Skyliner issues a week in??

Testing out the system this morning. CMs at the EPCOT station said they probably won’t be back up today.

They can radio ahead to add more empty cars, or will be loading only every other one so people at Rivera will have cars to get in. This was my concern and glad to know that they have a way to ensure that the loading at Rivera will be okay.

That is probably a good idea - they do that with the monorail and the GF in the morning, otherwise the poly would will up the resorts line going to MK. and POP and AoA is a helluva lot of rooms and people between the two!

Wow. 3 hours waiting for evacuation? :oops:

Oh it gets better!
Apparently only six cars were evacuated during that time. Six.To be fair I am unsure at what point a decision was made to start evacuation. But even if it was more like six in an hour and a half it does make you think. And then the line started to move, so no need to evacuate any more cars.
EDIT: I knew I was missing some pertinent information. Apparently they were not starting a straight evacuation. They were trying to evacuate/find? cars (using *find* because reports have come out that they were having issues locating specific cars) where there were medical issues reported.

And I also heard the line started to move as the ladder was being raised to a car - WTH?!?! How dangerous is that mistake, if true. For passengers and firefighters

I find this perplexing. They have these gondolas in cities for regular transportation. Colombia and Brazil; China has them. Obviously we wouldn't hear about issues, besides catastrophic ones. But they put them in some cities based on the success of them in others. If they were having any serious issues with long delays/any necessary evacuations with daily commuters in one city, they wouldn't choose them in another.

It makes me wonder about financial choices in engineering or tender choices by Disney.

Time will tell. Hopefully this was a good warning/educating moment for them and that's all. 50/50 on my faith in that.

I was very excited to use the gondolas. Not sure how I feel. I do know that the AOA/POP over the water line has a completely new picture in my head. :drinking1

Last edited:

That is probably a good idea - they do that with the monorail and the GF in the morning, otherwise the poly would will up the resorts line going to MK. and POP and AoA is a helluva lot of rooms and people between the two!

One year we were staying at BLT, it was MLK day, we boarded the monorail at Contemporary proceeded to T&T where someone made the decision to open the doors on both sides of the monorail because there were so many people waiting to board. That meant there was no room for anymore guests to board at the Poly or GF. I was so glad we were at BLT and able to board. If I had been staying at the Poly or GF we would have been out of luck. People pay a premium to stay at those locations, this shouldn't happen. I'm glad they are thinking about this for the Skyliner.

One year we were staying at BLT, it was MLK day, we boarded the monorail at Contemporary proceeded to T&T where someone made the decision to open the doors on both sides of the monorail because there were so many people waiting to board. That meant there was no room for anymore guests to board at the Poly or GF. I was so glad we were at BLT and able to board. If I had been staying at the Poly or GF we would have been out of luck. People pay a premium to stay at those locations, this shouldn't happen. I'm glad they are thinking about this for the Skyliner.

Unless I am mistaken, the doors on the monorail open on both sides at TTC because of the transfers to and from the Epcot line.

They keep entire cars from being boarded at TT&C to service the Poly and VGF. Or at least they were 3 weeks ago.
Restricting the boarding of a car wont work. the have to prohibit it totally to solve the problem

Well it appears they may have learned from previous bad practices and now keep cars available for those guests staying at Poly and GF. I have not witnessed that but I take your work for it. I did however witness there being no room on the monorail for those guests staying at Poly and GF, I know if I were one of those guests I wouldn't have been very happy. I'm glad they are learning from their mistakes.

My family has had to take the boat from VGF to MK many times, because of the full monorails coming from TTC. It's gotten to the point that we don't even try to take the monorail in the morning and just head to the boats. Have I said lately how much I'm looking forward to the bridge being built!!!!

Got stuck on the boat at night in the middle of Bay lake coming from MK to PVB. Took over an hour before we got to shore but we got a golden ticket to go anywhere and the people on the boat with us were a complete riot so not much of a loss.

Reports that the Skyliner is back open today with the addition of this sign. Anyone aware if Disney put an official release out, to the cause of the “outage”?443843

Well it appears since the original accident on the Skyliner they are still having issues. Apparently on 10/31 the line was down for at least and hour with people in the gondolas. So far it appears that there have been 3 separate incidents with the Skyliner going down. Is there anybody there now that can report on this? Are guests being redirected from IG to BW and are buses running from BW to the other three resorts that are currently linked to Skyliner?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!