Size restrictions on Universal rides - annoying!

Well, no wonder they always put me in the back row. Sucks since it's not a very good view sometimes during the ride. I was planning on asking for first row next time and waiting for the next vehicle, but I guess that's a no can do.

I'm still puzzled as to why it would be so difficult for me to go on that ride, but yet on others I either can go on like a breeze, or with no problem am able to get into the modified seats. They seem to lack consistency when making these rides.

IMO it's a kindness and time saver that they tend to do it automatically to avoid any 'hurt' feelings.

Do wonder with the growing (no pun intended) population's size they skewed design to smaller frames...both height & weight.:confused3

I'm short, my feet frequently don't touch the floor on the ride car (as with many kids) but I don't hesitate to brace my legs anyway possible. Glad they have those lower, front leg brace things on many rides. Helps to feel more secure.

No specific sticky but I have the Quick Access sticky which has some info in it for riders

If it is not in that sticky, I'll try to create another link to help others with size questions

In the meantime use the search button as it has been discussed in a few threads this year
That would be the quickest way for you to find the needed info
Thank you MacRaven! You can ignore my recent post about this. I will search. I know DH weight but I doubt he'd let me measure his belly :)

IMO it's a kindness and time saver that they tend to do it automatically to avoid any 'hurt' feelings.

Do wonder with the growing (no pun intended) population's size they skewed design to smaller frames...both height & weight.:confused3

I'm short, my feet frequently don't touch the floor on the ride car (as with many kids) but I don't hesitate to brace my legs anyway possible. Glad they have those lower, front leg brace things on many rides. Helps to feel more secure.

On Forbidden Journey it's a little more obvious, at least to me, as they are very specific with their instruction on where to sit. One woman as to went so far as to go after me when I was half way to where the sorting hat was and asked me loudly on if I'd ever gone on the ride. I said yes. To which she asked when was the last time I have. I said it was last week. And she goes, "So, you know where to sit?" I almost rolled my eyes, but I didn't and simply nodded. One man simply asked me if I knew where I was to sit and I replied on either side. I definitely preferred that method. I personally could careless, but I could imagine others possibly having their feelings hurt. If anything I found it amusing how the woman needed to chase me down in order to get her point across.

Yesterday, I went to Universal spur of the moment (which a lot of times it is) and decided to go on Gringotts once more. I went through single rider. At the top when it was finally my turn, I noticed her abruptly suddenly telling me to go to the 6th row, which wasn't the row of the other guests. I found that funny. Anywho, this time the person who was making sure everyone was safely secured barely had to touch my seat to make sure it was locked. So, I was definitely more comfortable this time around.

We're going to Universal/IOA for one or two days on our upcoming trip to Orlando. The last time I was there I wasn't able to ride Forbidden Journey, which I had expected, but figured I would give it a shot anyways. Although I've lost 60+ pounds since then I still probably won't try to ride it. That being said, I am hopeful that I'll be able to do Gringotts and Hulk. I know I'm fine on Mummy, Spidey, Jurassic Park, etc. So there will be plenty for me to do. But Gringotts is sort of the holy grail as a big Potter fan, and I'll admit that it's frustrating not knowing if it will work because the reports I've seen from such a wide variety of people are so inconclusive. It's giving me some anxiety, admittedly. I know to try for the back row and I will give the test seats a run. I do have a large middle section but my legs/hips aren't that huge. So I guess we shall see! I'll report back with my findings and hope I get to ride it as I've been wanting to go on a Gringotts ride ever since I read that scene in the 7th book. And if it doesn't work I suppose it will be just further motivation to lose even more weight.

My husband could not go on Forbidden Journey but was able to go on Gringotts. We arrive in October and we would love to go on Forbidden Journey but we know that is likely not going to happen.

I'll be visiting Universal in October with my wife and 7-year-old daughter in October. We're hoping to do Forbidden Journey and Gringott's, but not the Dragon coaster. Beyond Harry Potter, hoping to do most of the park besides the big roller coasters and anything my daughter isn't tall enough for.

I'm 6'1", 275. What am I most likely to have problems with?

I'll be visiting Universal in October with my wife and 7-year-old daughter in October. We're hoping to do Forbidden Journey and Gringott's, but not the Dragon coaster. Beyond Harry Potter, hoping to do most of the park besides the big roller coasters and anything my daughter isn't tall enough for.

Depends where you carry your weight

IMO it's the upper body that can often cause issues, even in women of average weight but with large bosom and men with an pronounced athletic build and broad shoulders.

That said, height shouldn't be an issue for you, try the testers first.

FJ would likely be the only possible issue.

With your height weight combo I personally doubt you'll have issues. If you have extremely broad shoulders FJ could be difficult but as long as you aren't also dealing with a very large belly you should be able to squeeze.

DH is shorter and heavier with broad shoulders big belly and sumo thighs. Its just impossible. If he had a few extra inches of height it would be easier.

I am a very fluffy lady who rides an ecv scooter for major health reasons. Can anyone tell me about Kong seating, is it restrictive in size at all? I know they have accessible seating in the back of the vehicles so I have heard. Do they allow ECVs in the line to get on the vehicles or must you transfer to a wheelchair. Hope it is size friendly as I really would like to try this one, cannot ride any of the Harry Potter rides due to my size...grrrr...no flaming please, I am on a lot of medications that cause weight gain.

I am a very fluffy lady who rides an ecv scooter for major health reasons. Can anyone tell me about Kong seating, is it restrictive in size at all? I know they have accessible seating in the back of the vehicles so I have heard. Do they allow ECVs in the line to get on the vehicles or must you transfer to a wheelchair. Hope it is size friendly as I really would like to try this one, cannot ride any of the Harry Potter rides due to my size...grrrr...no flaming please, I am on a lot of medications that cause weight gain.

It's bench seating.

No one on this thread will flame you.

I'll let others answer the scooter/transfer question.

Can you ride Hippogriff? If you haven't tried and you're interested, try it. It's a big lap bar (at UO, at least...at USH it's individual bars like on Gringott's and the Mummy, which is rotten IMO) and my hubby can ride it despite not being able to ride any of the big rides (plus Gringott's and Mummy).

I just got back from a day at Universal and IoA and am happy to report that I was able to ride everything I wanted to. For Gringotts the test seat was rough but I got it to go green, but I asked for the last row and it was no problem at all! I rode it three times and loved it.

I also did Hulk and Dragon Challenge in the modified seating and had no problem with that either. Mummy, Kong, Spidey, Jurassic, etc. were all fine. Forbidden Journey was a no go, but that was expected.

As someone who would essentially skip Universal on my past trips, I have to say I had a great time today. My 60+ pounds of weight loss paid off and I hope to keep losing so I can tackle Forbidden Journey in the future.

I'm thrilled you got to do all the rides!!

You have done a fantastic job on losing a lot of weight

Your next trip I know you will be doing FJ

I just got back from a day at Universal and IoA and am happy to report that I was able to ride everything I wanted to. For Gringotts the test seat was rough but I got it to go green, but I asked for the last row and it was no problem at all! I rode it three times and loved it.

I also did Hulk and Dragon Challenge in the modified seating and had no problem with that either. Mummy, Kong, Spidey, Jurassic, etc. were all fine. Forbidden Journey was a no go, but that was expected.

As someone who would essentially skip Universal on my past trips, I have to say I had a great time today. My 60+ pounds of weight loss paid off and I hope to keep losing so I can tackle Forbidden Journey in the future.
Sounds great.

My adult son is concerned. He weighs 270 and is 5'8. He a also trying to lose weight. He is heaviest in the belly but it is sort of spread out.
What are his chances?

Sounds great.

My adult son is concerned. He weighs 270 and is 5'8. He a also trying to lose weight. He is heaviest in the belly but it is sort of spread out.
What are his chances?
I have one son at 260 5' 11" and he was able to do all the rides
His weight is carried in his gut

But we did use modified seats on some rides

Did last row on the mummy

Sounds great.

What are his chances?

I would think fairly good, but it's hard to say because ultimately it's about where the weight is carried. I weigh more than your son but am quite a bit taller.

Just remember that the coasters have modified seats (the ones with two seat belts) and the back row of Gringotts is more forgiving even though it's not officially posted as modified seating.

The best advice I can give to your son is just to relax and have fun. I got so worked up in the week(s) leading to my trip and and ultimately what happens happens. Good luck to him on his weight loss!

Sounds great.

What are his chances?

I think the only thing that will probably be an issue will be Forbidden Journey and Rockin Rollercoaster thing. I believe last time I went last month I was 6' and 282-290 lbs and was able to do Gingotts and the Mummy. Years ago I did HRRR at roughly 250 and I even found that tight. Considering the ride seats are gigantic the restraint system isn't very forgiving imo. I've never attempted FJ because of all I've read about it. Someday maybe I'll get around to being able to do it.

I didn't ride Hulk last month because it was right after it opened back up and lines are long but I did fit in the test seat for modified seating.

I made it on the Mummy sorta kinda barely but as a tip I would suggest that if he wears cargo pants to put your phone or whatever else your carrying in your bottom pocket. If not maybe put them in a locker because it'll probably hurt a bit.

Spiderman, Popeyes, Jurassic Park, Kong, Cat in the Hat, Storm force, Poseidon's fury, ET, Men in Black, Shrek, Simpsons, Terminator, Transformers...shouldn't be concerned at all. For the others have him test the seat out front beforehand.

I'm a fairly big guy and wondered what the comments about the last row on Mummy and Gringotts mean? Are the seats bigger?

Supposedly provides more leg room.

I'm a fairly big guy and wondered what the comments about the last row on Mummy and Gringotts mean? Are the seats bigger?

The cars are sort of "stadium seating," so there's more leg room and a bit more space between where your back goes and where the lap bar comes down from. If one has a gut it allows for a bit more room to close the bar safely as per their specifications and in general it's just more comfortable for a bigger individual. The other rows basically push your knees closer to your body so there's less room to fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter