Skagway excursions

khsu

Earning My Ears
We will soon be able to book port adventures for our August 15 Alaska cruise. I am still undecided on excursions for Skagway. Would love to hear any thoughts of the DCL excursions vs. third-party. My daughter (7) would love to do something with the sled dogs, but it seems pricey.

Thanks in advance, Karen

We booked the private sled dog camp excursion for this June. It was much cheaper than booking through Disney.

We used Chilkoot Tours in Skagway. We trained up and bussed down. We opted for the extra lunch and sled dog cart ride. My girls (17 and 19) could have hung out with the puppies for days....but, we had a boat to catch.

The White Pass Railroad is great. I still sometimes reminisce about stepping out on the train platform and being hit with the overwhelming pine scent from all the surrounding trees. The sites you see are quite beautiful.

We booked through Alaska Excursions and did the sled dog and musher's camp with our kids (13, 11 and 6) and had a great time. They loved seeing the puppies and the scenery was beautiful. We'd do it again if given the opportunity.

The White Pass Railroad is great. I still sometimes reminisce about stepping out on the train platform and being hit with the overwhelming pine scent from all the surrounding trees. The sites you see are quite beautiful.

This was an awesome excursion. We booked it with Chilkoot Tours and did the train up, got picked up by the shuttle and went to Carcross and sled dogs and lunch and Emerald Lake. Wonderful day. Got back in plenty of time to take a tour of the Red Onion Saloon in town.

This was an awesome excursion. We booked it with Chilkoot Tours and did the train up, got picked up by the shuttle and went to Carcross and sled dogs and lunch and Emerald Lake. Wonderful day. Got back in plenty of time to take a tour of the Red Onion Saloon in town.
We are signed up to do exact same thing. How long from start to finish? TIA!

Are you looking for the helicopter ride and then the musher on the glacier? We are doing that and booked thru M&M for much less than DCL. We leave in 16 days for ours. I am not sure but I think DCL you pay up front and M&M we pay them when we get there.

We paid the extra $$ and did the helicopter and sled dogs. I went with my 70+ mother and my hubby and kids aged 2-10. It was seriously the BEST excursion we have ever done.

We feel that this is one of those once in a life time chances so that's why we are doing the helicopter ride and dog musher experience.

We are signed up to do exact same thing. How long from start to finish? TIA!

Honestly, I don't remember -- we made a lot of sightseeing stops and felt very fulfilled at the end. But we got back to Skagway before 4 p.m. because we had time to visit some stores in town and take the Red Onion tour, which I think ends at 5 p.m.

We booked through Alaska Excursions and did the sled dog and musher's camp with our kids (13, 11 and 6) and had a great time. They loved seeing the puppies and the scenery was beautiful. We'd do it again if given the opportunity.

My 9 year old and I did this and really loved it - especially the puppies. The dog sled is on a dirt road but still memorable. We were able to also book a 2nd excursion - Ziplining - through the same company (at the same base camp). We absolutely LOVED the ziplining and would highly recommend. Since we booked 2 through them, we saved $50 per person. The ride up is really pretty also. Have fun!

2 years ago we took a private tour guided by Howard Mallory from "Alcan excursions". Howard picked us up at the port, showed us around Skagway and drove us out to Emerald Lake in the Yukon Territory. We got a head start on the buses and had a great time. We made several stops and Howard is very familar with the area. His price was very reasonable for a 6-7 hour driving tour. His website seems to be down, so I don't know if he is still active. However, I'm sure there are other Skagway residents that provide similar tours.

MUN

Another vote for the train/bus with dog cart ride with Chilkoot. :thumbsup2 DH really wanted to ride the train, myself and DDs wanted a dog sled ride so this excursion made everyone happy and we all had a great time. So glad we did this because on our cruise last year we booked a real sled ride by helicopter which was cancelled due to bad weather, next day at Juneau same thing happened. At least we've done our dog cart ride and I'll just have to go back to Alaska again to do the real thing on snow!

Another vote for the train/bus with dog cart ride with Chilkoot. :thumbsup2 DH really wanted to ride the train, myself and DDs wanted a dog sled ride so this excursion made everyone happy and we all had a great time. So glad we did this because on our cruise last year we booked a real sled ride by helicopter which was cancelled due to bad weather, next day at Juneau same thing happened. At least we've done our dog cart ride and I'll just have to go back to Alaska again to do the real thing on snow!
So glad to hear this! Our plan is the same thing and DD is a dog FANATIC! I'm holding off on telling her about Juneau excursion until the last minute because if it is cancelled, she will be crushed. But if it is cancelled with months of build up, then the world will come to an end!! LOL

Skagway has so many different variations of air and rail tours, I remember spending hours last year trying to figure out all the options.

I'll share our experience. Hope it helps.

We finally settled on two excursions for this port:
1. a private rail tour thru Chilkoot Charters
2. a helicopter dogsled ride thru DCL

I Highly recommend both!!!

We started our day pre-booked with Chilkoot Charters on the White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Tour.
https://chilkootcharters.com/package/white-pass-summit-rail-and-bus/

this is their 3.5 hr excursion you can reserve and pay in advance. We chose the 7:30AM & 12:00PM – “TRAIN FIRST, BUS RETURN” without lunch or a stop at the musher's camp. I've read a lot of Dis'ers choose Chilkoot with the dog camp, which uses wheeled carts on dirt roads, but we really wanted to dogsled in the snow.

Skagway is such a small town the cruise ships dock right at the end of the street making it easy to come and go from the ship. Perfect for anyone considering dual excursions.

Here are some photos to get you in the mood. It's Day 4 - Thurs. 5/28/15:

We were among the first to walk off the ship at 7:10am. the line was practically non-existent leaving that early.

7:30AM was the earliest time I could find for a chartered 1/2 day rail excursion which was the main reason for booking with Chilkoot. Everything else either took longer or began later.

In Skagway, even though trains are sitting at the pier, this charter will board a different rail waiting at the end of town. Their driver will pick you up via shuttle right at the dock and collect you again at the train depot in Fraser, BC for a scenic tour with a few stops on the way back to town.

Note: You will need a passport on this 1-way journey since you depart the train in Canada.

More photos from our day:

That's our white shuttle bus on the far right ready and waiting as we walked off the ship.

Leaving town, Skagway was a bit overcast and quiet with temps in the 40's.

But by the time we returned at noon, it was beautiful and sunny in the mid 80's.
So plan to wear layers.

Another bonus was that Chilkoot provided the last car of the train for their guests with a larger viewing platform off the back.

We arrived first, and watched a dozen tour busses roll in.

Sit on the left facing front (right side in this photo) for optimal sights if you take the train up and ride the bus back.

The seats flip the opposite way for the train ride back.

We shared our ride with guests who booked some of the other chilkoot tours.

There's a heater and bathroom in every car.
Facilities are also available at the depot in Fraser.

Pack your own snacks since no food is sold, and bring cash to buy souvenirs when they walk by. This set was $20.00 and they only came thru once.

You will LOVE the last car. great viewing platform off the back compared to the mid section cars.

the back was much larger vs viewing from the front of our rail car or mid section of the other cars.

this really is a spectacular train ride to the Summit

note: make sure you locate your bus/driver in Fraser. It's a little confusing to see these shuttle busses all lined up that look alike.

we weren't allowed photos at the Fraser train depot because we had officially entered British Columbia and had to clear customs

In Fraser, we were instructed to have our passports ready, put away all cameras ,and remain in our train car until it was cleared by a Canadian customs officer. One by one, an officer walked through the cars, finally getting to us and gave the all clear. (It was more like a spot check - he didn't collect anything from us.

here we are back in town by noon which was perfect.

This gave us over 3 hrs. to enjoy a fresh delicious lunch at a local spot and really take our time shopping. This was our first port, and our first time in AK, so we wanted to experience as much of Skagway as we could and take in all the sites while seeking out authentic Made in Alaska items.

(note: we even made the post office to ship our Ulu knife to the states. We knew they would confiscate it on the ship and return it at the end of the cruise but we didn't want to deal with shipping it from Vancouver or risk theft in our checked bags during the flight home. Skagway is an easy AK port to do this from since you can conveniently walk to it right in town)

at 3:30pm we returned to the ship for our 2nd excursion:
the helicopter/dog sled adventure thru Disney.

We had 5 in our chopper plus the driver. Me, DS, DH and a mother with her 9 yr old son in the front.
It was a trip of a lifetime for all of us. we were all communicating as a group thru our headsets. Loved all the questions the 9 yr old asked! His mother said she really saved to make this happen for them.
It's by far the most expensive excursion we've had but worth every penny.

It was fantastic. I answered questions and posted pictures about it in these two links.
Hope it helps

Part I: http://www.disboards.com/threads/anyone-back-from-alaska-yet.3414870/page-3#post-53820112
Part II: http://www.disboards.com/threads/anyone-back-from-alaska-yet.3414870/page-5#post-53829461

We have cruised Alaska four summers in a row with Disney, and Skagway is my VERY FAVORITE STOP.

You should absolutely explore on your own, without a tour group. Don't do an excursion from the ship. Rent a Green Jeep from Alaska Green Jeeps http://www.alaskagreenjeeptours.com/. They provide a narrated tour CD and a custom made book with maps that detail exactly where and how to drive yourself up White Pass and to Carcross and beyond if you'd like. It is SPECTACULARLY AMAZING and being able to stop on your own and spend time as you wish is ideal. You can flip through the book and pick what things excite you and it will not only tell you how to get there but will narrate for you along the way if you want!

You can visit all these places with just one jeep rental:

Carcross (tiny adorable alaskan town with an amazing tiny bakery), and a nice little place to stop for lunch.

Caribou Crossing is right near there, and is a collection of great things to do. Here your daughter can take a summer sled dog ride with Huskies, and play with, hold & pet several Husky Puppies. You can see the summer sled dog camp where they train for the Iditarod. There is also an awesome animal museum, yukon museum, gold panning and more at this stop. It is VERY REASONABLE pricing, and cheap compared to the ship. http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/activities.html My now 6 & 9 year olds have loved and looked forward to this stop every year.

the Yukon Suspension Bridge (http://yukonsuspensionbridge.com/) is a great stop. We saw bears several times here from a safe distance away. They have raised walkways from which you can roam to their original Alaskan camp, and lots of history and storytelling here as well.

You can drive past carcross and all the way to emerald lake, but it makes for a very long day in the car.

There are multiple areas along the way to these places to stop and pull over with waterfalls and amazing rivers/ponds, etc. It's just right there along the side of the road! Crazy amazing and beautiful. You can explore Skagway the town as well on foot or with the jeep. It's really such an easy stop to do by yourself. :)

Thanks Ivy!! We go June 2017 and the Chilkoot Whitepass Train/bus is on my list!! I appreciate your pics!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter