• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Since Bob Iger Hand Picked Bob Chapek, Will His Next Pick Be Any Better?

Probably none of us have ever met/talked with any of Disney's top people and certainly aren't part of any high level executive meetings to be able to assess the potential of someone to be the future CEO. I work for a large company and the public view/opinion of things is often totally unlike what it is actually like on the inside when you work there.

Did that do anything? I completely forgot it even existed. It was down the one time we tried to do it (my then 6 year old nephew was on that trip).
Probably the most popular attraction in all of DCA, based on typical wait times.

It didn't draw crowds but that's not what it was meant to do. I think many are missing the point. The common complaint at AK, DHS, and Epcot I'd there isn't enough to do and Genie+ runs out quickly at those parks. The reason for that is lack of attractions.
what you're essentially asking Disney to do is add attractions, good or bad to make Genie+ more worthwhile in certain parks. i just think that is a slippery slope they shouldn't venture down

what you're essentially asking Disney to do is add attractions, good or bad to make Genie+ more worthwhile in certain parks. i just think that is a slippery slope they shouldn't venture down
I'm not saying add for the sake of adding. Take Epcot. Every country should have an attraction. I would even dust off the original plans and put in some of them. For DHS they have some areas that empty, looking at you little mermaid. AK has the whole Dinoland just sitting there.

I am not saying add bad attractions more on the level of what Mary Poppins was going to be. A bunch of small well themed flat rides work. They don't take up much space and add much needed capacity.

Probably the most popular attraction in all of DCA, based on typical wait times.
This was about the Lightning McQueen Racing Academy at DHS, not anything in Cars Land/DCA. Though I would totally love it if WDW got RSR.

Probably none of us have ever met/talked with any of Disney's top people and certainly aren't part of any high level executive meetings to be able to assess the potential of someone to be the future CEO. I work for a large company and the public view/opinion of things is often totally unlike what it is actually like on the inside when you work there.
Agreed - CEOing is hard ... especially for a humongous multi-faceted consumer company with one of the most recognizable brands and legacy - subject to economic pressures, competition, and changing tastes to name a few ... You gamble and win or lose ... you play it safe for too long and your competition eats your lunch ... you focus too much on the bottom line and you lose consumer loyalty - etc. etc. etc.

While not a fan of Chapek:
"Ok Bob - here are the keys and you are the new CEO. Lets start you off with a bunch of debt, a questionable "streaming" / media approach, lagging parks strategy, and a pandemic (which will set you back at least a year or two in both your parks and media businesses profitability) - good luck on your next 6 months! (Oh and I'll take potshots from the sidelines while you flounder)."

Agreed - CEOing is hard ... especially for a humongous multi-faceted consumer company with one of the most recognizable brands and legacy - subject to economic pressures, competition, and changing tastes to name a few ... You gamble and win or lose ... you play it safe for too long and your competition eats your lunch ... you focus too much on the bottom line and you lose consumer loyalty - etc. etc. etc.

While not a fan of Chapek:
"Ok Bob - here are the keys and you are the new CEO. Lets start you off with a bunch of debt, a questionable "streaming" / media approach, lagging parks strategy, and a pandemic (which will set you back at least a year or two in both your parks and media businesses profitability) - good luck on your next 6 months! (Oh and I'll take potshots from the sidelines while you flounder)."
Every CEO has their own challenges. All we have are his actions to judge, he could have handled things differently/ less controversially and we could all be singing a different tune. He didn't, and I personally refuse to give executives a pass for failure especially at that level, he could have always turned down the job offer if it was out of his capability

Every CEO has their own challenges. All we have are his actions to judge, he could have handled things differently/ less controversially and we could all be singing a different tune. He didn't, and I personally refuse to give executives a pass for failure especially at that level, he could have always turned down the job offer if it was out of his capability
As I started in that section - I am no fan - but also recognize a ***t hand when I see it. He took the job and owns it as mentioned, but in the grand scheme for me at least - it didn't change my life one iota despite being at WDW 4 times last year. And as curiously as he arrived - he is gone - poof!

He was an unimpressive leader. Disney is not a company that can “cut its way to profit”…. That was a strategy that failed them time and time again. The true great Disney leaders - Disney, Eisner/Wells, and Iger understood how to GROW the company into prosperity. Chapek was trying to run this massive firm like a family household budget.

That said, yes, he was dealt a poor hand.

He was an unimpressive leader. Disney is not a company that can “cut its way to profit”…. That was a strategy that failed them time and time again. The true great Disney leaders - Disney, Eisner/Wells, and Iger understood how to GROW the company into prosperity. Chapek was trying to run this massive firm like a family household budget.

That said, yes, he was dealt a poor hand.
Eisner and wells were as well, and look what they were able to accomplish

Eisner and wells were as well, and look what they were able to accomplish
Yes! Eisner and Wells understood that the customer would GLADLY PAY MORE for a “Disney Difference”. They created a culture that increased profits and also increased costs. Sometimes they overshot (see Euro Disney), but generally they invested in making magic happen and things come alive!

Their tenure was not perfect, especially Eisner on his own in the later years made some questionable decisions (California Adventure comes to mind, the feud with Pixar, buying Fox Family, etc.) However, Chapek had made increasing profitability his entire purpose, and forgot that the customer needs to feel like they are getting VALUE, and if that is true they will GLADLY PAY MORE FOR THE DISNEY DIFFERENCE and SMILE about it too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter