Shrek mediocre at best

I thought it was great. Someone,I know, thought it was claymation. I just had to shake my head.:rolleyes:

They were sending them to a "relocation camp" because Lord "What's his name" didn't think they belonged in his kingdom. It fit in nicely for me with the idea that folks didn't like Shrek either because he was different.

It set up the story and that was enough for me. Sometimes comedy doesn't have to make perfect sense I guess.

Some of the humor really blew me away! That whole sequence in the middle of the movie when the bird blew up, and when they inflated the frog and the snake. My kids and I couldn't stop laughing. It was cruel humor I know, but it caught us so off-guard that we lost it! I've always thought that the most effective humor is when something happens that catches you by surprise.

Of anything, the love story grabbed me the least. It was only one element though.

And the last musical sequence was a GAS!!! It left me with the same happy feeling that we got at the end of movies like the Lion King and Tarzan. My kids left singing "I'm a Believer". We are going to get the sound track, we liked it THAT much!

It's been a long time since I have recommended a family movie to my friends. Spy Kids and Shrek are the most fun that I have had in a long time.

Isn't it cool that we can all have different opinions about the same flick?!! That's what discussion boards are for.

Oh, good, I'm glad to know that Smashmouth will be able to make extra money of a Monkees tune. :bounce: :bounce:

I guess I require more. Yes, it became obvious that Lord Farquad wanted his "Perfect kingdom, and that that meant no Fairytale characters, but they certainly did a horrible job of setting that up.

Also, Last I checked, If your a Lord, and you run the Kingdom, then you, in fact, are King. I still have to say, the movie had no plot setup.

The first time I cracked a smile was with Robinhood. And those jokes will be passe' and 6 months (they were passe' already, Shrek brought them back)

Interestingly enough, the day before I saw shrek, I saw Emperor's new Groove. I thought it was Hilarious. No cinderella, I put it with Three Cabelleros.

I liked Groove too. I kind of put it in the same category as Shrek, just not as funny. But it certainly had its "moments" (Kronk was a HOOT!) In any case, it's nice that we can debate the merits of movies that were given resources, talent, and wit. I can sense inspiration and care behind both.

If Shrek succeeds and Atlantis does well, then all of us win! Like WDW and Universal, this is a case where we benefit from being caught in the crossfire!

I am really worried about the stories about Animation being cut. I hope that Disney keeps it rudder pointed in the direction of the past 10 years or so. There is nothing that I look forward to more than a new animated feature. The good ones are great no matter who makes them. For example, I thought that the Iron Giant was one of the best movies of any type that I have ever seen. It's too bad that it didn't do better, but I would have liked Warner Bros. to try again instead of shutting down the department.

The answer to animation not doing good box office is to make and market better movies. Not cut back. Eventually people go.

This works in reverse too. Enough garbage like Lady and the Tramp2/ Little Mermaid 2 and people will stop buying. (I just had to get in one more shot.....I HATED those things and I rented both. I can't believe that I contributed to the problem.....!)

Anyway, off to work I go! Heigh ho.

In the story, the fairy tales characters are being kicked out of the kingdom because to be “different” means you’re not “perfect”. That’s something that Eisner – er – Farquad won’t allow. The story point could have been better explained in the film, but it fits the movie’s theme about acceptance.

But the real reason it’s probably in the movie is far more interesting and goes back to the whole Eisner – Katzenberg feud. When Eisner first took over, he didn’t have a high opinion about feature animation. It had been a long time since Disney had produced even a modest hit animated film (‘The Rescuers’ way back in the seventies) and they had made a string of very costly flops (‘The Fox and The Hound’, ‘The Black Cauldron’, etc.). Eisner thought that animation was really only suited for children’s programming and seriously thought about shutting down the feature group and only producing animation for television. Needless to say, this did not sit well with Roy Disney.

When Katzenberg came on board, he was put in charge of creating an animated flick to keep The Boss (i.e., Roy) happy. Eisner was convinced that to only way to have a hit was to make the film “hip” and “in tune with today’s audience”. They had to junk all of the “out-dated” fairy tale elements and make modern films. Basically, to update the animated films the same way that Eisner had updated the live action films from ‘The Computer That Wore Tennis Shoes’ into ‘Down and Out in Beverly Hills’. So, this is where the idea for ‘Oliver and Company’ came from – a hip cast (well, as hip as they could afford at the time), an urban setting that people could relate to, and a soundtrack filled with trying-to-be Top 40 tunes.

It was also at the same time a film called ‘The Little Mermaid’ was in production. Katzenberg saw the work and (according to him) fell in love with it instantly. What followed was a debate about the direction Disney animated films should take. The debate didn’t last long because of the box office failures of ‘Oliver’ and ‘The Rescuers Down Under’ and the success of ‘Mermaid’. Disney films were essentially Broadway style musicals right up until Katezenberg left. Since then, the films are trending back to Eisner’s vision – ‘Tarzan’ to ‘Emperor’ to ‘Atlantis’ to ‘Treasure Planet’.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Sometimes the story behind the movie is more interesting than the movie itself.

I personally believe that there is enough room (and money) for all kinds of movies to do well. Movies such as "Shrek" are fine. Believe me, Disney will still make money, even with such stinkers as the latest sequels.

I do have to agree that Disney needs to go back to the Broadway style of movies they were producing in the early 90's. I used to buy all the soundtracks even before I saw the movies because I knew that the music would be great. I stopped doing this once "Mulan" hit. I don't know what the deal is, but Disney has really let their animated movies slide. I think they're more interested in giving quantity than quality. And that makes me very angry.

I was not impressed with "New Groove." It didn't give anything new that "Tarzan" or "Hercules" hadn't given before. Disney needs to really analyze the products they are making.

lady

All I want to say is although it was funny and a cute ending, I think it was really geared towards adults.

Some of the humor was above my 5 year old's head and inappropriate for little ones Thank God she didn't understand alot of it. She kept asking why everyone was laughing.

Stuff I didn't like were: "Eat Me", the comment about one of the Princess not putting out on the first date, Robin Hood's song with reference to him "getting laid", the BIG castle "compensating" something else, etc...

Then there's the a** and D*** words.

I kind of wish I knew this before we went to see it but that's my own fault.

After the crap that was dinosaur I would understand that you fine folks would not be able to appreciate a picture as good as Shrek, which also almost overtook another bad disney film this weak in its third week of release (Pearl Harbor).

Who are you Katzenberg?
I'm sorry, I didn't see Dinosaur, and never claimed anything about its quality. I did however think that Shrek lacked certain qualities that make up a good movie. Qualities that even the likes of Emperor's new groove have.

But thanks for essentially calling me a creten for my lack of appreciation of that computer animated Drival. I just love being talked down to.

Also, why was a movie that was so obvioulsy not intended for a Childrens audience, hyped as a Childrens movie, why Children type tie-ins?
Gee, it sounds just like what happened with Road to El Dorado. At least the Princess isn't a harlot(safe Disney word, insert modern crass term here:bounce: ) like the female character in that movie.

beatty family

You find that in all films today. The a** word you described was in reference to his donkey therfore not out of context. I found the humor no worse than some Disney films I have watched. I just finished watching The Santa Clause . There was 1 sexual reference about a married man and his assistant, 1 raindeer with a bad gas problem, 1 drug reference not to mention various jokes bashing Neil"s profession. Mighty Joe Young another Disney film,had a very explicit eletrocution scene at the end showing a man on fire being thrown against a fence. Believe me Shrek is no worse maybe even better.

Just to let everybody know.... "Shrek" is rated PG....as is "Atlantis." So does that answer any questions about the appropriateness for children? Always have to read the fine print. Just because it's animated doesn't mean it is totally squeaky clean.

lady

Lady
The difference is Brand marketing. Dreamworks has no conintation for kids movies as their films bridge a vast array of types from Chicken Run to Saving Private Ryan. Dreamworks does not always have a kidsafe tag just from its logo. Shrek was rated PG and parents should not always assume because it's animated it's a kids movie. Hey look at Fritz the Cat in th 60's a cartoon but NOT for kids.
Disney on the other hand has Kidsafe written all over it's logo.So when I took my kid to see The Santa Clause (don't get me wrong it's a fun good movie) but my 5 yo asked me questions about the drug reference of the 60's and I feel a parent shoud not be placed in that situation in a film from Disney especially one aimed at kids. It's not the film it's the company behind it.Dreamworks never proclaimed to kid only but Disney (not Hollywood, Touchstone or Miramax) has. That's my problem with it.

Ok, I was just giving my opinion. I didn't insult anyone or single out anyone.

I also said it was my own fault for not making sure it was appropriate for my 5 year old.

I also didn't compare it to Disney movies or say Disney movies were better.

That being said, even though it was PG as a "warning" to parents, they are still trying to get kids to see it with their advertising. My daughter saw all the Burger King, Wal-Mart, and also some ice cream shop commercials and was desperate to see it. Again, my fault for not checking the rating and seeing why it was rated PG.

FYI, I didn't let my daughter see Dinosaur. I'm not discussing "Mighty Joe" or "The Santa Claus" here. I have opinions on them too, but I was giving my opinion on Shrek.

Even though they were referring to the Donkey as an A** or a Jack***, I don't like it just like I wouldn't like them referring to a female dog by her technical name either. That's just me, I know.

:D

I agree that some things in "Shrek" and other Disney live-action films are not appropriate for children. What should parents do? Do they need to go out and see the movie first before they entertain the idea of taking their children? I don't know. I don't have the answer to that.

I must say this, though. Most of the jokes and language in "Shrek" go over kids' heads anyway...except for the visual references of coure. It's a miracle that the kids remember the references when they start asking their parents about them. And to be honest, there are a lot of families who don't care what their kids watch on tv or at the movies. For example, one of my first grade students went into a huge summary about all three "Scream" movies. Believe me, I hope I'm never like that as a parent when I have children, but I hate to admit that kids are beginning to be inundated with this kind of material. They are being desensitized to it every day. I'm not saying this is right or wrong; I'm just stating the facts. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with "Shrek." I know I'm a pretty liberal person, but I'm also a school teacher so I know a lot about what kids should or should not see.

If you don't think it's appropriate, then don't let your kids watch it. Problem solved.

And as for the tie-in with Burger King, well, that's another story altogether.

lady

We saw Shrek this weekend. It was pretty good, but I really didn't get very excited about it. The production quality was excellent, but I don't really get into the frat house humor. My sons like that though. Am I the only one who thinks that the Disney references weren't completely benign? I sensed a little hostility from Mr. Katzenberg.

well my DH dragged me to see it. Now I'm fiercely loyal to Disney, so I teased him that I wouldnt give our money to that other company. I finally gave in under the agreement that if anyone asked I was drugged, tied up, and forced to watch it. Now I was actually expecting it to be very good since the majority of people were saying it was hilarious. I wasnt impressed. It was okay, but I just cant understand why its doing this well in the theaters. I laughed maybe 3 times(bird blowing up was funny), and didnt leave the theater feeling as though I had just seen something amazing. Even my husband who is not as Disney biased as me said that it lacked something, and that it wasnt really that funny. I guess to each their own. I think some people will love it...I was definately not one of those people....oh well

Fiver

it lacked something alright. a story maybe with a true beginning middle and an end. just saw evolution it was funny but also lacked a good solid story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter