples at Disneyland is much better than Via Napoli. They put too much cheese on the pizza at Via Napoli, probably because people complained and expected more NY style pizza. I like the sparse cheese at Naples. It's more authentic. Plus, Via Napoli always burns the bottom of the crust. That never happens to us at Naples...just the perfect char atop the outer crust. We ate at VN last week. We eat at Naples about once a month, on average. The only benefit at Via Napoli is the cute Italian waiters!

Naples at Disneyland is much better than Via Napoli. They put too much cheese on the pizza at Via Napoli, probably because people complained and expected more NY style pizza. I like the sparse cheese at Naples. It's more authentic. Plus, Via Napoli always burns the bottom of the crust. That never happens to us at Naples...just the perfect char atop the outer crust. We ate at VN last week. We eat at Naples about once a month, on average. The only benefit at Via Napoli is the cute Italian waiters!

Hmm I must agree about the burnt crust. But I was loving the cheese aha! If I ever make it to Disneyland I'll keep Naples in mind!

Never had a burnt crust there and I loathe burnt crust. And I love cheese so less cheese is a big no from me. I can give up chocolate and caffeine but never cheese ;)

Don't feel bad! Enjoy the upgrade and, hopefully, a restful night!

I know! Enjoy the upgrade!
I get what you are saying, but to me "cost prohibitive" is not OP, the other guests, or even Disney's problem. There are certain responsibilities you take on when you become a parent. Put it on credit card. Call friends or relatives to wire you money Western Union. Pawn your wedding ring. I don't care how you find a way, but don't put the burden on an innocent party.

Seriously? Pawn your wedding ring? It is always easy from the outside looking in to make the decision how others should behave. I have no idea what the family circumstances were but I bet if they could have made that change they would have.

Yes, exactly. As a person with a disability myself, and also just experiencing a lot of pain & sickness in my life, I have nothing but sympathy for the child & family. I had no intention of bothering them, the poor mum was already quite upset when we met her. But also, I have 6 more vacation days I'd like to enjoy so I'm glad we reached a compromise.

I feel a bit self conscious bringing something to them, is that smug? Like "lol thanks for upgrading me" etc? Perhaps I could have an anonymous gift brought to them...

I think it is sweet. You could either choose a stuffed toy for the little one, or even check with a Concierge for guidance. Those folks can make magic happen, and will if it is possible. They can help you pick an appropriate gift and have it delivered. Personally, I think that Mom would appreciate knowing you were enjoying your vacation and were not upset with her family.

You Canadians are so sweet and thoughtful!

Congrats on the surprise upgrade and hopefully a decent night's sleep :goodvibes

You Canadians are so sweet and thoughtful!

Congrats on the surprise upgrade and hopefully a decent night's sleep :goodvibes

Lol! I think sometimes to my detriment. But my most favourite thing about Disney I think is... just the kindness & level of care everyone displays? Maybe not all guests but cast members for sure. It goes beyond a theme park or vacation. It's a magical feeling I always want to come back to! So when I am here, I try to share that magic as much as I can.

When I went back down to thank the concierge who helped us he seemed quite befuddled we'd come down just to thank him & had no other questions or issues. That made me a little sad. It's just not Disney without the work CM's do, I'm letting them know every chance I get!

Aha so this room is heavenly quiet & I had a full night's sleep. Thanks again for all your comments & replies! I'm new to the boards & didn't think this post would get so long! It was comforting to know you guys were all rooting for me aha, and you gave me the courage to actually say something.

I will head to the lounge for breakfast soon so that will be an experience! We have lunch at BOG today but I had been really stuck on where to have dinner tonight. So I think that has now also been solved aha. A lot of you were suggesting I try to take advantage of these perks as much as possible so don't worry I think I'll be able to today!

Aha so this room is heavenly quiet & I had a full night's sleep. Thanks again for all your comments & replies! I'm new to the boards & didn't think this post would get so long! It was comforting to know you guys were all rooting for me aha, and you gave me the courage to actually say something.

I will head to the lounge for breakfast soon so that will be an experience! We have lunch at BOG today but I had been really stuck on where to have dinner tonight. So I think that has now also been solved aha. A lot of you were suggesting I try to take advantage of these perks as much as possible so don't worry I think I'll be able to today!
YAY!

Hint, if you happen to indulge in adult beverages, you don't have to wait till they are out to have some.
You can always ask the staff and they'll get you want you want.
Like you want a mimosa for breakfast, just ask for a glass of bubbly and they'll bring it. Some folks don't realize that such things are available any hour the lounge is open, not just when it's out.

I'm glad that you were able to switch rooms with an awesome upgrade!!! Its a bummer that you had a rough start to your trip but it looks like its working out in the end, yay pixie dust :)

I hope that the kids in the room next to you were able to calm down so that family could also enjoy their vacation. I feel sorry for them as I know that is not how they want to spend their vacation either. About a year ago, my toddler went through spurts where he would have night terrors. We try to keep him on a schedule and not let him get overly tired even on vacation to reduce the chances of them happening but on one of our trips (non-disney) he ended up with night terrors two nights in a row while we were staying at the hotel. Uncontrollable screaming/crying and there was nothing we can do (if you haven't experienced night terrors in a child- they are horrible and heartbreaking and you are helpless until they finally snap out of it). I felt terrible for my little boy but I was also so embarrassed because I knew that it had to be waking up the people around us and there was nothing we could do to stop it. Its a horrible feeling. So, I feel for that family as well. No one wants to spend that kind of money to go to Disney and have those types of problems. Here's hoping they get a little bit of pixie dust thrown their way as well!

Wow this drew a lot of replies!

Thanks everyone, I did discuss with front desk. The family is staying the same length of stay as me so I definitely can't handle that. I was very polite & explained & simply asked what options I might have? And then... magic happened! We were upgraded to club level!

My poor mum is crying with joy aha. I feel bad because this was not my intention at all. But it is literally the most amazing thing to happen to me at Disney...

I am going to go & thank the concierge now, and will send an email to the manager thanking them.

Thank you for everyone who encouraged this overly polite Canadian to take action lol!

YEAH for you! Sounds like they were short on comparable rooms, maybe from buffering the screaming with empty rooms.

Later we realized what she was talking about. A child/children in the room adjacent to ours screamed all night. We couldn't get any sleep, gave up & got an early start to our day. I brushed it off as "Disney is a place for kids, it happens". We came back for a nap at around 2:30 & could hear the screaming as we neared our room. No naps for us :(

At this point I'm utterly exhausted & ready to cry myself. The screaming seems to be endless. All night, all morning until we left, from when we got back to now... My love of Disney began as a child & it's not my intention to be "anti-kids". But I don't know how much longer I can survive like this. Should I speak to someone and ask to change rooms? I don't want to make trouble for this family, I just want some sleep!

In this age of "security checks" I would expect the hotel to be checking on the well-being of this child. We don't know what happened but my hope is that management would have gone to the room to see if they needed medical assistance, many don't know they can call for a doctor visit if they have no transportation OR if this was a child with special needs that was cycled in a bad place .... maybe "offer" them an option that would allow the child to decompress and parents to not be worried/upset about other guests ... move them to a FW cabin where they wouldn't be wall to wall with others.

Glad they moved you. You pay dearly for Disney hotel rooms and should never have to put up with disruptions. I think sending a nice email would be great as they often only get emails of complaint. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
YAY!

Hint, if you happen to indulge in adult beverages, you don't have to wait till they are out to have some.
You can always ask the staff and they'll get you want you want.
Like you want a mimosa for breakfast, just ask for a glass of bubbly and they'll bring it. Some folks don't realize that such things are available any hour the lounge is open, not just when it's out.

Thanks for this tip!

Glad to hear it all worked out. You were right to ask for a room change. This is not an apartment where you are stuck in lease. It's a vacation you are paying a lot of money for at a resort that wants you to be happy, so if something in or near the room is affecting you so much that's impacting your trip, you should definitely request a room change.

Sorry if I missed it, but what resort was this?

Lol! I think sometimes to my detriment. But my most favourite thing about Disney I think is... just the kindness & level of care everyone displays? Maybe not all guests but cast members for sure. It goes beyond a theme park or vacation. It's a magical feeling I always want to come back to! So when I am here, I try to share that magic as much as I can.

When I went back down to thank the concierge who helped us he seemed quite befuddled we'd come down just to thank him & had no other questions or issues. That made me a little sad. It's just not Disney without the work CM's do, I'm letting them know every chance I get!

When I am asked why my family continues to enjoy our WDW vacations I always say the same thing: We never leave feeling like a number, or an object. We are treated like individuals from the time we arrive to the time we depart, and have never left without CM's from every department that is visible talking to us. They are simply nice, and that counts for a lot.

Yes, you should definitely get a different room. Under no circumstances should you be expected to put up with that.

Honestly, the parent(s) should do something. I'm a mother of 4, I understand you can't always control a baby's cries--but I wouldn't subject other guests to it. If it was that out of control for that long (multiple days and nights!) the family should check out and go home.

I get what you are saying, but to me "cost prohibitive" is not OP, the other guests, or even Disney's problem. There are certain responsibilities you take on when you become a parent. Put it on credit card. Call friends or relatives to wire you money Western Union. Pawn your wedding ring. I don't care how you find a way, but don't put the burden on an innocent party.

I just clicked on this thread out of curiosity based on the title, but I felt compelled to reply. Holy cow, you're harsh! I hope I never have to do anything that irritates you, or be in a room next to you! Because I can assure you that if one of my 4 kids has a bad night I will be getting flustered and doing my absolute best to calm them, but i will not be checking my family out of our Disney vacation and going home, nor pawning anything to do so. I definitely try to be a good neighbor, and once we took turns with DS out on the Poly beach in the middle of the night because he was upset, but if for some reason I had to stay in the room I would hope for a little more compassion than being told to pawn my wedding ring in order to have enough money to leave my vacation early and go home. I admit I had less sympathy before I had kids, but now when I hear things like this I might do something like try to move MY room, but I would be thinking how bad I felt for that mom, and thankful that it wasn't me in that situation.

first of all it's not a place for kids. It's a place for everybody. You're not getting mad, or telling the neighbor what they ought to do with their kid, you're just doing what you need to do to get your sleep. And you are well within your rights to go down to the front desk and ask for a new room, they'll do what they can.

I just clicked on this thread out of curiosity based on the title, but I felt compelled to reply. Holy cow, you're harsh! I hope I never have to do anything that irritates you, or be in a room next to you! Because I can assure you that if one of my 4 kids has a bad night I will be getting flustered and doing my absolute best to calm them, but i will not be checking my family out of our Disney vacation and going home, nor pawning anything to do so. I definitely try to be a good neighbor, and once we took turns with DS out on the Poly beach in the middle of the night because he was upset, but if for some reason I had to stay in the room I would hope for a little more compassion than being told to pawn my wedding ring in order to have enough money to leave my vacation early and go home. I admit I had less sympathy before I had kids, but now when I hear things like this I might do something like try to move MY room, but I would be thinking how bad I felt for that mom, and thankful that it wasn't me in that situation.
Well, I HAVE been the mom in the situation where my child is making it miserable for others, and I HAVE removed my child from the situation. I believe that I am responsible for my child, not the random strangers in the room next to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter