Should I switch?

I would definetly switch because for 600$ less it really is a great deal.

(Ps: We didn't have any Problems with transportation there) :dogdance:

In 2016 we had a studio at the poly booked for a week. Then I was able to save over $800 by switching to AKL for last 3 days. Even though it had always been my dream to do the Poly and it was my birthday, DS had wanted to try AKL....and since we'd just done DCL Alaskan cruise that summer, DH was threatening to make me cancel entire trip because he didn't think we needed to spend the money. So, I sucked it up and changed to AKL for those last 3 days to save my trip. (I also dropped dining plan and a few ADRs to keep the peace). I was grumpy about the switch to AKL, but I fell in love with the resort...and the bus was no further than taking a bus from Poly to AK would have been. It was about 20 mins tops by bus, and we never had to wait more than a few mins for a bus at AKL it seemed. I would definitely switch to save that kind of money. AKL is beautiful, and we really enjoyed our stay there...I dare say I liked it better than the Poly (well, except for the easy access to Dole Whips).

That makes me feel better because I’m sad that we won’t be staying at AKL. Does AKL share a bus with any other resorts? Or does it go straight to and from each of the parks?

So difficult, I’ve stayed at them both and love both. If they were priced equally I’d have to flip a coin. But if you’re saving money, go with AKL.

I would say AKL’s only downfall is that night time journey back from MK, when your feet ache, and you don’t get a seat on the bus because it’s busy, and you have to stand for 20 mins. It isn’t great. But with $600 saving you could get a Minnie van or Uber if you need one. We found transport to the parks very efficient.

Last edited:

I love AKL. The dining is great. Also reccomend using the money you saved to try the Nighttime Safari, it is a great way to go out and get really up close and personal with some of the animals. I think only one other person mentioned the Mara- that is one of our favorites for QS and is open until about 1AM so great to go to after the safari. The chocolate peanut butter brownie is simply to die for! The staff there is also from Africa so very authentic in their service and traditional culture values :)

I have no problem with the bus but my husband prefers to drive. But we could drive to the other parks and use he bus to MK. If we wanted to Uber to MK where would it drop us off?
If you uber to MK it is at the transportation center, if you use the Minnie Vans, it is at the bus stop.

In 2016 we had a studio at the poly booked for a week. Then I was able to save over $800 by switching to AKL for last 3 days. Even though it had always been my dream to do the Poly and it was my birthday, DS had wanted to try AKL....and since we'd just done DCL Alaskan cruise that summer, DH was threatening to make me cancel entire trip because he didn't think we needed to spend the money. So, I sucked it up and changed to AKL for those last 3 days to save my trip. (I also dropped dining plan and a few ADRs to keep the peace). I was grumpy about the switch to AKL, but I fell in love with the resort...and the bus was no further than taking a bus from Poly to AK would have been. It was about 20 mins tops by bus, and we never had to wait more than a few mins for a bus at AKL it seemed. I would definitely switch to save that kind of money. AKL is beautiful, and we really enjoyed our stay there...I dare say I liked it better than the Poly (well, except for the easy access to Dole Whips).
Yep, we learned years ago that taking the bus is not the "forever" or "takes so long" that people make it out to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!