• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sinus Problem and Flying

DJT

DIS Veteran
I have had severe sinus problems for over a week. I went to the doctor on Thursday and was given a prescription for an antibiotic and a powerful decongestant/expectorant tablet. I am flying to Orlando Tuesday night. My sinus problem is far, far from being cleared up. Two days isn't enough time to clear it up before I fly. Will flying like this give me even more problems? (I am a very nervous flyer anyway and will be flying express in a smaller plane (because of the airline downsizing), and that is making me a little more edgy than usual.) I plan to chew gum but I wondered if there is anything else I can do. Thanks for any suggestions.

What about a nasal spray? We were told to squirt our children by their ENT just to help prevent any discomfort. They use the mildest strength, but a call to your doctor of pharmacist will tell you which strength you could use. Best wishes

Hi DJT!! Don't worry about it, my wife has had the same problem, which seems to pop up every time we're about to fly. Our family doctor, told her to use "Afrin"(a brand of nasal spray), an hour before the plane takes off, and again in mid-air, about an hour before landing. She's done this on a couple of flights and has never had a problem. Hope this helps!!!

Originally posted by DJT
I have had severe sinus problems for over a week. I went to the doctor on Thursday and was given a prescription for an antibiotic and a powerful decongestant/expectorant tablet. I am flying to Orlando Tuesday night. My sinus problem is far, far from being cleared up. Two days isn't enough time to clear it up before I fly. Will flying like this give me even more problems? (I am a very nervous flyer anyway and will be flying express in a smaller plane (because of the airline downsizing), and that is making me a little more edgy than usual.) I plan to chew gum but I wondered if there is anything else I can do. Thanks for any suggestions.

This is a medical problem. You should talk to your doctor.

Anne

I've gotten more than my share of head colds and have been in this situation on many an ocasion. A call to your Doctor will really help to set your mind at ease and only he/she can offer advice tailored specifically for you and your current situation.

That said, here's the sum total of Doctors orders I've gotten over the years on the subject.

Keep taking the decongestant as often as prescribed and in the maximum dosage allowable. If you haven't already, start now drinking LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water. This is a big one. Goes hand in hand with the decongestant as all that water will thin out the fluids in your sinuses for easier drainage.

Bring a nasal spray decongestant in case you experience any dramatic discomfort. The advantage of the spray being that, in a pinch, it will take effect immediately. Ask your Doctor for more specific advice about this when you talk to him/her. If you have discomfort it will more likely be during descent than ascent.

Fianally, www.earplanes.com can be bought at any pharmacy for about $5 a pack. These things are brilliant. It's a small earplug filter that slows the presure change so your head can catch up. They're comfortable, not too silly looking, and most importantly, they really work.

Again though, if you haven't already asked your Doctor specifically whether he/she thought you should fly at all in your current condition you should do that first. Provided they feel it's safe for you to fly, then it just bcomes a comfort issue and they can give you the best advice for what will work for you personally.

I second the recommendation on earplanes, I do not fly without them, they are just great.

... and drink it during takeoff & landing; the swallowing will help equalize the pressure. If the worst happens, do the coffee cup/steam trick; tell the FA that you have ear pain and ask for cups w/ a little hot water and some paper napkins. They do this all the time, so they will know what you need. Put the napkins into the 1/2 inch or so of water at the bottom of the cups, to soak it up so the water doesn't drip, then put the cups over your ears. The steam will help to ease the pain.

I would only use nasal spray on your dr's recommendation, sometimes it can have an adverse effect in combination w/ other meds. If you have Rx guifenesin, that will go a long way toward keeping you pain-free. I find that if I need an actual OTC analgesic in these situations, the most effective to reduce inflammation is naproxen sodium (i.e., Aleve); but not everyone can take it, so again, check w/ your dr. about the situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter