Shulas Review

MickeyCrazed

DIS Veteran
We went to Shulas on Tuesday 10/21. Our first impression was a bit of disappointment due to the noise level. There was a convention going on and the place was packed! (There was probably 30 people jammed into a corner normally meant for about 14.) You had to scream for the people sitting next to you to hear what you were saying. Not really the atmosphere were were looking for when cheapest cut of steak on the menu was over $30.
But the meal began and our disappointment began to fade......

For appetizers we ordered:
Beefsteak Tomatoes & Gorgonzola Cheese
Barbecue Shrimp Stuffed with Basil
Shula's Steak Soup
We shared around the table and everything was great. But if I had to do it over again I would not order the soup. It was tomato based and a little heavy. Not really what I was expecting.

Our entrees were:
12 oz. Filet Mignon
(2) 24 oz. Porterhouse steaks
and the famous 48 oz. Porterhouse

Our vegetables were:
Fresh Asparagus Spears
Potato Pancake
Twice Baked Potato

Well our table of 4 had easily enough food to feed 8! Everything was delicious. The steaks were by far the best that any of us ever had on WDW property. Well worth the price even though $$$ were ringing in my head during the whole meal.

Most of us agreed if we went back, we would get the filet instead of the porterhouse. It was extremely tender, and the cut of beef was so good that it didn't shrink when it was cooked.

Oh I almost forgot to mention....
The brave soul who ordered the 48 oz porterhouse did finish the whole steak as well as a healty portion of appetizers and vegetables. Where did he put it all???? :earseek:

So even though it was :crowded: we would go back again. I can't wait to plan our next visit. Just one additional word of advise....
Before they clean off your table, make sure you ask to take home the leftovers. They threw ours away without asking. :eek: :eek: :eek:
We were really disappointed because we were dreaming of steak and eggs for breakfast the next morning.

Thanks for the great review!!!

We did Shula's in NYC, and it was fantastick! We shared the 12 oz. filet and had caesar salads to go with it. The salad could have used less dressing..........

We also had some sauted mushrooms to go with it, and for dessert they accommodated our Atkins requirements with berries and cream. It was lovely, and we'll be back!!

Before agreeing to your opinion that Shula's has "the best steak at WDW" I need to ask have you had the Charred NY STrip at Flying Fish yet? This is very important (lol)...

Next, I find it interesting (again) that the best steak at Shula's seems to universally be the Filet. Does anyone out there like any of the others better than their Filet???pirate:

Tell me in round numbers what did a 48 oz Porterhouse cost?:wave2:

Next, I find it interesting (again) that the best steak at Shula's seems to universally be the Filet. Does anyone out there like any of the others better than their Filet???
Why, YES, Heir Pirate, there is someone out here who doesn't list the filet as their favorite!

The filet IS excellent, but I prefer a more flavorful cut. At Shula's, I've had the porterhouse and the bone-in ribeye (Cowboy steak), and I prefer them both to the filet. (I haven't ordered the filet myself, but my wife has)

But if you're looking for tenderness, its hard to beat the filet.

Pirate:
I'm a Porterhouse fan myself, and that's what I got when we dined at Shula's. Maybe not as fork tender as the filet, but plenty tender enough, and as Raidermatt suggests, has a bit more "flavor" than a Filet.

We went on October 17th, for our anniversary, we loved it!! I got the coyboy ribeye with melted gorgonzola on it, it was SO huge!! I hated to leave the rest of it, but we had no where to take it or no way to eat it again... because it was our anniversary they treated us with the Chocolate Soufflé For Two. It was a very nice gesture, however I don't like chocolate!! I was really looking forward to the Creme Brulee I'd been dreaming about it all day! We were very shocked to see our waiter bring it over and congratulate us, so I smiled graciously as he dished out the VERY HOT Soufflé. I bit my tongue and tried to look like I was enjoying it, all the while I wished I didn't have it in my mouth!! It was VERY "chocolaty" even my husband who does like chocolate said it was too much. So we both ate what we could and made a small dent in it (it's quite large). I felt bad because they didn't have to do anything for us, but I really missed not having the Creme Brulee!

We'd definitely go back. I didn't realize he's got a restaurant in NYC, we're going to have to check it out!
:hyper:

Peter Pirate - Yes I have tried the NY Strip at FF, and I do prefer Shulas. Sorry....

danny1649 - I believe the cost was $65.

For everyone else who had comments about the filet:
I almost NEVER order filet. At most restaurants, the cut is usually too small and never flavorful. But the small bite I had at Shulas was very impressive! I would recommend it if Shulas will be a stop on your vacation.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :D

Mickey Crazed, don't be sorry...Everyones taste buds can't be as good as mine!!!:p (it's a joke).

Thanks Matt & Uncle, I'm happy to hear some positives on other cuts at Shula's. Personally I had the Cowboy Steak both times and it was just 'good' both times. Perhaps if we go a third time I'll try the PH (I'm not generally a filet guy either)...
pirate:

:D

Maybe, just maybe, I will give the steak at FF another try in January.
I will post and let you know how it goes.

I love the cowboy steak and I could not even come close to finishing it :earseek: For our engagement we got served 2 creme brulee's on the house.

No problem, Pete... anytime I can help! I thought the Cowboy Steak was great, though I'll probably go back to the Porterhouse next time.

ofiesty4u, thanks for sharing your experience. I had never considered that a free dessert would actually be a problem, but you did make a good point. If that happens again, I'd suggest thanking them for the dessert, then asking them if it would be ok if you ordered a creme brulee as well. They'd probably charge you for it of course, but that's what you were expecting anyway.

Any opinions on the prime rib? I am holding reservations at both Shula's and Yachtsman for my mom's birthday over Thanksgiving weekend. I can't decide which one to keep. I love a really seasoned steak. My mom loves prime rib. The menu at Yachtsman looks great.

Others in our party have had the prime rib at Shula's and liked it very much. I got to try a decent size hunk of it last time we were there and it was very good.

Since you're in the Bay Area, maybe you've been to the House of Prime Rib on Van Ness in SF? They have EXCELLENT prime rib, and I would rate Shula's as a notch below, but still very good.

Haven't been to the YS, so I'm afraid I can't offer an comparisons.

I love Prime Rib and have eaten it in almost every Rest at WDW.
Shula's was excellent one of the best I have had anywhere. Yachtman was a disappointment to me and all in our party. I actually thought it was overpriced for what we got. I don't mind paying $30.00 for a steak but give me a $30.00 steak!!!

Another great choice for prime rib is the Palm Rest. at the Hard Rock Hotel in Universal We love it there too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter