Skip the character dining and meal plans

Momtoapug

Earning My Ears
hello!
I wish someone had told me to pass on the character dining. All I heard was " you have to do character dining!" From everyone I knew. So we booked several. No big deal- we were able to cancel them all....
You might say, what?! Why would you cancel them?
Just sharing our experience....we decided to book a 1 BR villa at grand Floridian. That's not "budget", right? Well, it kind of is...we economize in other ways.
--We said no to the meal plan. We have a full kitchen in our villa. We went to grocery store and spent $120 on groceries for the week.
--we do only one park a day. It's really not a big deal, we just plan around it
--we but Disney merchandise ahead of time on Amazon and etsy (princess gowns, t shirts, etc.)
This allows us to buy the random hot dog or bubble wand etc. without stressing over it
So why no character dining? Because it is expensive!!! And, at least for us, we really didn't enjoy it. We went to one- at grand Floridian, dinner. It was outrageously priced and the one character we hoped for and were told would be there, didn't show up :(. Lady tremaine. We had already seen and got (free) one on one time with Cinderella and he Prince during their dance at the grand Floridian lobby...and we also saw Cinderella at her castle....so a third timing seeing her for over $100 was just crazy....
It was also loud, crowded, a long long wait outside of our fast pass reservation time (not fun with a 4 year old) and then another long wait for the characters to make their rounds....maybe other experiences with dining are better but I say save your money for things like the Princess Tea and other one on one experiences.
Just my two cents! We are so glad we don't have to rely on dining anywhere at Disney with or without a meal plan it is outrageously priced! I wish someone had told me :). Best wishes as you plan---

1 bedroom villa is (roughly) 750$ a night (5200$ a week) vs 176$ a night (1200$ a week) for CBR. Even with dining, park tickets and xmas party for 5, we come in over a thousand dollars cheaper than a room only at GFV. Everyone enjoys a different vacation, but even cutting out dining plan, park hoppers and souvenirs it is not even comparable. (7 nights, dining, park tickets, park hoppers and xmas party for 5 for 7 nights in a moderate (CBR) came to 4023$ for us.) Plus, we waste zero park time waiting in a line to meet a character which means more rides!!!

Ouch, our room for 2 at AS music is $87 a night! We are really cheap!!! More money for the food and wine for us!

We took the kids to character meals when they were young and it was a nice way to see the characters without the crowds. My kids are older and when we took them to all the character meals, they weren't as crowded as they are now.

I am sorry they were so crowded, but I am glad you were able to see the Cinderella without the crowd.

Disney offers so many different meal types so there is something for everyone.

I hear you. Why would anyone want to spend that amount of money only to have a kid eat maybe 3 chicken nuggets and possibly be terrified of the characters. If you want to see a character then go to a meet and greet.

You'll get multiple characters, eat and then won't have to bother with the meet and greet that potentially takes up a valuable fast pass and offers one or two characters. Granted I don't think character meal overload is worth it, but we'd much rather do a couple throughout our trip and then hit the attractions.

Just curious. Where did you take that photo of Drizella in your avatar? I have always thought the only place to meet her is at Grand Floridian Cafe. Is there another, more affordable way?
We saw Drizella and Anastasia doing a meet and greet behind the castle last week. Lady Tremaine was not with them. If you're facing the back of the castle, turn toward the right and head to the pathway that runs around the side of the castle toward the Frontierland bridge.

hello!
I wish someone had told me to pass on the character dining. All I heard was " you have to do character dining!" From everyone I knew. So we booked several. No big deal- we were able to cancel them all....
You might say, what?! Why would you cancel them?
Just sharing our experience....we decided to book a 1 BR villa at grand Floridian. That's not "budget", right? Well, it kind of is...we economize in other ways.
--We said no to the meal plan. We have a full kitchen in our villa. We went to grocery store and spent $120 on groceries for the week.
--we do only one park a day. It's really not a big deal, we just plan around it
--we but Disney merchandise ahead of time on Amazon and etsy (princess gowns, t shirts, etc.)
This allows us to buy the random hot dog or bubble wand etc. without stressing over it
So why no character dining? Because it is expensive!!! And, at least for us, we really didn't enjoy it. We went to one- at grand Floridian, dinner. It was outrageously priced and the one character we hoped for and were told would be there, didn't show up :(. Lady tremaine. We had already seen and got (free) one on one time with Cinderella and he Prince during their dance at the grand Floridian lobby...and we also saw Cinderella at her castle....so a third timing seeing her for over $100 was just crazy....
It was also loud, crowded, a long long wait outside of our fast pass reservation time (not fun with a 4 year old) and then another long wait for the characters to make their rounds....maybe other experiences with dining are better but I say save your money for things like the Princess Tea and other one on one experiences.
Just my two cents! We are so glad we don't have to rely on dining anywhere at Disney with or without a meal plan it is outrageously priced! I wish someone had told me :). Best wishes as you plan---
OP, I understand how you feel about the character dining. As a meal, it is not a good value but for those who like character interaction, then it is a good use of time and money. We stopped doing character meet and greets a long time ago because the kids outgrew them. But on this last trip, I could imagine myself resurrecting that practice with a grandchild in the not-too-distant future (my sister just welcomed her first grandchild to the world last month). Different strokes for different folks. And what does not appeal to you during one phase of your life may be something you want during another.

Im glad you found what works for you. When our kids were little, character meals were soooooo worth the cost. We did not like standing in line, and later using FP to see characters so we simply booked meals where they were and told the boys that we had already had, or would be having our turn with them soon. We of course did a few meets for things like the Toy Story guys, but few and far between. Our boys also really liked buffets and it gave me a better shot of getting some fresh fruit and raw veggies into them so it was a win for us. Boys are now almost 10 and 24 and our next trip will have no character meals. Now they like signature dinning!! Think the Character meals were not such a bag deal after all!!!!!

This (like many other things on site/off site - rental car/bus transportation - hoppers/no hoppers) is definitely a to each their own kind of thing. My children and I would much rather sit at a table, in air conditioning, and enjoy a meal while waiting for our beloved characters than stand in the hot sun in a long line that they may just cut you off when the character needs a break. There are benefits to both options and I am soo glad both methods are available and we can do what works best for us!

Eh, that's an entirely personal opinion.

We love the character meals. Yes, they're expensive and my ASD kid doesn't each much, but she loves meeting characters so it works for us. I'd rather meet 4 characters in an hour, while eating in the air conditioning then stand outside waiting in lines for them. Two birds one stone for us.

We are DVC members and usually do a 1 bedroom also, but we never cook. Honestly, cooking on vacation is my nightmare. I'm not interested. I don't even like doing granola bars or pop tarts and stuff for breakfast. That's just not a vacation for me. I could understand all this if you're working with a budget, but I just don't go to Disney to scrimp on this stuff. The food, buying stuff, restaurants, etc is all what makes the vacation for me.

On our first few trips to Disney we did all the character meals we are interested in, some even more than once (on different trips). But now that the kids are older and we've experienced those type meals they actually request to do more signature dining. I'm sure once out baby is a bit older we will probably revisit some of those character meals.
But either way, cooking on vacation for me is not happening. I cook every day at home and vacation means vacation for me too.

Just finished a 13ish day trip (Aug 25-Sep 7) which included 2 days in Charleson and 10 days of Orlando plus travel, and for a family of 6 (who sometimes fed extras), we spent $1300 for the week total. And we ate what we wanted, when we wanted in our offsite condo. I also spent large on groceries ($370, which included food, alcohol, and condo needs and I did 1 main trip and a smaller follow up later in the week on a rainy day) and let my family lead the way on food. If I'd have done character meals at the Disney hotels, with 4 Dis adults and 2 kids (and sometimes 5 with my mom), I'd have probably spent that amount in 3 meals...here's how we did it...

2 fast food lunches on drive down (before Charleston and before Orlando) $60
Homewood Suites breakfasts/dinners in Charleston Free
BBQ Lunch and Water Ice in Charleston $60
Dinner at Sis's House Friday Night Free
Groceries in Orlando $370 (included 12 pack of beer, a cheap bourbon 750, and a huge Kalhua mudslide bottle - handled our alcohol needs well all week, except for some Chocolate Emporium and Deep Blu splurges - also splurged on beautiful lunch meat - proscuitto, thick cut bacon, pepper turkey - and rolls and gorgeous fresh fruit)
3 days of BOGO 1/2 price Universal Counter Service Meal Deals (4 adults/2 kids) $280 (used 3rd day's worth over our 3 1/2 days there) - hit Springfield and Harry Potter restaurants for main meals - the Springfield Fish and Chips (or Basket of Bait) and the Chicken Platters are awesome, as are the HP ribs and ice cream:)
Outta Control Magic and Dinner Show at Wonderworks $96 (Groupon Deal) + $12 Tip = $108
Chocolate Emporium for 2 - Dinner and Drinks = $60ish dollars (tax/tip included)
Deep Blu (2 Magical Dining Month Meals and Shared Wine Pairing) = $86 + tax/tip = $115
Disney Springs Gelato = $16 (rewards money)
Hash Hash a Go Go = $43 for 7 (tip included) - Travelzoo deal
Cowgirls Rockbar = $44 for 6 (tip included) - Posted same day 1/2 price deal onsite
Pat O Briens = $36 (tax/tip included) for 7 + $40 from old movie/meal tickets = $76
Sweet Tomatoes (twice - family favorite) = $50 x 2 = $100 for 7 (tip included - had a birthday coupon and other coupons - we split as 2 groups to use 2 coupons each trip)
Wa Wa Hoagies = Free (I fed my brother's kids lunch with groceries we needed to use up and drinks for the adults and he bought the grown ups subs and pretzels)
Resort sundaes/ice cream sodas for 9 = $24
Auto Train (dinner and breakfast included) = free for meals
A few extra butter beers = $20

Total $1376
Total Paid Meals Out = 12 meals, 6 snacks (10 meals for 6/7 people, 2 date night meals for 2 people, 6 snacks for 6 - 3 in CS plan and 3 paid separately)
Total Included Meals Out = 7 meals (3 meals at hotel for 6, 2 meals on train for 6, 2 meals done by my brother and sister for 6 - we had food/plans for these, but we don't turn down family:))

So, we averaged an "out" meals about 1 1/2 times a day and the groceries paid for the rest of our meals. And my kids didn't want to go out anymore than we did.

And for 6 (4 Disney adults/2 kids and sometimes 7 with my mom), we did it on about $100/day just finding regular deals available everywhere and never saying "no".

Last edited:
To each their own. Good thing there are lots of options so people can pick and choose what works for them! We still always do a couple character meals even though my DS's are now teens, because they (and I) still like to. Yes ... I am one of those Mom's who get up and take pics with the characters still! Cooking on vacation is not my thing either. When we camp, I cook. When we stay in a hotel, I don't.

We don't do the character meals now that the kids are grown. DH doesn't like hijinks at mealtime and, for me, they're not worth the cost if based on the quality/taste of the food alone.

When our daughter was character mad I happily paid the price so that she could get her fill of hugs and autographs without me having to force her (uninterested in characters and very vocal about it!) older brother to stand in those lines in the parks. We ate most of our other meals at "home" in our camper at Ft Wilderness and tried to stick with the cheaper breakfasts for DD's character fix. It worked for us.

Can you say a bit more about the dance at the Grand Floridian? I've seen a reference here or there to it, but can't quite figure out the details. Can you actually meet them, or just watch them dance? Any chance for an autograph? I'd love to help my daughter meet Prince Charming (or any other princes) since she's seen all the princesses and just loves character hunting.

I think everyone has to do what works for them. We don't do character meals now that the kids are older, but when they were small they were worth it to us.
Just like you say op, you economize in different ways. Some people would choose to stay value and spend the money on character meals. I do cook on some vacations, usually when I'm staying somewhere remote but when I'm in WDW there is no way I'm cooking. Dh and I are staying in a villa but the only thing the kitchen will be used for is washing out our refillable mugs.

Character meals are a great way to get those photos and meet the characters without standing in line. Some of them are really good values especially if you have an under 3 along. Chef Mickey, Akershus, 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, Hollywood & Vine, are examples.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter