Single Mom traveling with son with ASD

NemoMomof3

Earning My Ears
I have a trip planned in November with my son and daughter. My son is 13 and diagnosed with ASD. Large crowds, loud noises and lack of schedule are among his most common struggles. Initially my trip was planned with another family with children so if my son felt he could not ride a ride I felt like I had it covered. Today I learned my friends can no longer go. So I'll be going with just me and my son and daughter. My daughter has hit a bit of an adventurous stage and I don't want her to miss out on things I would otherwise have to avoid for him.

I know there is a pass (of sorts) for people with disabilities. I'm looking for options, should I just find him a comfortable spot outside said ride or could he stay with me in line and wait at the exit until my daughter and I finish the ride? Anyone have experience with a situation like this?

thank you

yes there is something called the DAS it allows the person with a Disability to wait out side the line and use the FP line ( you have to wait your turn just not in the lone.

when you first get to Disney go to guest relations and talk to them about your Childs needs and why he can not wait in line. the person that the DAS is for should ride the ride, so you can not use it for you an this sister if he dose not ride

every one at disney gets 3 FP so this can help too

One thing to note is that you cannot use the DAS for a ride that your son isn't going to ride, so it doesn't help in your scenario of rides that your daughter wants to go on but that your son needs to avoid. Many (most?) rides do have a "chicken exit", so your son can wait in line with you and your daughter and then go through that and meet you when you get off. If the lines have too much for him (crowds, noise, etc.), and you feel comfortable doing it, finding a spot for him to wait (perhaps the gift shop, for rides that empty into one).

One thing to note is that you cannot use the DAS for a ride that your son isn't going to ride, so it doesn't help in your scenario of rides that your daughter wants to go on but that your son needs to avoid. Many (most?) rides do have a "chicken exit", so your son can wait in line with you and your daughter and then go through that and meet you when you get off. If the lines have too much for him (crowds, noise, etc.), and you feel comfortable doing it, finding a spot for him to wait (perhaps the gift shop, for rides that empty into one).
all rides you can get out of if you do not want t ride. and you can wait by the exit for the rest of your group

It can be done, I'm assuming he is high functional ASD I suggest to fastpass the rides he won't be riding and use the DAS for all the ones he would. He can be in the line with you as long as he does have the fastpass and use the chicken exit and wait for you to exit, I will only do this scenario if you are confident he won't wander and can stay by himself for a few minutes

Thank you everyone. Yes he is high functioning ASD. I'm relieved to know that he has the option to use the "chicken out" route if needed. I think also talking with him about the situation prior to the trip might help me too. Letting him know he has options and letting him help me decide what he feels works best for him. I appreciate all the advice :thanks:

If it helps him, I'd have him look at maps of the parks and videos/reviews of the rides. It helps to have a general idea of what you're getting into, and know some places to go if you need to get away from all the people, noise, and sensory elements. It's pretty manageable with a plan. Arriving to parks early, only getting in really short lines, using the fastpass system, and bailing when you need to help a lot. Unfortunately no matter how much you plan the people and the parks throw curveballs, but it sounds like he has an awesome and understanding support system, and that helps a lot. :) Does he take photos? Play videogames? It helps to have a "focus" in the parks so the people don't overwhelm.

If it helps him, I'd have him look at maps of the parks and videos/reviews of the rides. It helps to have a general idea of what you're getting into, and know some places to go if you need to get away from all the people, noise, and sensory elements. It's pretty manageable with a plan. Arriving to parks early, only getting in really short lines, using the fastpass system, and bailing when you need to help a lot. Unfortunately no matter how much you plan the people and the parks throw curveballs, but it sounds like he has an awesome and understanding support system, and that helps a lot. :) Does he take photos? Play videogames? It helps to have a "focus" in the parks so the people don't overwhelm.

Yes he has a phone and takes pictures from time to time. Definitely loves video games. You are right, planning is key and knowing what your getting into certainly helps. I have been looking at the ride videos to see what they are like. I'll start showing them to him now to get an idea what he might be willing to try. You are right, no matter how much you plan there is usually a curveball. :)

I strongly suggest you break the day up into parts. I know my son is also a high functioning teenager also and he can only handle a half day (or less if the parks are very busy - then it is just not doable at all!) and then taking a break at the hotel for a couple of hours before going back for the night. I know all kids are very different but your description sounds just like my son and I've learned that its not only the noise and people, it is also that as time goes on and he gets tired, he gets set off much much easier.

I strongly suggest you break the day up into parts. I know my son is also a high functioning teenager also and he can only handle a half day (or less if the parks are very busy - then it is just not doable at all!) and then taking a break at the hotel for a couple of hours before going back for the night. I know all kids are very different but your description sounds just like my son and I've learned that its not only the noise and people, it is also that as time goes on and he gets tired, he gets set off much much easier.

Yes our son's sound very similar. I have never tried breaking up the day, might have been my issue in the past. Thanks for the suggestion

I would try a local park if you have one and see how he does on the rides there. Get him use to rides and waiting in lines and crowds.

Going to a zoo may help, too.

The average walking in a day at a Disney park is 6 miles. I would suggest breaking it up with rides and shows, not just rides. Taking a break in the afternoon is well worth it.

If you are staying onsite then use the early extra hour at the parks. You have to get up early, but you will get a lot more accomplished. If you qualify for DAS then use it for the rides you can do together. Use fastpass for the rides you don't think he will do. Make advance fastpass reservations; you'll have a better chance of getting those popular rides.

I would try a local park if you have one and see how he does on the rides there. Get him use to rides and waiting in lines and crowds.

Going to a zoo may help, too.

The average walking in a day at a Disney park is 6 miles. I would suggest breaking it up with rides and shows, not just rides. Taking a break in the afternoon is well worth it.

If you are staying onsite then use the early extra hour at the parks. You have to get up early, but you will get a lot more accomplished. If you qualify for DAS then use it for the rides you can do together. Use fastpass for the rides you don't think he will do. Make advance fastpass reservations; you'll have a better chance of getting those popular rides.

No local parks where I live, but he has been to Disney a few times before. It's not completely new to him. Like I said he really surprised me on our last trip and tried things with his sister I didn't think he would and he had a good time. I think everyone's suggestion to take breaks is good, I need to incorporate that into our day. Your suggestion about using the DAS and fastpass is good too. Thank you.

My DS has ASD too, and can't cope well with too many people all at once in very close proximity, BUT he loves the less terrifying rides and his very favourite thing is character meals (he's 10, will be 11 on our trip)

DAS helped us massively (he can cope with waiting, just not smushed in a queue line with loads of people for ages, with all the sensory issues that go with that)

But, in the before we are there phase, the thing I am trying this time is showing him you tube videos of rides, park maps, pictures of the restaurants and foods, of the hotel, everything, to help prepare him for what it is like, what the idea will be like, to see what he would like to choose for US to do. Giving him some ownership of planning has really helped him think about what really matters to him, and also to think about what will work for, his little sister and make her have a great trip too!

Maybe that might be something useful?

I am also headed to DW in November solo with my 2 girls. The youngest is 13 too, aspergers/high functioning. She can typically do a full day open to close in a park as long as I incorporate things like riding the train, people mover, Tom Sawyers island..places she can recharge.

This will be our first trip in several years and my first solo attempt. I've had her watching videos of the rides to determine which ones she definitely wants to do and which ones she's unsure about. Right now the only "iffy" is Pandora due to the restraint style seats and solo seating. ( sensory issues). I am hoping if she decides not to ride, she can wait in a safe area for us but if she's uncomfortable at all with that, my older dd and I will basically ride swap.

I'm definitely getting the DAS but we are hoping due to the lower typical crowds when we are going to use it more as a safety net. She, too, has problems with lines and noises etc. She is wanting to try to work on these issues on this trip.

If it was not for the disability card that Disney offers to Autistic children, I would have never gotten my daughter to ride any rides. It is such a blessing.

I just wanted to post an update to this thread as we had our trip in November and thank everyone for their suggestions. I tried a few things with my son to make sure he was comfortable during our trip. Mostly he chose to sit by himself while we rode rides he didn't want to go on. Broke my heart because it seemed like a lot more rides he didn't go on than did. But we had a great trip. Lots of memories. I was able to convince him he could wait in line with us and get off before we got on Space Mountain. He questioned me the entire time in the line to make sure I wasn't going to make him ride it, which I wasn't and the cast member was very sweet and showed him where he could wait for us. But he opted not to do that on any other ride. I think the stress of thinking he would be forced to ride was too much, it was much easier if he just didn't wait in line for him. It all worked out in the end and we all got to do things we enjoyed. Can't wait to go back. On to our next new adventure.......a Disney cruise. :scared: The lack of internet alone scares me. lol

Does he have noise cancelling headphones? My son has Aspergers and noise sensitivity and they have been lifesavers. We take them everywhere. If you can cruise concierge. I highly recommend it because then your son will have a place to decompress besides your cabin. We took advantage to the concierge lounge a lot to get away from the noise and crowds in the rest of the boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter