Shout-out to....

Ariel Wanna-be

“And when my time is up, have I done enough?”
...DISers! Specifically, the TPaS, Restaurants, Resorts, Transportation, and Cruise boards.

So I am super-annoyed right now and I'm trying to turn a negative into a positive. We are going to Hawaii this July (not Aulani :eek:). 3 islands, 2 weeks, and we've never been before...to say the least, I am overwhelmed. So I have been spending time on the TA Hawaii forum to try to get a grip on things. Let me just say that the TA boards are soooooo not the DIS boards. Sure, some people try to be helpful, but for the most part, it seems like the board veterans are just waiting to pounce on clueless first-timers who might misspell a Hawaiian word (you are not making enough of an effort to respect the culture), or ask about "hidden gems" (that's a no-no, because the locals need places to avoid the hordes), or ask about an uncrowded beach on Saturdays (you are being selfish - leave the beaches to the residents on Saturdays). BTW, it was the question about hidden gems that prompted this thread...the responses were so unhelpful and snarky that the poor poster actually apologized for asking it :(.

While the advice is accurate, it's not often presented in a friendly manner. I have tons of questions, but I haven't posted a single one because I don't want to deal with the condensation and unwelcoming attitudes. I'm sure I'll ask the wrong thing ("where's the best place to see the lava") and I'll receive a snarky response ("you know there is more to Hawaii than volcanoes, right?") and it will bother me.

I have been reading these boards for a long time, and I still, after 15+ trips and 3 cruises, find valuable information that is freely and unbegrudgingly (that's not a word but it fits) given. I have yet to ask a question and not receive good advice. Yes, there are posters who can be snarky at times...yes, there are know-it-alls...yes, there are drama queens (hi Community Board)...but most posters are helpful, friendly, and willing to share their love of Disney. Even when someone asks "When is the three o'clock parade?" they still get an answer. :)

So the TA boards have really made me appreciate the DIS. Thanks for helping me out for so many years, and not making me feel like a moron for asking questions.

And if anyone knows any good vegetarian restaurants in Kauai, please let me know. ;)

ETA: I don't want to imply that *all* the posters on TA are awful....they aren't. It's just that the "bad" seem to outweigh the "good." :)

I've had both good and bad experiences on the TA boards. I've definitely seen what you are mentioning, and not just on the Hawaii forum. I will agree that (for the most part), DISers are a friendlier bunch. If you have questions about Oahu, I might be able to help. Unfortunately that's the only island I've had the opportunity to visit thus far.

Try asking your questions on the Aulani board? I would assume the people who go there leave the resort at some point, and could offer tips. :)

Thanks for your kind words regarding TPAS!

My DH and I have been visiting Kaanapali, Maui for the past 9 days and have found vegetarian sushi rolls and lots of entrees featuring tofu and veggies. You should find the same on Kauai.

Our favorite restaurant in Kauai is Hukilau Lanai in Kapaa and they have some vegetarian apps and a vegetarian lasagna. Be sure to book a reservation as it's a very popular restaurant. :)

Have a great time traveling throughout Hawaii ~ it's beautiful and we hate to leave tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter