• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Six Flags New Jersey and Safari

luvflorida

DIS Veteran
We are going to visit Great Adventure Six Flags New Jersey this weekend. I am not a big fan of amusement park rides but I love animals and I'm excited about the ride through Safari. I've never been to this particular park and was just wondering if anyone here has ever experienced the Great Safari. Did you see a lot of animals and did they come close to your car? I'm hoping to get some good photos!

yes and yes.

the drive through safari is relatively short, but you do see a lot of animals. and yes, they'll stand in the road and block your way, or come up to your car and try to get inside if they think you have food. part of the trip is through an area where you are specifically instructed to keep your windows closed, and for good reason.

Don't do the safari if you have a vinyl top on your car - the baboons will destroy it!

Funny, I always found the safari to be longer than expected. Just when you think its over..BAM you turn the corner and there are more animals.

My favorite animals were the giraffes, they came right up to the car. Unfortunately, they took awhile to get away.

DONT FEED THE BABOOONS! They are fully able to destroy the outside of a car.

Personally, I'm not a fan of it. I'm a roller coaster junkie, so the highlight for me was seeing Medusa from the Wild Safari :) (muster up some courage, ride Superman Ultimate Flight, I did it 12 times already this year, its the closest flying sensation you'll ever get!)

and be prepared to have your windshield wipers fixed. The baboons ripped them off my friend's brand new car last summer.

We LOVE it!!! We will drive to the safari without ever going to the amusement park.

It is fun but do be careful.........the baboons bent the side view mirror on our car so badly that it couldn't be properly refastened and had to be replaced. Made it a much more expensive trip than we expected :rolleyes:

We have season passes for Great Adventure. We like the safari! Plan on spending at least an hour driving through the safari.

As for pictures, you will get amazing ones.. there was a giraffe that bent down and started licking our car!

The baboons do get a little crazy, but when we drove through we just saw them sitting on the tops of cars and that was it.

We just did the safari about 2 weeks ago. It was a chilly day about 2:00pm. All the animals were out. The most I have ever seen. There were also alot of idiots with their windows open and even saw a driver out of their car(until rangers ejected them). We never enter the baboon section though. We always take the baboon bypass rode which lets you view from the fence while driving. I've seen them destroy vehicles and we do not wish to experience baboons urinating on our windshield! Thats just me!LOL!

It's pretty cool!

Don't be surprised to see dads with the minivan side door open, taking pictures. People can be idiots.

The key to the baboon section is don't stop your car!! Don't worry about driving too fast & having them fall off. They're agile. If you let them sit too long on your car, they'll rip stuff off, like your windshield washer nozzles. Or make little baboons, like a pair did on our trunk last year. :rolleyes:

We saw them do major damage to a Toyota Land Cruiser. It had those grilles over the head & tail lights and we were giggling about them - did they think it was a real jungle? We figured they never went off roading anyway! Well, the baboons ripped all of them off!

Wow! Thanks for all the info! I can't wait to visit the Safari, it really sounds like a lot of fun. I'm debating whether or not to tell my husband about the 'cute' baboons, tho. If I do, I know he'll want to bypass them, but I don't want to. Then again, if I don't tell him and they do damage to his car, I'll feel guilty. Notice I said "his" car. My car will be safe and sound at home!:D

try it when a thunderstorm is moving in! A herd ran at my car and was jumping over the hood. Many animals made last minute turns to avoid my car. I escaped with no collision. the experience was unreal!

I haven't been to Great Adventure in a while. I like amusement parks and safaris. I remember a giraffe sticking his tongue in my window trying to get whatever it was I was eating. Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter