Skipper Canteen?

MusicalAstronaut

DIS Veteran
Hey all, what do you think about Skipper Canteen for lunch vs dinner? I'm tempted to do lunch there to miss the craziness of MK midday. Is it decent? Fun for a solo? Opinions appreciated, my December trip is pretty much up in the air right now!

I would actually prefer it for lunch as opposed to dinner. Nice break from the crowds and the food, service and atmosphere there (at least to me) lend themselves to being more of a lunch experience than a dinner experience. (But we tend to prefer "fine dining" most nights while on vacation.) Is it decent? Yes, I would say "decent" but I wouldn't go much higher up the scale than that. Fun for a solo? I haven't been solo, but I can't see why not. You have servers "in character" sort of like 50s Prime Time, so I would imagine that would help. Lots of neat decor on the walls to look at to occupy your time. I do a lot of solo dining when traveling on business and I find that the amount of fun I have is commensurate with the amount of fun I want to have and the effort that I put into having fun. If you go to Skippers Canteen with a good attitude, I would imagine it would be plenty of fun as a solo.

We've done it twice for lunch and loved it! Have never tried it for supper, but would imagine it would be good as well. It's a fun atmosphere, good food and fun staff. I would put it above "decent", but certainly wouldn't confuse it with fine dining, nor is it intended to be. It is much better than most of the other dining options in Magic Kingdom.
If you enjoy the bad jokes on the jungle cruise, you will have fun.

Hey all, what do you think about Skipper Canteen for lunch vs dinner? I'm tempted to do lunch there to miss the craziness of MK midday. Is it decent? Fun for a solo? Opinions appreciated, my December trip is pretty much up in the air right now!
I have done this solo many times. I really enjoy the food and you can interact with the cast members as much or as little as you want. They have always given me wonderful service.

We've done lunch and dinner - I would choose the one that works best for your schedule. Can't go wrong with either!

I've eaten at Skipper Canteen just once, for dinner. I found the menu to be limited and filled with a lot of spicy food. I did not particularly like the food. The wait staff is reasonably good, but try to hard to be funny and entertain with jokes and chatter. The décor is nice and we did not have to wait very long to be seated. I do not think I would go back for lunch or dinner. JMHO.

I've eaten at Skipper Canteen just once, for dinner. I found the menu to be limited and filled with a lot of spicy food. I did not particularly like the food. The wait staff is reasonably good, but try to hard to be funny and entertain with jokes and chatter. The décor is nice and we did not have to wait very long to be seated. I do not think I would go back for lunch or dinner. JMHO.

I mean, it's a Jungle Cruise themed restaurant. That's kind of the point.

I don't think there's much difference between lunch and dinner, so I'd say just go with what works best. We've had two good dinners there (and one late night appetizer and slush visit right when it opened) and are going back next trip.

Server Emma was funny. Food was weird and meh. We will give it another go though. It was too fin a time to pass up forever.

My family of four, two of which are pretty picky, all really enjoyed the food (all ordered different things). And of course loved the theme and the servers jokes. I think of one gag in particular every time I think of the place, but I won't spoil it. Good time :)

We loved this place. We have so many types of eaters in our family, and everyone found something to eat and enjoy. I would for sure do this for lunch. It's a nice air conditioned respite from the crowds.

So glad you asked this question. Im in the same boat! im considering Skippers Cantene for my solo trip in Nov. I think i'll give it a shot (for dinner).

I took a late afternoon break from the park and ate here solo. I enjoyed the shrimp dish with a glass of wine. The server was very nice and we talked for a bit. I would go back in the future.

Why would a pretty young lady be going solo? Never mind none of my business.

Same here. Although I've yet to go solo it may come to that. I got my sister and her bf to go once and I've taken my kids one at a time. My husband gives in now and then but not enough for me.
Yeah, I can usually get mine to about every other year. That's not enough for me & we have no kids so I do solo trips or trips with my sister/friends!

It's one of our favorite restaurants. So far, we haven't had any server that was too over the top - just enough Jungle patter to keep the theming going. I really like the pasta (has sort of a chili taste to it that was a surprise the first time, but good) and the "Tastes Like Chicken" which is more of an Asian dish. I agree that you should book lunch or dinner based on what is most convenient for your touring plan. We usually go for an early dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter