Should schools in America teach Arabic Numerals as part of their curriculum?

Should schools in America teach Arabic Numerals as part of their curriculum?

• Yes

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
Well for people that didn't understand what they are, or didn't think it important there was a third option. No opinion. 15% said that. So why did 56% think it important enough to answer no? And do you really expect me to believe all of that 56% just thought we don't need any more useless number systems? What you're really asking me to do is bury my head in the sand and upon seeing all sand and no bigotry, assume that there isn't any bigotry. Bigotry was a big part of it. Not all of it. But a big chunk of it.

I didn't say there was no bigotry. I simply said that the idea that it's 100-percent racist, no questions asked, no other possibilities of thought behind it was wrong. I also didn't think it was possible for someone to simply decide another person's opinion on something must be racist, but kimblebee proved definitively that's the only possibility.

I think "xenophobe" or "ignorant" are basically the only options, unless you believe that we no longer need to use 0 - 9, like @cabanafrau. And by ignorant I mean not knowing what Arabic numerals are, as opposed to using it as an insult.

And I don't mean to shame people who don't know what they are. That's fine. Everybody learns something new every day. But if you were asked a question, and you didn't understand the question, then your answer shouldn't be "no". It should be "no opinion." Or you should ask for clarification. Or use a search engine.

Yep, I clearly stated children should not be taught to use numbers in school. Full stop. No other information given -- or at least any that will be acknowledged.

I am 100% sure you learned Arabic numerals. Maybe you didn't learn that's what they were called?

I learned what this calls European Numbers. The image also includes Arabic numbers. I have never seen those before

Attachments

• Arabic_numerals.png
    Arabic_numerals.png
    6 KB · Views: 17
Remembering that the question didn't specify "math curriculum" just curriculum... My first instinct, was to say yes, as part of a social studies unit. Thinking numbers and not specifically numerals. This thread was the first one I clicked on this morning, while still in bed, so my brain wasn't fully engaged. But as soon as I processed that thought, my next thought, "Hey, wait a minute!" I never would have voted no, even with my momentary lapse.

Arabic is one of the most spoken languages in the world. Certainly, Americans should know that. And also know that given the global economy/marketplace that some basic exposure to other cultures should be standard. And the very, very basics such as phrases such as Hello, Thank You, Yes/No and Numbers are the type of things that get introduced in Elementary school units. I remember learning how to count to 10 in French, German and Spanish. These days, Arabic and Mandarin should be pretty standard as well.

So honestly, I'm disappointed in the reported "no" vote because I don't think you have to know our numbers are Arabic numbers in order to say "yes." All you need is an understanding that Arabic language is a major world language, and numbers are one of the most basic and easily teachable elements of a culture. Saying no, is like saying Americans don't need to know the basics of other major cultures (while I'm sure we would be appalled in other countries didn't teach the basics of the USA because we are such a world power).

And I don't disagree w/ you.

But I also know there's quite a lot of people out there thinking - "Learning Arabic numerals in math?!? Learning Chinese in math!?! My kid can barely do math in English! Much less in a foreign language!"

Then your opinion is just wrong, right? Because it's based on wrong information. It comes down to the same thing in the end. So, if you want to get technical, there are three four reasons:

xenophobe, ignorant, confused, @cabanafrau

Although, I guess "xenophobe" is adding a judgment call to the confused option. You think Arabic numerals are numbers from the Arab language and the US shouldn't teach them because ... um... there's not enough time in the day? Do those people feel the same way about Roman numerals?

Look, I don't think anyone is saying someone is "right" for saying that Arabic numerals shouldn't be taught in a math class.

I just think there are people out there saying "no" due to reasons besides just racial or xenophobic reasons.

Yes, they're wrong. But, perhaps, they said "no," not because they're racist or xenophobic, but because they don't know or remember what Arabic numerals are.

And I don't disagree w/ you.

But I also know there's quite a lot of people out there thinking - "Learning Arabic numerals in math?!? Learning Chinese in math!?! My kid can barely do math in English! Much less in a foreign language!"

I said as much in my earlier reply as well.

But now I'm questioning the leap to associate with math. Would we get the same reaction to French, Spanish or German? I don't think people to leap to math, when asked about schools teaching Spanish or French numbers. They leap to foreign language. What would make Arabic different? Is it because people know the Arabic alphabet is different, and assume Arabic numerals would look different, while French and Spanish use the same alphabet we do?

I learned what this calls European Numbers. The image also includes Arabic numbers. I have never seen those before
I know they use the "Arabic-Indic" numerals from your image in the Arab nations in the Middle East. I saw them in Saudi, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, and the UAE. I always thought they were pretty cool looking and have them on a watch I bought in Saudi.

I said as much in my earlier reply as well.

But now I'm questioning the leap to associate with math. Would we get the same reaction to French, Spanish or German? I don't think people to leap to math, when asked about schools teaching Spanish or French numbers. They leap to foreign language. What would make Arabic different? Is it because people know the Arabic alphabet is different, and assume Arabic numerals would look different, while French and Spanish use the same alphabet we do?

I get what you're saying, &, I think, yes.

If a student came home w/ math homework, &, as part of the homework, the student had to memorize 1-10 in French, Spanish, and/or German, I think there would be some parents who would complain.

I don't there would be a problem w/ the students being introduced to different foreign languages while in math class, but, yes, once it became part of the learned assignments, I think parents would complain.

I live in a suburb of one of the major cities of our state, but our city is surrounded by rural areas. I don't think that many of our rural areas consider global education & its importance. Some do, but not all.

Remembering that the question didn't specify "math curriculum" just curriculum... My first instinct, was to say yes, as part of a social studies unit. Thinking numbers and not specifically numerals. This thread was the first one I clicked on this morning, while still in bed, so my brain wasn't fully engaged. But as soon as I processed that thought, my next thought, "Hey, wait a minute!" I never would have voted no, even with my momentary lapse.

Arabic is one of the most spoken languages in the world. Certainly, Americans should know that. And also know that given the global economy/marketplace that some basic exposure to other cultures should be standard. And the very, very basics such as phrases such as Hello, Thank You, Yes/No and Numbers are the type of things that get introduced in Elementary school units. I remember learning how to count to 10 in French, German and Spanish. These days, Arabic and Mandarin should be pretty standard as well.

So honestly, I'm disappointed in the reported "no" vote because I don't think you have to know our numbers are Arabic numbers in order to say "yes." All you need is an understanding that Arabic language is a major world language, and numbers are one of the most basic and easily teachable elements of a culture. Saying no, is like saying Americans don't need to know the basics of other major cultures (while I'm sure we would be appalled in other countries didn't teach the basics of the USA because we are such a world power).

I think it would be great for more people to learn foreign languages, but that doesn't mean I think it ought to be a standard part of the American curriculum. There's also a huge difference in learning to recite 1-10 in Spanish and learning those same numbers in Arabic. With Spanish, if you can accurately pronounce the words, you have a fair chance at being able to recognize it if it's written and may even be able to write it yourself somewhat coherently simply by sounding it out, all despite having possibly never learning the actual reading and writing of it.

With Arabic, you have to learn the symbol for the number, how to write the written name of the number, how and when the number varies between masculine or feminine, know that numbers are written left to right, but everything else in Arabic is right to left, as well as other mechanics specifically about numbers, all in addition to how to pronounce the number.

The amount of time that would have to go into just teaching 1-10 in Arabic (symbol, written, and pronunciation) in an Elementary School setting as you propose would not in my opinion be worth the other core subjects that would have to be forfeited.

I get what you're saying, &, I think, yes.

If a student came home w/ math homework, &, as part of the homework, the student had to memorize 1-10 in French, Spanish, and/or German, I think there would be some parents who would complain.

I don't there would be a problem w/ the students being introduced to different foreign languages while in math class, but, yes, once it became part of the learned assignments, I think parents would complain.

I live in a suburb of one of the major cities of our state, but our city is surrounded by rural areas. I don't think that many of our rural areas consider global education & its importance. Some do, but not all.

Not.math.class. The question, as asked in the OP and the news article is about curriculum in general. If a student came home with social studies or foreign language homework about learning 1-10 in Spanish, French or German would parents complain? Would they about Arabic numbers (which I'm assuming people are leaping to when they hear Arabic numerals)?

I think it would be great for more people to learn foreign languages, but that doesn't mean I think it ought to be a standard part of the American curriculum. There's also a huge difference in learning to recite 1-10 in Spanish and learning those same numbers in Arabic. With Spanish, if you can accurately pronounce the words, you have a fair chance at being able to recognize it if it's written and may even be able to write it yourself somewhat coherently simply by sounding it out, all despite having possibly never learning the actual reading and writing of it.

With Arabic, you have to learn the symbol for the number, how to write the written name of the number, how and when the number varies between masculine or feminine, know that numbers are written left to right, but everything else in Arabic is right to left, as well as other mechanics specifically about numbers, all in addition to how to pronounce the number.

The amount of time that would have to go into just teaching 1-10 in Arabic (symbol, written, and pronunciation) in an Elementary School setting as you propose would not in my opinion be worth the other core subjects that would have to be forfeited.

I went to Japan in December. In an elevator, I needed to tell the old woman who was blocking the number pad which floor I wanted. Because I had had exposure to Japanese 1-10 I could tell her the number of the floor I wanted. I didn't need to know how to write it in Japanese. I'm talking about basic exposure. Yes, you can make it a lot more elaborate course of study, but it's not a necessity.

Not.math.class. The question, as asked in the OP and the news article is about curriculum in general. If a student came home with social studies or foreign language homework about learning 1-10 in Spanish, French or German would parents complain? Would they about Arabic numbers (which I'm assuming people are leaping to when they hear Arabic numerals)?

I went to Japan in December. In an elevator, I needed to tell the old woman who was blocking the number pad which floor I wanted. Because I had had exposure to Japanese 1-10 I could tell her the number of the floor I wanted. I didn't need to know how to write it in Japanese. I'm talking about basic exposure. Yes, you can make it a lot more elaborate course of study, but it's not a necessity.

I included the written aspect because of the discussion of numerals, which references the written symbols for numbers. Also, I was just explaining why I disagreed with the opinion that Arabic numbers should be a part of standard curriculum as you don't get the same level of knowledge by just learning to pronounce the Arabic numbers as you would with Spanish and several other languages, since simply learning the pronunciation isn't going to help you recognize the written. Arabic has such a large number of different dialects that sound very different, moreso in my opinion than those within for instance the Spanish language. That further reduces the communicative benefits of a native English speaker learning just to count to ten in an Arabic dialect that may end up being completely different than that of the person they may one day need to say a number to.

I think learning languages is great. I just disagree with the idea that Arabic numbers should be part of standard curriculum (as discussed by you as a reason not to vote no, even if misunderstanding what was referenced in the poll).

Last edited:
I think learning languages is great. I just disagree with the idea that Arabic numbers should be part of standard curriculum (as discussed by you as a reason not to vote no, even if misunderstanding what was referenced in the poll).
You realize that "Arabic numbers" are the standard 0-9 numbers right? That is what they are called and even if they were referring to the Eastern Arabic numbers in the poll I would have no problem with them being taught in school.
I think languages other than English SHOULD be taught in school. And for the record my DD10 is being educated in a language other than English, even though our first language at home is English. She is being taught in French, (all math, science, social studies and PE is in French) and has been since kindergarten. Only now, in 4th grade gets 30 minutes of English instruction 3 days a week. She attends public school.

Last edited:
You realize that "Arabic numbers" are the standard 0-9 numbers right?

Yes, I've discussed that earlier in the thread. I specifically used the phrasing "Arabic numbers" instead of "Arabic Numerals" to differentiate between the overarching discussion about the poll and a particular side discussion I was having with that person about teaching actual Arabic pronunciation of numbers in schools. That poster essentially said that even if they didn't know that Arabic Numerals were our basic system of numbers, he/she still wouldn't have voted no because teaching the pronunciation of numbers in Arabic is beneficial to curriculum. My post was explaining why I disagreed with that particular position.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!