Sign Language Character Names??

3mmm

Mouseketeer
In three weeks, we will be on the Disney Magic with my family:grouphug: , including DD7 who has Down syndrome and communicates mostly by sign language, although she can say princessprincess: . Does anyone know the signs for the characters, particularly the big 5 and the princesses???

Thank you

I have no idea what the answer is! But I am sure interested to know!

Thank you for asking this!

and I hope your daughter has a magical time!!!

I only know a sign for Ariel, use the sign for letter A and wave it down the side of head/hair. As if showing Ariels flowing hair.

Uh...

I just googled this..."sign language characters disney world" ... and, uh, THIS THREAD came up...:lmao:

It took me right back to myself!! :rotfl2: :rotfl:

We are now the experts on this :rotfl:...so we should definitely post an answer, if we can find one.

I found an article with two disney specific signs.

Walt Disney World manager Mark Jones curls his fingers on both hands, thumbs on the bottom, to form opposing "C" figures, places them on top of his head, and then smiles.

Donald Duck? Jones gave the sign for the letter D, then formed a beak with one hand, straight fingers on top, thumb on the bottom. He put the back of his hand to his lips, and then flapped his thumb.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2008-07-14-disney-sign-language_N.htm

Winnie the Pooh is signed W then P on the left shoulder with the right hand (arm across your body). Or at least, that's how DS's teachers at the School for the Deaf sign it.

I'd love to hear others.

I know American sign language is different to what we use in the UK, but I would say in general that it is the letter for the name, and then the word, for example, Mickey Mouse - sign 'M' and then 'mouse'. I guess you could do 'P' and 'Dog' for Pluto, but I don't know the sign for 'Goofy' :rotfl2:

Winnie the Pooh is signed W then P on the left shoulder with the right hand (arm across your body). Or at least, that's how DS's teachers at the School for the Deaf sign it.

I'd love to hear others.
Winnie the Pooh is signed with a "P" from mid chest to bottom of tummy. Indicates his fluffy tummy.

Belle BEAUTIFUL GIRL
Minnie Both hand "U" cross at top of head
Pluto "P" down from ears like his long ears.
Beast "bent 5" both hands in neutral space like a bear or monster and a scary face. Same for MONSTER

My son has Down Syndrome too. He actually came up with signs on his own of his favorite character: Spongebob, Wiggles, Elmo, and Barney when he was younger. If there are some you can't find, I suggest creating your own!

The signs I learned (being a teacher for the deaf) was that for Mickey, it's an M handshape, making a silhouette of the ears (with both hands). For Minnie, it's the same, but add a bow at the end. From my understanding, the princesses are "Princess" and you fingerspell the name. Sorry I can't help more, but I never really talked with my students about Disney characters!

Cinderella is "C" at the cheek where you normally sign girl.
Btw the signs I am giving you are those used by the Disney interpreters

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter