Size restrictions on Universal rides - annoying!

I've uploaded these pictures before. On my last trip January 2015, I fit on everything. I'm 6'4" and was about 310. And as you can see from the first picture I'm proportionally big everywhere. On Forbidden Journey, it was a real struggle and a couple of time I didn't get situated in time and had to take the walk of same and try again. I eventually had a nice TM who spent some time and we figured out how to get it to lock quickly. The FJ pick show the maximum safe riding position. ROTM and Gringotts I sat in the back row most of the time. But I did fit in row 3 one evening when the ride was a walk on and they had me sit there.

54829440.jpg 1222333_54867858.jpg 54839556.jpg 54838476.jpg

After riding the Mummy multiple times, I realized that in the front row (which we usually request) my feet touch the floor but in the back row, I can't put my feet completely flat on the floor. I'm only 5' 3 so I feel more comfortable in the first row.

So I haven't been in a long time. I weigh 250 and am 50" in bust, waist, and stomach. What are my chances for Forbidden Journey and the Gringotts ride?

The poster whose picture and post is above could ride, chances are you can too

I'm hoping someone who is my measurements can tell me if you successfully rode the harry potter rides at universal. I am going to universal Hollywood with a friend's family in may and am terrified of not fitting.

I'm 5'5 209. 47 inch chest, 42 inch wsist, 46 inch hips. I'm between a14-18 (depending on the brand).

Thanks

I'm hoping someone who is my measurements can tell me if you successfully rode the harry potter rides at universal. I am going to universal Hollywood with a friend's family in may and am terrified of not fitting.

I'm 5'5 209. 47 inch chest, 42 inch wsist, 46 inch hips. I'm between a14-18 (depending on the brand).

Thanks

Hi! I'm not sure about the exact measurements but I can say I was an 18W-20W when I went and I was able to ride HP! I will say that for some of the coaster rides I'd have to wait for specific seats for larger people...a little embarrassing!

Hi! I'm not sure about the exact measurements but I can say I was an 18W-20W when I went and I was able to ride HP! I will say that for some of the coaster rides I'd have to wait for specific seats for larger people...a little embarrassing!
Thank you!

I am 5'9", 250 pounds, wear a women's 20, and a 46G bra size. I carry my weight in my chest and stomach. As embarrassing as those stats are to report, I wanted to share them b/c I had absolutely no trouble riding anything at Universal. I used modified seating when available and needed the attendants help to click down 1 extra time on Forbidden Journey, but nothing was a problem at all. I wanted to share that b/c I spent a good amount of time pre-trip worried about whether I would be able to ride anything at Universal and I was so happy that it was not a problem.

One more reason to love these boards...folks willing to share very personal info to help others prepare and perhaps avoid embarrassment. I searched the boards for the "ride fit" issue as I have gained a substantial amount of weight since my last HP visit in 2011. I feel so much better now.

Thanks to you all super awesome folks! :thanks:

One more reason to love these boards...folks willing to share very personal info to help others prepare and perhaps avoid embarrassment. I searched the boards for the "ride fit" issue as I have gained a substantial amount of weight since my last HP visit in 2011. I feel so much better now.

Thanks to you all super awesome folks! :thanks:

I hope you get to ride everything you wish to when you go.........:)

Oh no, this is the first time I've heard of Dudley Do Right being a tight squeeze. I'm quite a bit bigger than you (taller and almost double the weight) so am thinking now that I'll have to give this ride a miss.

Up until now I'd only been worried about not fitting in FJ (the big coasters are too scary for me anyway). Now I can add Dudley Do Right to that list.

Could someone please tell me all the Universal Orlando rides that a plus size person should be wary of. I'd rather know now than be disappointed on the day. I'm hoping that the Simpsons, Despicable Me, Spiderman and Men in Black Rides are all okay as these are the ones I think my family will enjoy the most.

I don't find the Dudley ride particularly snug. My problem with Dudley is that there is an obstruction above your legs that prevents you from bending your knees (if you're taller or bigger) while you're sitting in the ride. I can lock my knees straight when getting in and my knees will just clear it as my butt drops into the seat. However when getting out, because I can't bend my knees, I have no leverage to push myself back out. Ideally, there'd be a pull-up bar over the seat at the exit so I could pull myself up and out while keeping my legs straight - same position as getting in, but using my arms to provide the reverse force that gravity provided when getting in. Since that isn't practical, I have to slightly bend my knees (as much as it allows), plant my heels and push back against the seat and slide up an inch or so. Then repeat this little inchworm motion with my knees until I've worked up the seat back enough that my knees clear the obstruction and I can get my feet under myself to stand up.

I never realized you could be too large to ride at Universal!! I am not concerned about myself, but my Dad is Hagrid sized and now I am worried he won't be able to ride on Gringotts or Forbidden Journey. I don't want to have to break it to him that even though we are spending a huge amount of money to fly and stay in Orlando he might miss out on rides. Thank goodness we are doing a couple days in Disney :worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried:

If Thunder Mountain at MK is a squeeze for him I am thinking he should be worried about FJ and Gringotts?

FJ is tighter than Gringotts........

There are test seats outside the rides, it’s always worth trying first. Some people report not getting a green light outside but getting to ride anyway.........so maybe worthwhile trying inside too with FJ.

There’s always a chance he may not fit, so worth warning him he may not be able to ride.

I never realized you could be too large to ride at Universal!! I am not concerned about myself, but my Dad is Hagrid sized and now I am worried he won't be able to ride on Gringotts or Forbidden Journey. I don't want to have to break it to him that even though we are spending a huge amount of money to fly and stay in Orlando he might miss out on rides. Thank goodness we are doing a couple days in Disney :worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried:

If Thunder Mountain at MK is a squeeze for him I am thinking he should be worried about FJ and Gringotts?
Did you read johde post at the top of this page?

If your dad is that same size of that poster, he should fit the rides

I've read through the thread and I think I'm maybe bigger than most posters at 360 pounds - I carry most of my weight round my belly.

We've got tickets for US in Hollywood and I'm just wondering which rides should I not even attempt to go on? I realise that Harry Potter is a big no-no. Can I still walk through the Harry Potter World then leave my girlfriend before she gets on the ride? Do most of the "riskier" rides for plus size people have test seats?

What rides will be safe?

Yes, thank you johde for posting your awesome pics! I am hoping Dad will be able to go on anything he wants to. I'm giving him a heads up and a link to this page. Even without being a little heavier now he always had trouble getting into compact cars, etc... because of his height.

SO Frustrating that I was focusing on if my youngest was going to be big enough to ride. Never even thought about if another family member would be too big!

I wonder how many poor people don't even have a heads up and get turned away at the ride test seat after they have been looking forward to their vacations for months? :sad2:

Can I still walk through the Harry Potter World then leave my girlfriend before she gets on the ride? Do most of the "riskier" rides for plus size people have test seats?

What rides will be safe?

Yes, anyone can exit the line without riding any ride...the castle (Forbidden Journey) especially is worth walking through. I've not been to the Hollywood park, so I'm not sure of the rides there. Hopefully someone else has been and can hop in for you :)
I hope you have a delightful trip!

Yes, anyone can exit the line without riding any ride...the castle (Forbidden Journey) especially is worth walking through. I've not been to the Hollywood park, so I'm not sure of the rides there. Hopefully someone else has been and can hop in for you :)
I hope you have a delightful trip!

Thanks for the reply. How much of the Harry Potter world can you see without queuing up? Can you walk through the shops etc?

Are the single rider queues much faster? Just wondering if my girlfriend has to go on herself, will I be waiting a while? Thanks again.

You can explore everywhere except the castle (FJ queue) without being in a queue - the whole area is all shops, dining, atmosphere, etc. The 2 rides are a pretty small part of the actual space. There are also shows in the HP areas.

The single rider queues are typically very fast. We waited about 10-15min for Gringotts once with single rider, but typically it was under 5min for both. Gringotts more often had a wait for single rider compared to FJ, I found.

Like CAPSLOCK said, a TON of the HP areas are open for exploration w/out queuing.
They are whole areas. The Forbidden Journey ride (inside the castle) and the Hippogryph (kiddie coaster outside) are in Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure.
Gringott's is in the Studios park.
If you have park-to -park tickets, you can ride the Hogwarts Express between the parks (gentle train ride, anyone can ride)...and you should ride it in both directions at some point, as the story is different each way.
Besides those, there is one HP-themed restaurant in each park, several drink carts, many shops, and the theming on the outsides of the buildings is amazing as well.
If you are an HP fan, you might want to consider buying an interactive wand (roughly $50) and do some of the spells outside the shops while waiting ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!