Skip AK with young kids?

FWIW, it is the one park we are omitting on our upcoming trip, and for the initial reasons listed. We've had a really good time there in the past, but had to cut one with only three days available.

I feel like this is going to be duplicative of many of the other posts, but: AK was my son's favorite park on our trips when he was 2 and 5. There's a lot to see other than the small number of more thrilling rides you mentioned. I would skip AK if my kid didn't like animals (not that I have met a kid who doesn't), but otherwise, it's very small child friendly.

We went over thanksgiving with my 18 month old daughter and she loved AK. She enjoyed the walking trails and the safari. She really enjoyed watching the gorillas. Shockingly, she sat through festival of the lion king and was engaged. She enjoyed exploring Pandora as well. Honestly, I think it is one of the better parks for kids. We went for 7 days and we went to AK twice.

Sounds like we're in the minority, but we'd skip AK. My kids are older now, but it was and still is my girls' least favorite park. I realize AK is so much more than a zoo, but we were local zoo members at the time of their earliest Disney trips and spending a day seeing animals didn't really appeal to them like the other parks. We got to a point where we'd only visit AK if we hopped, since even with everything that's been added, we still have a hard time making a full day of it and really enjoying. In the current system, where there is no hopping, we opted to put it on our departure day since we don't plan a full day there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter