Sister Wives

I don't get HBO, so I get Big Love on Netflix. So I'm a season behind! I just finished season 4 and I'll probably have to wait a year to get season 5 on DVD.

Me too. Drives me crazy that they release sooooooooo slowly. Grrrrrr.

My husband can't understand why any man would want to have to deal with more than one wife. Wonder what that says about me :rotfl2:

I find it sad that so many people are prejudice against these people. I know that in American society, there's always the lifestyle that everyone finds to be "normal". Just because this family isn't your version of "normal", it doesn't mean that they "have low self esteem" or are doing wrong.

I'm glad that they are out there, teaching people about their lifestyle. While I personally wouldn't chose it for myself, I am thankful that they are able to live the lifestyle themselves. I just hope that they don't get in too much trouble over it :sad2:

I agree with you Katesorad.

I find it sad that so many people are prejudice against these people. I know that in American society, there's always the lifestyle that everyone finds to be "normal". Just because this family isn't your version of "normal", it doesn't mean that they "have low self esteem" or are doing wrong.

I'm glad that they are out there, teaching people about their lifestyle. While I personally wouldn't chose it for myself, I am thankful that they are able to live the lifestyle themselves. I just hope that they don't get in too much trouble over it :sad2:

Agree, it is not like they are like "other" polygamist, who marry off their 13 yo daughters to dirty old men. Their children seem to be normal. A few of them have said this isn't the lifestyle they will chose to live as adults and the parents were ok with that. Madison had said in season 1, that she would only want 1 husband and just her. So it isn't like they are making their children be like this as adults.

People do this all the time, in that case its called cheating not polygamy.

I have a hard time beleiving that the ladies dont get jealous:confused3

THey do get jealous-they have talked about it on the show. But, that does not mean it is a bad arrangement. I am sure plenty of happily married "normal" couples deal with jealousy issues from time to time.

When Kody lets one of his wives bring home a hot new guy (or maybe two or three), the show may be interesting. Until then, it's ridiculous.

I AM SO WITH YOU! Seriously...Not that I care what they are doing but if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander. And they DO get jealous!! One was upset he helped pick out the new wifes wedding dress. The first wife is jealous she can't have more children etc.

I couldn't imagine living with those types of insecure feelings YUCKO!!!:confused3

Whether or not they are doing anything illegal I feel that this is just giving Kody(sp?) a free cheating on his wife pass. I find this lifestyle very sad. When my DD's get married i want them to be the most important person in their SO lives, not have to share that special time with others :confused3JMHO

I don't think anyone has mentioned on this thread(I didn't read the whole thing) about one of the teenage daughters looking pregnant.

I think it's sick. Years ago a bunch of dirty old men came up with the concept of having multiple wives and then convinced some gullible folk to go along with it saying it was their religion!

Their church has abolished it, it's illegal, what else do they need for proof that it's wrong?

I watched the snow a few times but that husband creeps me out too much!

Lisa

Whether or not they are doing anything illegal I feel that this is just giving Kody(sp?) a free cheating on his wife pass. I find this lifestyle very sad. When my DD's get married i want them to be the most important person in their SO lives, not have to share that special time with others :confused3JMHO

I don't think anyone has mentioned on this thread(I didn't read the whole thing) about one of the teenage daughters looking pregnant.

I don't think she looked pregnant, she just has an awkward body type. I watched part of the marathon last night and she looked the same in several episodes.

I agree with this. I am of the mind that consenting adults can do what they want as long as they aren't living off my dime or committing any sort of abuse.

I don't really get the idea of it breaking the law. It seems to me that a man (or woman) can run around on their spouse and sleep with any number of other people and it's not illegal (clearly immoral, to me), but when everyone is in agreement in the arrangement it's illegal. I've never understood that.

I agree. Or certain celebrities make no secret of having multiple live-in girlfriends and that's perfectly fine.

I just can't help but disagree. I believe they are hurting their children. I disagree with the whole thing vehemently, but if only adults were involved, that would be their choice. However, it isn't only adults - there are children being reared this way.

^^ This...

I am sorry but this statement of hurting the kids is a cop out and is over abused today. Same sex couples shouldn't adopt because it will hurt the kid, families shouldn't adopt babies of a different race because it is hurting the children, single parents are hurting their kids, working parents are hurting their kids, the list can go on and on.

What people really mean to say is "I don't agree with what you are doing so I am going to say you are hurting the children instead of admitting I am being judgemental."

I could never live this lifestyle in a million years, but if it works for them I have no problem with it.

I'm not sure that it hurts the children though. They have lots of people in their lives that love them and take care of them. They are not abused in any way, and more importantly, they are free to choose whatever life they want as adults. If I remember correctly from the first season, most of them attend a school with kids from the same lifestyle too. I guess when it comes down to it, they seem happy and well adjusted to me.

I could never live this lifestyle in a million years, but if it works for them I have no problem with it.

I'm not sure that it hurts the children though. They have lots of people in their lives that love them and take care of them. They are not abused in any way, and more importantly, they are free to choose whatever life they want as adults. If I remember correctly from the first season, most of them attend a school with kids from the same lifestyle too. I guess when it comes down to it, they seem happy and well adjusted to me.

I agree. In fact it seems like the kids actually benefit from it, having four mothers to love them and take care of them, and a houseful of brothers and sisters. And the husband has it made! It's the wives that I don't understand. (Not that I HAVE to understand - to each his own). I just wonder what's in it for them. I guess it could be nice to basically live with a bunch of girlfriends and share the chores and have free babysitting. But I just don't understand sharing a husband. What mostly bothers me is the double standard. The guy came right out and said that it made him sick to think of one of his wives being with another man. But they should be just fine with him doing it. I agree that it's just a wacky religious thing made up by men.

By the way, yesterday was the first time I ever saw the show too. I got caught up in that marathon and couldn't turn away!

It seems to me that they care less about Kody and more about having tons of female companionship and lots of little kids running around. Sharing a hubby is the sacrifice that they make in order to have that kind of super-big family. That is just the impression I get.

I love this show! If it works for them well, let them be. They aren't hurting me with their lifestyle. But I agree Kody is a lil creeper...But that doesn't keep me from watching.

Thats how I feel. Is that lifestyle for me? NO! I could never share my husband or live in a house with 3 other girls + their kids. But IDK, seems to work for them, their kids seem to get along, they are not in danger or being abused. And I think the husband is a lil creeeeeepy.

But on the flip side, sadly you hear of a lot of stories in which girls who enter this lifestyle get abused (sexually, physically, mentally, emotionally) by their husbands, are like 14 when they enter the marriage and the man is like 60. It was on the secret lives of women once (I think its on WE or Lifetime). It was sad. I think one of the girl's on the show was like 15 and had a daughter and had to escape with her daughter. It was like a complete brainwashing.

Can anyone explain why the kids are all going to public school now? I didn't get WHY.

The only "explanation" I heard was that Robyn's kids to go public school, and they wanted them all to be together. Except the oldest daughter wanted to stay at the private school.

Can anyone explain why the kids are all going to public school now? I didn't get WHY.

I missed last night's episode, but I remember the one daughter wanted to get into a really good college but the dad was saying there was no way she'd be able to with the polygamist school b/c its not even certified by the state or something like that.

Is it me or does Kody give off a not" complete there" or "other" vibe.He doesn't seem crazy, more stupid/unintelligent. I watched the interview before the premiere. I thought it telling that he told Meri that he would be disgusted if she were with another man. Answering my question: Where are the brother husbands? If it's not about sex then why can't these women have multiple husbands.
The idea of "DEALING" with feelings of jealous is crazy to me. They are upset because deep down they know what he is doing to them is wrong and the sadder part is that the are allowing it and allowing their daughters to see this lifestyle and think it's ok.

Who would WANT two husbands?? :scared1:

Seriously though...the "double standard" is because of their religion. I don't want to get into that too much (CB rules and all), but basically my thought is I don't think they should be prosecuted for it - like a PP said, a husband and have multiple mistresses on the side and no one calls the cops. However, I absolutely do not think their religion is correct. So in my book, illegal - no. Immoral - yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter