Sick After Dream Cruise

Adding the hand washing stations outside of the buffet was probably an effort to control the spread of germs, even more than the sani wipes. But if a virus can spread just by being in the air and inhaled, then there is really not much one can do. It's one of the unfortunate pitfalls of cruising.

Adding the hand washing stations outside of the buffet was probably an effort to control the spread of germs, even more than the sani wipes. But if a virus can spread just by being in the air and inhaled, then there is really not much one can do. It's one of the unfortunate pitfalls of cruising.
Gastro-intestinal illnesses are not airborne

You're kind of both right. The virus isn't airborne in the same way that the influenza virus is when you cough or sneeze. Not to be too graphic here but...you gotta be in the same room a someone who is actively projecting the virus...from either end...if you catch my drift...

So if you're in the bathroom with someone who has noro and has the runs and/or is throwing up, then the contaminated liquid can splash or being aerosolized with a flush, and then someone can be infected by actually ingesting the virus particles.

It's not true inhalation, it's actually ingestion, and it's unlikely that you would get an airborne infection from, say, walking through Cabana's while a sick person is in there. But if you walk into a bathroom where someone is throwing up, there's a potential to get sick. And, as always, surfaces are the most likely culprits.

You're kind of both right. The virus isn't airborne in the same way that the influenza virus is when you cough or sneeze. Not to be too graphic here but...you gotta be in the same room a someone who is actively projecting the virus...from either end...if you catch my drift...

So if you're in the bathroom with someone who has noro and has the runs and/or is throwing up, then the contaminated liquid can splash or being aerosolized with a flush, and then someone can be infected by actually ingesting the virus particles.

It's not true inhalation, it's actually ingestion, and it's unlikely that you would get an airborne infection from, say, walking through Cabana's while a sick person is in there. But if you walk into a bathroom where someone is throwing up, there's a potential to get sick. And, as always, surfaces are the most likely culprits.
Thanks for the clarification!

Someone from my party has contracted a gastrointestinal illness after four of five cruises on DCL. Getting sick is more the expectation than the exception.

As someone mentioned a couple of pages ago, norovirus can be shed up to two weeks after illness resolves. The three day window on the health form is not sufficient to keep potentially infectious passengers (or crew) off, and that's before you even account for people who are not disclosing symptoms.

I got extremely ill on my honeymoon EC 7 night in September. I felt fine up until Thursday morning, where after breakfast at Cabanas I developed a horrible bout of stomach cramps, fever, and fatigue that lasted about a day and a half, then disappeared as mysteriously as it came. I'm almost certain it was the norovirus as our server assistant disappeared day two into the cruise for the same amount of time, three days before I got sick. I don't believe for a second that if the cruise was short and/or longer that I would have fared any better - I have a terrible immune system and just happen to be unlucky. Sorry to hear it happened to you too.

True...

My guess since it was a three-night cruise is that someone lied on their health form and knowingly came aboard sick. And then it just went from there.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying the OP or those who got sick after are guilty of not informing. I'm saying that someone boarded the ship knowing they had had symptoms but lied about it on the health form you fill out. Thus infecting other people like the OP.

This is probably the issue with most cases. Quite frankly though, I can't imagine anyone who is traveling from out of state who will admit that they are ill with a cold or flu and potentially be turned away from their several thousand dollar vacation, even at the expense of many others. :sad2:

Can you message me. I am not sure how to message on profile. Thanks
You can't participate in conversations here (what PMs are called here) until you've got at least 10 posts on DISboards. That's receiving OR sending conversations.

Can you message me. I am not sure how to message on profile. Thanks

I did message you a couple of days ago. I think you may need to make more posts before using the messaging if I'm remembering correctly.

A main issue for me with the buffet is eating AFTER using all of the serving utensils that have been used by others with uncertain hand cleanliness. I may know I washed my hands, but I'm not certain of everyone else! :) I used to always use the wipes that they had by the drink stations in the buffet to wash up after getting my food and before eating (& also after touching the drink dispenser also), but they had removed these on my recent Wonder cruise. They had also removed the wipes at the outside drink station, but when I mentioned to the hotel officer that I missed them, they appeared back (at least for the rest of the cruise)! I also mentioned that I missed them inside the buffet, but they never returned there so I used my own that I carry with me.

Love the Disney cruises, but last one we went on my husband got violently ill the last day of our cruise.

THANK YOU!! He is starting to "join the living again" but is so upset he missed his vacation. "I didn't even see Mickey mom"! i feel so horrible! Regardless of the reason it happened to him, please stay healthy and wish nice trips to all!!
What ship was it that you got sick on?

Just as a side note we were on the 1/16- 1/20 cruise and my son caught a bug. We are the family who disinfects our rooms remotes and use the wipes passed out. We did go the the infirmary and stayed in the cabin in hopes not to spread. I hope nobody else is hit!
What cruise ship where you on? We were on the Dream and my husband got very ill. We too are a family that is always using wipes and sanitizing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter