Single use points

DisMomKY

Mouseketeer
When we went on a dvc tour they told us you can purchase single use points up to 20 I think to use for one vacation. Is that something you can do if you buy resale? It won’t change our decision about buying resale, I was just curious.

At the 7 month mark, you are allowed to purchase up to 24 points to complete a reservation, per UY.

They can not be used during home resort booking period, but yes, they are available to all DVC members.

Yes resale can too. It is one per year, per membership. So if you own multiple memberships, either different owners on the deeds or different UY's, you can do it multiple times. There is no guarantee, it always has an "if available" clause. I am not sure how often they limit availability. Finally, it can only be done at 7 months, even if you are booking at your home resort.

Great thank you all!! I just thought there may be times where we need like 110 points instead of our 100 points for example

Great thank you all!! I just thought there may be times where we need like 110 points instead of our 100 points for example

That happens, But just remember, you can’t get them to book during your home resort time so they will not be of help until 7 months!

Yes. One Time Use Points can be useful at times.

I think the Main inconveniences with Single Use Points are:

* The Cost. (Certainly if you do this very often, it would be better to buy a small contract.)
* The fact that you have to contact Member Services and make the reservation through them.
* The fact that they can only be used in the 7 month window.
* If you cancel, you still have the points, but I do not know if they are listed in your membership for you to see them.

If you are trying to book right on the cusp of the 7 month window, unless they are in your account, you won't be able to use them later. You cannot ADD them on to an existing reservation. If you make a reservation and then call up member Services to buy the One time use Points, I am pretty sure they need to cancel your reservation and rebook it, to apply the points. This means that it might disappear and be taken onto somebody's waitlist.

I could think of one possible work around for this: Instead of buying the points to replace points you have already put on the reservation, maybe you could call up member services and ADD a day or two onto the end of your reservation, while purchasing One Time Use Points. Then, later, just go online and modify your reservation to drop the extra days. Would the one time use points stay on your reservation and be used, while 'normal' points were returned to your pool?

I have never 'managed' one time use points, because I never changed my initial reservation, but it might be nice if you could buy them in advance and then just apply them to your reservation when you make it. I don't know if they work that way.

It would be nice if someone with experience in this would kind of write a 'Primer' on the ins and outs of how to use them.

Yes. One Time Use Points can be useful at times.

I think the Main inconveniences with Single Use Points are:

* The Cost. (Certainly if you do this very often, it would be better to buy a small contract.)
* The fact that you have to contact Member Services and make the reservation through them.
* The fact that they can only be used in the 7 month window.
* If you cancel, you still have the points, but I do not know if they are listed in your membership for you to see them.

If you are trying to book right on the cusp of the 7 month window, unless they are in your account, you won't be able to use them later. You cannot ADD them on to an existing reservation. If you make a reservation and then call up member Services to buy the One time use Points, I am pretty sure they need to cancel your reservation and rebook it, to apply the points. This means that it might disappear and be taken onto somebody's waitlist.

I could think of one possible work around for this: Instead of buying the points to replace points you have already put on the reservation, maybe you could call up member services and ADD a day or two onto the end of your reservation, while purchasing One Time Use Points. Then, later, just go online and modify your reservation to drop the extra days. Would the one time use points stay on your reservation and be used, while 'normal' points were returned to your pool?

I have never 'managed' one time use points, because I never changed my initial reservation, but it might be nice if you could buy them in advance and then just apply them to your reservation when you make it. I don't know if they work that way.

It would be nice if someone with experience in this would kind of write a 'Primer' on the ins and outs of how to use them.

From reports of people adding on to reservations at 7 months with non resort points, it seems that one can extend from the start of the 7 month window from check in,

So, I don’t know if it will work the same way with OTU points, but people are not losing the part of their reservation that was booked during home resort when adding days at the end.

From reports of people adding on to reservations at 7 months with non resort points, it seems that one can extend from the start of the 7 month window from check in,

So, I don’t know if it will work the same way with OTU points, but people are not losing the part of their reservation that was booked during home resort when adding days at the end.
Thanks! We are starting with 100 points right now so it will probably just add on 60-75 more points at SSR (what will hopefully be our home resort soon waiting on ROFR now) in the future with the same use year.

If you buy resale then look for a contract that is loaded (extra year worth of points). What this will allow you to do is book your normal 100 point trips but when booking that 110 point trip take the 10 points from those extra points you got to start with.

Example:
March 2020 contract - 100 points w/ 100 points banked from 2019
In 2020 when booking your trip you use your 100 points from 2019
In 2021 when booking your 110 trip you use your 100 points from 2020 + 10 points from 2021
You now have 90 extra points left

Hopefully that makes sense. Also long term you can just borrow points and if you see you will be short in 2-3 years time you can start looking for a point transfer from another member to replenish that extra bank of points you have.

If you buy resale then look for a contract that is loaded (extra year worth of points). What this will allow you to do is book your normal 100 point trips but when booking that 110 point trip take the 10 points from those extra points you got to start with.

Example:
March 2020 contract - 100 points w/ 100 points banked from 2019
In 2020 when booking your trip you use your 100 points from 2019
In 2021 when booking your 110 trip you use your 100 points from 2020 + 10 points from 2021
You now have 90 extra points left

Hopefully that makes sense. Also long term you can just borrow points and if you see you will be short in 2-3 years time you can start looking for a point transfer from another member to replenish that extra bank of points you have.
We did this. The one we are waiting on has 100 banked 2019 points and 100 2020 points coming April 1. It also has 100 2018 points but those would have to be used by March 31 and we won’t close til 2/26 probably

The only way to purchase one time use points is to call MS when you are making the reservation when you need to use those points. You cannot buy them ahead of time and book the stay yourself.

The only way to purchase one time use points is to call MS when you are making the reservation when you need to use those points. You cannot buy them ahead of time and book the stay yourself.
And they never show in your view of your online account. If you cancel a reservation that uses them, the OTU points are returned to your account, but will not show online. You have to remember that you have them. They expire at the end of the use year in which the original reservation fell. You have to call MS to re-use them unless you have an existing reservation that could be modified to use them.

We did this. The one we are waiting on has 100 banked 2019 points and 100 2020 points coming April 1. It also has 100 2018 points but those would have to be used by March 31 and we won’t close til 2/26 probably

Tiny tiny chance you could get a renter. Post them for sale once you get access to close for cheap and get something out of them.

Tiny tiny chance you could get a renter. Post them for sale once you get access to close for cheap and get something out of them.

Problem might be availability more than short notice rental, but nothing to lose to try if the points will expire anyway.

Problem might be availability more than short notice rental, but nothing to lose to try if the points will expire anyway.

Ya sorry meant that availability would be hard to find but if you list it cheap enough you might get someone who lives close by that basically says "book anything".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!