Silly question about bell services...

They did work for Bags, Inc, that may have changed. Same employer as the valets and RAC employees. Their parent company was Mears the DME people but I think that they merged with another company.

:earsboy: Bill
Valets are a 3rd party. Bellpersons who work inside and go to your room with luggage are actual Disney Castmembers.

Really? Not Disney employees, who are they then? I would have never ever thought that! So the only people I need to tip will be when deliver the bags to the room? Do you know if they have this at Art of Animation as well?
Art of Animation are 3rd party. Valets who load check ins and park your vehicle at deluxe resorts are 3rd party outsourced. Bellpersons who deliver your luggage and go to your room to deliver DME and assist at your room at check out, are Disney Castmembers.

Standard to use Bell Services? I wouldn't claim that. Many people do because they are willing to pay to not handle the luggage. But many people don't either - luggage has wheels! And I especially dislike Disney that won't hang with you while you check in and then take you up to the room. You give it to them then they store it then you have to call from the room to get it delivered. If we can handle our luggage ourselves, and we we almost always can, we just keep it with us and don't waste time with Bell Services.

But they'll help anyone that will pay them. :)
As will an Auto
Bell services is in it for the tips so yes they will deliver your luggage at all of the resorts. In their world they know which resorts have the highest tippers and they work to get transferred to those resorts. If you don't want to deal with bell services you can handle your bags yourself. HH, VB, CCV, and BRV are the only resorts where you can use the luggage carts to move your own luggage.

I used to feel that way, but really I see no reason not to let them do the heavy lifting, I just wish they would leave your luggage in your room even if you weren't there.
Yes. They do make tips to deliver luggage. Additionally, what's to say after luggage is just "left" in a room that a guest could say, "I'm missing something." Thus, Bell Services gets the blame. When they deliver to us in person, we can verify all items on the spot.

As will an Auto

Yes. They do make tips to deliver luggage. Additionally, what's to say after luggage is just "left" in a room that a guest could say, "I'm missing something." Thus, Bell Services gets the blame. When they deliver to us in person, we can verify all items on the spot.

Doesn't seem to be an issue with DME luggage deliveries.

Standard to use Bell Services? I wouldn't claim that. Many people do because they are willing to pay to not handle the luggage. But many people don't either - luggage has wheels! And I especially dislike Disney that won't hang with you while you check in and then take you up to the room. You give it to them then they store it then you have to call from the room to get it delivered. If we can handle our luggage ourselves, and we we almost always can, we just keep it with us and don't waste time with Bell Services.

But they'll help anyone that will pay them. :)
As will an Auto
Bell services is in it for the tips so yes they will deliver your luggage at all of the resorts. In their world they know which resorts have the highest tippers and they work to get transferred to those resorts. If you don't want to deal with bell services you can handle your bags yourself. HH, VB, CCV, and BRV are the only resorts where you can use the luggage carts to move your own luggage.

Most everywhere else it's the same group of people and they would pool the tips. IMO it's not my responsibility if Disney has done something different - and honestly we don't know what they do with bag handling tips.

Basically - it's tips so everyone can do as they wish. The industry norm is to tip when bags are delivered to your room.

They will take more if offered during other steps along the way though.
Valets who work outside are 3rd party do pool tips with each Valet. Bellpersons who work inside are ACTUAL Disney Cast. They DO NOT pool tips. When someone delivers your luggage at a deluxe resort and/or comes to your room at checkout, the money you give is theirs alone.

I like to move my own luggage. Our kids are old enough to wheel a suitcase now, so it's not really a hassle.
This is pretty easy at OKW, where you basically park right outside your room/building.

At AKV it mostly depends on how far away from an elevator you are. Last year we had a lot of stuff going back home and needed to play "tour van tetris" so I asked bell services to borrow a luggage cart so I could bring everything down to my van at once and pack at my convenience and they let me use the cart.

I like to move my own luggage. Our kids are old enough to wheel a suitcase now, so it's not really a hassle.
This is pretty easy at OKW, where you basically park right outside your room/building.

At AKV it mostly depends on how far away from an elevator you are. Last year we had a lot of stuff going back home and needed to play "tour van tetris" so I asked bell services to borrow a luggage cart so I could bring everything down to my van at once and pack at my convenience and they let me use the cart.
Just know it's not the norm to allow you to use a cart. Think this way. At a buffet, you can eat as much as you'd like. However, you can't go in the kitchen and cook the food yourself. Maybe not the best analogy. I pay enough to stay there and other hotels that it's worth it to throw someone a few bucks to handle it for me. Not an option at an Econolodge. Disney high end resorts are definitely not Econolodges.
Look at it like this. Say at your job you have a desk and computer. Someone comes in who doesn't work with you and asks you to take your chair and access your computer as they just wanna do it themselves. That's what taking a cart does to Bell Services. It's a complimentary service. You can tip or not. At least we should give them the option to earn their keep and try.

Last edited:
Just know it's not the norm to allow you to use a cart. Think this way. At a buffet, you can eat as much as you'd like. However, you can't go in the kitchen and cook the food yourself. Maybe not the best analogy. I pay enough to stay there and other hotels that it's worth it to throw someone a few bucks to handle it for me. Not an option at an Econolodge. Disney high end resorts are definitely not Econolodges.
Look at it like this. Say at your job you have a desk and computer. Someone comes in who doesn't work with you and asks you to take your chair and access your computer as they just wanna do it themselves. That's what taking a cart does to Bell Services. It's a complimentary service. You can tip or not. At least we should give them the option to earn their keep and try.
GFV does have two luggage carts available at the front desk for guests to use if you need one. You just have to ask and return it right after you are done using it.

GFV does have two luggage carts available at the front desk for guests to use if you need one. You just have to ask and return it right after you are done using it.
True. Not by choice of the Bellmen. though. That's their job. Again, it's a complimentary service. Their job to roll the dice and assist.

Art of Animation are 3rd party. Valets who load check ins and park your vehicle at deluxe resorts are 3rd party outsourced.
Why is this? Anyone know why they outsource these employees? Insurance?

It's cheaper for Disney. That's why any employer outsources employees.
Ok, I see that, so what other employees do they outsource? I wonder why and/how they choose which employees to outsource vs. keeping directly with them.

Ok, I see that, so what other employees do they outsource? I wonder why and/how they choose which employees to outsource vs. keeping directly with them.
Usually, they outsource the employees that they can get a contract for. Employers put out requests for contracts based on what they need. Usually they require the current employees are the first hired by the contractor. The more specialize the employee is, the less chance for outsources. They only need valet parking at Deluxe resorts so that limits the number they need. To resource housekeeping, that would be a huge contract affecting every resort.

True. Not by choice of the Bellmen. though. That's their job. Again, it's a complimentary service. Their job to roll the dice and assist.

And are you a Bellman at Disney resorts?

Not a person here has said that Bell Service is complimentary. We all know it's a tipped position.

We all know that using Bell Service is also not mandatory and it shouldn't be even implied that it is.

A PP mentioned DHHI. Not only CAN you get a luggage cart, you need to. There technically is no bell services at the Hilton Head Resort. Although you may get lucky-one time DH went golfing and left me to handle a scheduled room change. Fortunately the front desk helped me out.

It's cheaper for Disney. That's why any employer outsources employees.
It's different when Valet is outsourced in a premium resort. Inside Bell Services is different. When a hotel gets graded..i.e. Stars or Diamonds, they have to offer Bell Services. If not they can lose ratings. When that happens, they have to drop rates. Disney does not wanna drop rates. Universal also outsources Valet. Bellpersons are still Lowes........Universal.

And are you a Bellman at Disney resorts?

Not a person here has said that Bell Service is complimentary. We all know it's a tipped position.

We all know that using Bell Service is also not mandatory and it shouldn't be even implied that it is.
Bellperson services are complimentary. Tipping is the norm but definitely not mandatory for a guest. Same with a Server in a restaurant. A Bellpersons cart is his tools for work. I always use them when I have the need. I won't utilize their equipment, though without them. Respect for the trade is all.

Many non Americans are finding the tipping going out of control. Remember the Curb Your Enthusiasm where his thermostat was broken in his hotel and the person who came to repair it held his hand out for a tip? It’s not unrealistic is it!?
When I was at Boardwalk bell services took my stuff to my car. Then he stood there watching whilst I took the cases off the cart, and loaded the trunk up on my own, 8 cases. I was kind of surprised as I’d thought he muck in and help me load. I gave him $10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter