Simba's Cubhouse for ASD child

Kasmir

DIS Veteran
I have a question and please don't flame me...

Our DS will turn 13 three months before our scheduled trip to WDW in December. He is autistic, but is highly functioning and hyperlexic. Most people would not realize that he had a disability until they had spent time with him.

However, he is markedly developmentally delayed with the emotional maturity of an eight-year-old. We do not have behavior issues with him, other than those that develop because he is exhausted or is overwhelmed. He does understand appropriate behaviors.

He is in a daily therapeutic program -- where he receives occupational therapy, social skills therapy and psychological therapy -- and I believe that he will greatly enjoy the trip to WDW as long as we center our schedule around his needs and allow him down-time.

We recently vacationed in Chicago and he had a great time! We only had one melt-down, which was our fault for trying to schedule too much in a day.

Here is the reason for my rambling:
Our 17-year-old daughter is one wonderful kid! She is mature beyond her years and takes an integral part in helping out with our family business, caring for her brother's needs (including having an uncomplaining active role in his therapies), and is an honor student in a very challenging academic curriculum.

We would love to take her to dinner at Jiko's one evening (we are staying at the AKL) and present her with a very special gift to show her how very proud we are of the young lady that she's become. She has so very little time with my DH and I alone that we wanted to make sure that she received all of the attention that evening.

My question is this: Do you think that Simba's Cubhouse would make an exception and allow a 13-year-old to attend because of his maturity level? I'm not worried that he would be a problem for other children and I would send him with something that he could hyper-focus on. Not to mention the fact that we would be in the same building the whole time.

I don't feel totally comfortable contacting in-room babysitting because I'd like him in a public environment if I'm not familiar with the caregiver.

I hope that I'm not being selfish and if I didn't believe that he could handle it (and we would, of course, prepare him well), I wouldn't ask...

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance!
Sheila

You could ask before you get there and explain why. Don't know what they will say but the worst they can say is no you have to get an in room sitter.

If the Simba's cannot accomodate you, you might want to call the babysitting service that Disney contracts with and see what they say. I did call them once and ask if they provide someone to babysit my toddler who has type 1 diabetes and they said with advance notice they would send someone who is diabetic (type 2 though). She would know how to test and read the meter and treat a low. Giving insulin if he needed it is more tricky - I'd have to stay in the hotel so I could get back to him easily if needed.

I was wondering if you are staying at the AKL? Or perhaps have dinner at your hotel if that works for you? That way you'd be right there. I thought with advance notice they may have a sitter who is somewhat familiar with ASD or other special needs children. Can't hurt to ask if you are interested. I think the dinner sounds like a great idea!

If you had to do the babysitting you could ask the sitter to take him to dinner in a public area, to play games in a public area, or even the pool area, I think. They don't have to stay in the rooms, right?

Alicia

Ali, Duh! I hadn't thought of that. That's an excellent idea also!

Thanks, Selket, that's a great idea too! Yes, we're staying at the AKL and would be in the building the whole time, since our plan is only to go to dinner at Jiko's.

And MommytoMJ, I soooooooooo appreciate your sentiments!

Thank you so much, Everyone, for your support and ideas! I really appreciate it!

a :) to other's suggestions...and how wonderful it is that you and your DH are taking some special time for your DD:)

Have a wonderful evening!!:)

:sunny:

Ali said:
If you had to do the babysitting you could ask the sitter to take him to dinner in a public area, to play games in a public area, or even the pool area, I think. They don't have to stay in the rooms, right?

Alicia
That's what I was going to suggest too. Good idea.
I know that there have been kids with special needs who went to the Kid's Clubs. The parents called and explained their child's needs to the scheduling CM. I think the Kids' Clubs issue a beeper to the parents anyway so if there are any problems, they can page you right away.
I'm not sure if they can make an exception to the age or not - it might be a licensing thing; that they are licensed for a certain age range. And even if a child functions in a lower age range, they are not allowed to accept older kids. As others mentioned, it doesn't hurt to ask though.

Good luck and sending lots of pixie dust to help you honor your special DD.

Thank you, Sue and mbb! I am certainly going to explore all of these options!

And thank you for the kind words! We are very blessed...

I'm a little late on this thread, but just wanted to add that we spoke with Fairy Godmother's before our trip and explained our children's issues (two ASD toddler/preschoolers), and they on two separate nights they sent us a sitter with special needs experience (one was a former special ed teacher.) They were great, and DH and I spent a lovely anniversary evening at Victoria and Albert's ;).

We'll definitely use them again. I think it was here that someone originally gave me that advice. Oh, and Fairy Godmother's sitters will even take your child to different venues, including parks and pools. They just won't drive them.

MBW said:
We'll definitely use them again. I think it was here that someone originally gave me that advice. Oh, and Fairy Godmother's sitters will even take your child to different venues, including parks and pools. They just won't drive them.
i don't think anyone has posted real recently about using Fairy Godmother's, but I do remember seeing happy posts in the past about them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter