Site inspections at River Country?

It was a pretty pre litigous park, wasn't it.
Yes. Nostalgia really trumps reality. Those slides hurt. And the "speed slides" with the big drop were as apt to drop you on your back as feet first. The obstacle course stuff now would at least mandate life jackets if not safety harnesses. Our local waterparks makes you wear both and it's nowhere near as challenging as I remember River Country, but that could be an age thing as well. No, River Country was awesome, but at 25 or so, it was well past its prime. But man I loved going over there after a hot summer day at a park!

Yeah. There is a 0% chance they are building a water park

Agreed.

The use of lake water, which Florida law was making impractical if not illegal, was also a big problem.

That was the main reason it was shut down, IIRC. Several people got water-borne diseases that were serious enough that it just made more sense to shut it down.

Agreed.

That was the main reason it was shut down, IIRC. Several people got water-borne diseases that were serious enough that it just made more sense to shut it down.
http://www.yesterland.com/rivercountry.html
http://www.yesterland.com/rivercountry2.html

It’s not likely the main factor (which was the small capacity, liability from the slides, out of the way location and small attendance were the biggest ones) but it could’ve been a contributor. As these articles state one person died from the ameoba I believe in the mid 80s, yet the park operated for another decade or so

I have a dream. I dream of a small DVC expansion for Fort Wilderness. There are already numerous hotel, villa type resorts. Why not something unique here. Maybe some rustic pioneer cabins and some high end RV sites for us DVC members who want to bring our " covered wagons". I think for a very small investment Disney could build a very cool luxury old west theamed resort and it would sell out very quickly. Countless families have RVs or love cabins. Please, please, please Disney. To me, this area is so close the the Fort, and the Fort is so popular, that it makes a lot of sense.

Although its fun to speculate, this permit is not really a permit for anything at all. This is a requirement for conducting soil borings in wetlands, to account for "temporary" impacts to the wetlands to get boring rigs out to the various places that they want to do the soil borings. It in no way indicates any additional development is planned. Its just a CYA for doing soil borings in wetlands. Now, if you see a new mod application to the Master Permit submitted, then you can know that something is actually happening.

Although its fun to speculate, this permit is not really a permit for anything at all. This is a requirement for conducting soil borings in wetlands, to account for "temporary" impacts to the wetlands to get boring rigs out to the various places that they want to do the soil borings. It in no way indicates any additional development is planned. Its just a CYA for doing soil borings in wetlands. Now, if you see a new mod application to the Master Permit submitted, then you can know that something is actually happening.
We have seen an additional permit filed in relation to Project 87. This leads us to believe something is actually happening.

I remember back when Bay Lake was finished there was a rumor about a DVC going in the River Country location. This rumor wasn't from a bus driver it was actually from a DVC rep at the time during a tour. Now he could have been pulling my leg or mentioning something that was supposed to happen and was put on the back burner. Either way it seemed totally feasible. I am surprised it has taken this long due to the location and the "urban explorers" vlogging whats left of River Country.

I have a dream. I dream of a small DVC expansion for Fort Wilderness. There are already numerous hotel, villa type resorts. Why not something unique here. Maybe some rustic pioneer cabins and some high end RV sites for us DVC members who want to bring our " covered wagons". I think for a very small investment Disney could build a very cool luxury old west theamed resort and it would sell out very quickly. Countless families have RVs or love cabins. Please, please, please Disney. To me, this area is so close the the Fort, and the Fort is so popular, that it makes a lot of sense.

This would finally get us to buy DVC and leave the deluxes behind. During our time in Disney, we leave the trailer behind and enjoy the resorts BUT if this came to fruition, we would be all over it!!

Unlikely that Disney would ever do a RV DVC mostly because it wouldnt make them enough money to justify the land usage even if they made it sell for 300 a point or 400 a point, the fact that there is no way to make multiple sites occupy the same lot, aka not able to park RVS on top of each other literally like floors, means Disney wouldnt do this. I mean when was the last time disney even expanded the RV part of the campgrounds even though they have land to add more loops?

Unlikely that Disney would ever do a RV DVC mostly because it wouldnt make them enough money to justify the land usage even if they made it sell for 300 a point or 400 a point, the fact that there is no way to make multiple sites occupy the same lot, aka not able to park RVS on top of each other literally like floors, means Disney wouldnt do this. I mean when was the last time disney even expanded the RV part of the campgrounds even though they have land to add more loops?

I agree completely. There are plenty of reasons Disney will most likely not make another campground or expand Fort Wilderness. But to answer your question, Fort Wilderness was essentially doubled in size in 1985 and finished in 1986 with 7 additional loops and over 300 more sites. Recently one cabin loop was replaced with rv sites, most likely to adjust to the relative demand between cabins and rvs. I could see one more cabin loop being converted, and it is possible an expansion could happen, though I find it unlikely, but I can't imagine another campground will ever be opened. The revenue and profit potential of a campground is far below that of a hotel.

. I could see one more cabin loop being converted, and it is possible an expansion could happen, though I find it unlikely, but I can't imagine another campground will ever be opened. The revenue and profit potential of a campground is far below that of a hotel.

The only reason I feel that Disney even has a campground is because it was one of the things Walt and early promotional materials specifically discussed during the initial planning of WDW

The only reason I feel that Disney even has a campground is because it was one of the things Walt and early promotional materials specifically discussed during the initial planning of WDW
Well, yes. Fort Wilderness was, almost, an opening day resort. I think it wasn't ready for a few more months, but it was close. Walt definitely wanted it. Even surveyed the area himself. The RV lifestyle was a big thing in the 70s and it's gotten bigger today in many ways.

However, the reason Fort Wilderness is still there is because it has almost always been jammed and it makes money easily. With the exception of the second oil embargo in the late 70s, Fort Wilderness has rarely needed any help filling the spots. However, having a resort where people can bring their own food, avoid the restaurants, pack 10 to a spot, and stay and not go to the parks... it really isn't anywhere near the revenue generator, per guest, that the hotels are. So for future investment? Campgrounds probably aren't, and shouldn't be, in Disney plans. But as a sunk cost, already built resort? It makes more than enough money and is beloved by so many people that getting rid of it would be a mistake.

Oh I agree the campground is now firmly entrenched in the WDW lore. I know of a few people who have sent a couple weeks or even a month at Disney at the campgrounds. It is part of what makes WDW for them. So i agree its not going anywhere to soon.

But Back to DVC at River Country, I would love if they did a sand bottom pool lazy river type of thing like they do at the Beach Club/ Yacht Club, would be a nice "throw back" to the old water park and make it sell even quicker. Disney could call it a nice plus and charge a bit more for points on the sale as well as the public rack rate bookings

You guys that say a campground expansion is not going to happen because of the bean counters are probably right. It is logical that they make more money with a hotel type resort. On the other hand, it depends on what kind of beans the bean counters are counting. Copper Creak has cabins. An RV site takes up about the same space as a cabin. Disney World is 42 square miles and there is plenty of room to build many more hotels. Having an RV and cabin DVC resort in this location would not restrict the development of traditional resorts at all. Fort Wilderness is a very special place. It can not be described, it must be experienced to understand it. For thousands of people Fort Wildeness is what makes Disney World so special that they keep returning year after year. Disney could decide to expand on this and it is a perfect fit in this location. Disney is all about making a quick buck these days by selling DVC. The RV and cabin resort could be built very quickly. Small investment, quick return on that investment, some bean counters would have to love this. Now if a decision maker is an RV guy, it could happen. Just keep building the hotel type resorts someplace else. This old River Country location is the perfect place for my dream. I do want to comment about Fort Wildeness folks spending money. Most campsites are occupied by 2 to 6 people, not the max allowable 10. Most of the Fort is now classified as premium sites and cost between $120 and $200 per night. Not cheap. If we do save a few bucks we just spend more on things like Hoop Dee Doo Review dinner show at the Fort and Happily Ever After Dessert Party at MK and Dinner at the California Grilljust a short boat ride away.

I remember back when Bay Lake was finished there was a rumor about a DVC going in the River Country location. This rumor wasn't from a bus driver it was actually from a DVC rep at the time during a tour. Now he could have been pulling my leg or mentioning something that was supposed to happen and was put on the back burner. Either way it seemed totally feasible. I am surprised it has taken this long due to the location and the "urban explorers" vlogging whats left of River Country.
Yes, in 2011 there were plans for this resort. You can find them online--probably a link in this thread actually. The resort looked nice and the pool looked better than average and included a 'beach.' I hope Project 87 is similar.
But Back to DVC at River Country, I would love if they did a sand bottom pool lazy river type of thing like they do at the Beach Club/ Yacht Club, would be a nice "throw back" to the old water park and make it sell even quicker. Disney could call it a nice plus and charge a bit more for points on the sale as well as the public rack rate bookings
One original plan for Poly DVC showed a lazy river while others showed a larger complex with less details. We all know they eventually scaled it back. I think the rooms were the right call, versus one or two 5 story T-shaped building(s), but I wish they put in a bigger pool complex. A really nice pool complex would be a nice selling point for this resort. IMO most Monorail loop resort pools are rather boring (for kids) though we do like the Beach Pool at VGF and the Oasis pool at Poly.
dvcconcept.jpg

You guys that say a campground expansion is not going to happen because of the bean counters are probably right. It is logical that they make more money with a hotel type resort. On the other hand, it depends on what kind of beans the bean counters are counting. Copper Creak has cabins. An RV site takes up about the same space as a cabin. Disney World is 42 square miles and there is plenty of room to build many more hotels. Having an RV and cabin DVC resort in this location would not restrict the development of traditional resorts at all. Fort Wilderness is a very special place. It can not be described, it must be experienced to understand it. For thousands of people Fort Wildeness is what makes Disney World so special that they keep returning year after year. Disney could decide to expand on this and it is a perfect fit in this location. Disney is all about making a quick buck these days by selling DVC. The RV and cabin resort could be built very quickly. Small investment, quick return on that investment, some bean counters would have to love this. Now if a decision maker is an RV guy, it could happen. Just keep building the hotel type resorts someplace else. This old River Country location is the perfect place for my dream. I do want to comment about Fort Wildeness folks spending money. Most campsites are occupied by 2 to 6 people, not the max allowable 10. Most of the Fort is now classified as premium sites and cost between $120 and $200 per night. Not cheap. If we do save a few bucks we just spend more on things like Hoop Dee Doo Review dinner show at the Fort and Happily Ever After Dessert Party at MK and Dinner at the California Grilljust a short boat ride away.

It's not a matter whether an expansion of the campground, or an RV DVC, would make money. It would. The demand at Fort Wilderness is off the charts for the RV spots. It's a question of profitability. WDW has a finite amount of money to invest. Let's say the option is to invest $1MM. For that $1MM you could either build an RV DVC or a hotel DVC. When all expected revenue is accounted for, that means expectations for increased park ticket sales, restaurant revenue, gift shop revenue, etc. versus all expected expenses which includes construction, upkeep, employees, etc., the RV park is going to return some multiple less than the hotel. So given the limited budget, you owe it to the owners of the company, the shareholders, to invest that $1MM not just in what will make money, but will make the MOST money. So if a campground has a profit margin of 30%, all factors included, and a hotel has a profit margin of 50%, both are good investments, but the hotel is the one you must choose as a good manager.

There are ways Disney could solve some of this discrepancy. I'm always amazed they let people stay for months on end at Fort Wilderness. It's a horrible business model because those people aren't as likely to buy tickets, food, and souvenirs as a family that comes in for a week. Same with phantom bookings because while you get the site revenue, you miss out on other revenue if that site wasn't ghost booked. Namely you'd have another family on site going to the parks and buying some food and souvenirs, and you'd still have the revenue from the offsite guest. So the very first thing I'd do, if I was in charge of Fort Wilderness, is set it up like a state park. You can stay a maximum of 10-14 days in any month. If WDW would let me, I'd tie stays to park tickets. For example, you must have one park entry ticket for every registered guest for every 3 days you stay at Fort Wilderness. Obviously annual pass holders already qualify, but everyone else would have to have linked tickets. I'd do like other campgrounds do and charge for guests over 5 at any one site. Maybe an additional $10 per person per night. If you started to make these changes you'd see the profitability, per person, at the campground go up and it might, might, make sense to expand it or add amenities.

I love Fort Wilderness, it's already insanely expensive as a campground, but as a way to stay onsite at Disney it's generally a bargain. So long as that remains true, it is unlikely to see any kind of significant investment and that's a shame, because it really is in serious demand, beloved by the users, and yet at the same time, far behind in things like a decent sized pool.

I agree with jknezek, but there is also one other thing you have to remember about any land improvement at any property at Disney. It increases taxes. Disney is always fighting to get there hotels and properties, assessed at the lowest value possible, so they dont have to pay. That is one of the reasons why DVC is preferred by Disney. It allows them to burden the "DVC Owners" with the tax liability.

But its got me wondering if depending on the Florida laws, which I am not that familiar with, Disney might still be paying a increased tax amount on River Country, even if it is abandoned, due to the fact that it still has electric and other infrastructure run to the site. If they are, I wonder how its appropriated, Is it paid as part of the Fort wilderness property tax or is it its own separate valued piece of land. Regardless though of ifs its attached in Fort Wilderness assessments or assessed separate, I am sure that if it is assessed at a higher value then non developed parts of property then Disney would be highly more likely to turn it into a DVC resort so they can pass those taxes on to the new "owners" once they sell it out

Someone mentioned a Mackinac Island themed DVC...I would love, love, love that. Did I mention I'd love that ;) Mackinac Island is my favorite vacation place when it isn't snowing. WDW is my favorite winter vacation place (although next time we are going in June due to school schedules) . If I could merge those two, that would be awesome! However, I may consider buying DVC in this location irregardless, as long as it is good themeing that allows you to step away from the hubbub of the parks.

Oh I agree the campground is now firmly entrenched in the WDW lore. I know of a few people who have sent a couple weeks or even a month at Disney at the campgrounds. It is part of what makes WDW for them. So i agree its not going anywhere to soon.

I agree, and if anyone here ever goes on the camp ground boards, it is an extremely loyal and knowledgeable group who really knows their stuff. i.e. the pros and cons of each individual spot!

I agree, and if anyone here ever goes on the camp ground boards, it is an extremely loyal and knowledgeable group who really knows their stuff. i.e. the pros and cons of each individual spot!
Yes. There are some fanatically loyal facebook groups and even one group that created an app detailing each individual campsite with photos. Fort Wilderness has a cult following that I don't think is matched by any other resort, though several have strong patron groups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter