Should this work for switching points

Donna M

DIS Veteran
We have a reservation for a 2021 March vacation using 2020's banked points. Our use year is Feb. I'm thinking of making a Dec 2021 reservation just in case we have to cancel the March one. If I have to cancel the March trip, can I have them reassign the banked points into the Dec trip and have those points put back into 2021. Putting the points back to 2021 shouldn't be a problem, I'm thinking the reassigning could be a problem.

I hope I explained it clearly.

It can be done but you have to be careful WHEN you "modify" your March and Dec trips. A modify operation is equivalent to cancel and book operations with all the associate restrictions. (Don't ask how I know. The memory still gives me shutters.)

Your banked Feb 2020 points are good from Feb 1, 2021 to Jan 31, 2022. You should be able to use them for either trip. The issue you have to worry about is canceling your Mar trip more than 31 days out so your points don't go into Holding (they probably will reset Holding at some time in the future). And making sure you cancelled the unbanked 2021 points in time to bank them.

We have a reservation for a 2021 March vacation using 2020's banked points. Our use year is Feb. I'm thinking of making a Dec 2021 reservation just in case we have to cancel the March one. If I have to cancel the March trip, can I have them reassign the banked points into the Dec trip and have those points put back into 2021. Putting the points back to 2021 shouldn't be a problem, I'm thinking the reassigning could be a problem.

I hope I explained it clearly.

I do it all the time as I prefer to wait to bank until the last minute just in case another trip is needed! :teeth: You can do it yourself online. There's been reports here and there the members have been told by CM's it can't be done. It's really a simple process though to do yourself by using modify.

It can be done but you have to be careful WHEN you "modify" your March and Dec trips. A modify operation is equivalent to cancel and book operations with all the associate restrictions. (Don't ask how I know. The memory still gives me shutters.)

The normal points restrictions do apply of course but modify does not cancel a reservation up until the step you finalize the new room. You can back out of the transaction anytime prior to that and your original reservation will still be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter