Should I tell them or not?

MamaDunk

Mama Dunk
Hi Everyone!

So we received our magic bands for our trip in May (We did the Perfect Gift MYW Pkg). In the past for all 4 trips we've been on I've always waited till the very last minute to let our girls know we are going (mostly because of the what if we can't afford it followed by can I really take the "how much longer" talk). The girls are now 12 (Lizzy Grace) and 10 (Sophia Isabella). What are your thoughts on giving the magic bands as part of a Christmas gift? Letting them in on yes, all the waiting that we do until the actual magical moment arrives or should I include them in all the planning? I love the planning but I may go too far. As in each night reading up and yep... I've actually planned trips down to the hour. Yeah... I'm a ball of fun :) Our last trip the only thing I planned was dining and fast pass. It was the best trip!!! We just did. I wasn't stressed on a schedule and we even slept in on some days. Wait, I'm off topic.

Okay so tell me what you think! Your thoughts!! Ideas... I've already did the huge surprise we are going to Disney at the airport thing one year so that's out. I've done the birthday scavenger hunt till she hit the DVD player and had to play the planning video... it took about 30 seconds for her to realize Disney was the gift lol.

Any help is appreciated <3

I think doing it as a Christmas present would be a good idea. The girls seem to be old enough that they may think it's fun to get in on the planning. Of course, that may just be giving opinions on what rides to Fastpass, which characters to make a priority, general dining ideas while you do the more intense planning!

Could you put the magic bands on the tree as ornaments and give them clues to find them Christmas morning?

We gave our grandkids WDW tickets for Christmas for a trip we and their parents had planned but they didn't know about. This was pre-MB but the Disney site had a feature back then by which one could create and print a personalized trip map. We gave them those things on the 25th and it all went very well. Of course we gave them something to open as well, they were kids after all.

Bill From PA

I would give them at Christmas. The anticipation is part of the fun! I keep a countdown on a chalkboard in the kitchen so I don't have to hear about how many days until we go all the time. My DD is 8 and I like to let her help in some of the planning. Also if we are staying at a new resort we'll watch videos on Youtube.

followed by can I really take the "how much longer" talk

Fwiw, I found that Planning trips with my son, even when he was little, helped him get a good sense of the calendar and time passing. We did countdown chains (like construction paper Xmas tree chain decorations) and would take a chain off with each passing day.

Might as well start that now with them. :):)

The one issue with putting the bands there for them to see first is that it
might make them they you’re going NOW. It’s not “notmal” to get the bands 6 months out, and since yiuve surprised them before they might think that bands = airport.

So I would want to do it a different way, where they know the timeframe of the trip first.

Anticipation is definitely half the fun for us, and my particular kids would not have done well at any age with a surprise of that magnitude (get in the car, we're going to Disney World! but mom, I have a play date tomorrow, lol).

At 10 & 12, I would think they are past the "how much longer" stage for the most part, because they can read a calendar :earboy2:

My DD9 has told us that she prefers to be surprised. We tell her about each trip a few days beforehand, so she has some time to process before we hop on the plane.

I think doing it as a Christmas present would be a good idea. The girls seem to be old enough that they may think it's fun to get in on the planning. Of course, that may just be giving opinions on what rides to Fastpass, which characters to make a priority, general dining ideas while you do the more intense planning!

Could you put the magic bands on the tree as ornaments and give them clues to find them Christmas morning?

Thank you!! You are right... it will be so much fun planning with them. I love the ornaments idea too.

We gave our grandkids WDW tickets for Christmas for a trip we and their parents had planned but they didn't know about. This was pre-MB but the Disney site had a feature back then by which one could create and print a personalized trip map. We gave them those things on the 25th and it all went very well. Of course we gave them something to open as well, they were kids after all.

Bill From PA

I would give them at Christmas. The anticipation is part of the fun! I keep a countdown on a chalkboard in the kitchen so I don't have to hear about how many days until we go all the time. My DD is 8 and I like to let her help in some of the planning. Also if we are staying at a new resort we'll watch videos on Youtube.

GREAT idea! We can watch all sorts of things together on youtube. I have to admit I get so excited doing our countdown. I could do a surprise chalkboard countdown and put my youngest in charge of counting down the days. She's handling our Christmas one right now and has it under control lol.

Fwiw, I found that Planning trips with my son, even when he was little, helped him get a good sense of the calendar and time passing. We did countdown chains (like construction paper Xmas tree chain decorations) and would take a chain off with each passing day.

Might as well start that now with them. :):) I never looked at it this way! You are so right. I love this!!!

The one issue with putting the bands there for them to see first is that it
might make them they you’re going NOW. It’s not “notmal” to get the bands 6 months out, and since yiuve surprised them before they might think that bands = airport.

So I would want to do it a different way, where they know the timeframe of the trip first.
Yes I could see this happening for sure. I think I will do the countdown board and THEN give them the bands which will be going back in the box and packed away LOL. I love that we have them so early but packing them away won't be easy. My daughter still wears her other one from our last trip on some days when she needs a Disney boost.

Anticipation is definitely half the fun for us, and my particular kids would not have done well at any age with a surprise of that magnitude (get in the car, we're going to Disney World! but mom, I have a play date tomorrow, lol).

At 10 & 12, I would think they are past the "how much longer" stage for the most part, because they can read a calendar :earboy2:
You are right, I don't realize at times just how much they have grown.

It's settled... I'll be sharing the news this Christmas with them! Thank you so much for taken time out and responding. This really helped me a lot.

Bill From PA

Sorry Bill.... I'm not very good with responding and apparently hit the post button too soon lol. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I absolutely love the idea with the map. I think I'm going to try and see if I can come up with something like that too. Make it lots of fun for them.

The Magic Bands would be great Xmas gifts. My goddaughter (almost 8) discovered Harry Potter 3 months ago. On the last day of Hanukah when she opens her present I am giving her and her parents one day/2 park tickets to Universal so she can live her dream. I am being a bit sneaky I taped them in an envelope and taped that to a very small package of Harry Potter figurines.

The Magic Bands would be great Xmas gifts. My goddaughter (almost 8) discovered Harry Potter 3 months ago. On the last day of Hanukah when she opens her present I am giving her and her parents one day/2 park tickets to Universal so she can live her dream. I am being a bit sneaky I taped them in an envelope and taped that to a very small package of Harry Potter figurines.

She's going to be soooooo happy Ken! How awesome. I'm super excited to see their faces now that I'm giving the bands to the girls for Christmas. The more help with planning the better I'm thinking lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter