Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I'm still confused about why pop and AOA will get access to this. Disney isn't just going to provide this for those value hotels with no cost.

Will their nightly rates go up a lot?

This was added by WDWMagic as speculation. There is no confirmed construction at AOA to indicate it is happening. (And I agree with you that they wouldn't want value resort guests to have this good service.

I must say that the apparent routing is a bit odd. From the WDWMagic graphic it looks like those that wish to go between Epcot and DHS would have to transfer to a 2nd gondola at the station between CBR and AoA. I assume that the Epcot to DHS path will get the most traffic, so I'm surprised that they don't appear to have a direct gondola between those two points, with a side spur to the resorts.
In my opinion, I think the line from DHS to CBR near Trinidad will indeed be a separate line. A Funicular would suit that line VERY well, and doppelmayr is a company that manufactures both funiculars and gondolas. I think this mostly due to the shape of the permitted building at DHS. It can go over the parking lot, but drop to ground level as it approaches CBR. It operates like a lift but rides rails. Hogwarts is a funicular. Other examples can be seen here. https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/funicular-railway/.
Are their issues with weather on the hogwarts express?

In my opinion, I think the line from DHS to CBR near Trinidad will indeed be a separate line. A Funicular would suit that line VERY well, and doppelmayr is a company that manufactures both funiculars and gondolas. I think this mostly due to the shape of the permitted building at DHS. It can go over the parking lot, but drop to ground level as it approaches CBR. It operates like a lift but rides rails. Hogwarts is a funicular. Other examples can be seen here. https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/funicular-railway/.

Never thought of that. That leg certainly could be tramway of some sort. Harder to imagine the other legs being anything besides a cable of some sort though.

Well - this isn't just a rumor - the buildings indicated and their shape are on actual construction plans.

What exactly doesn't make sense to you? I am going to quote myself from DVC CBR thread, wrote this back on January 19th:

After reading a little on the newer technology of aerial gondolas, the shape of the "L shape" buildings makes a bit more sense. Originally I thought there was no was a aerial gondola could make those turns.

The basic theorized route just seems way to circuitous, and what's with the mammoth building off of Seabreeze, and such a short run to Century Drive? Seems odd to have a transfer station barely into the run.

And the "L shape" buildings....they're out in the boonies compared to much of the resorts they're supposed to service.

That's not to say something isn't in the works, it just seems like a ton of infrastructure work and ongoing maintenance for little bang for the buck that bus service already provides.

As a big BC family we are little apprehensive about this. When it comes to visuals I'm not sure if we are too concerned because looking at the proposed layout (more on that in a moment) it looks to go more in front of BW and so hopefully doesn't ruin the crescent lake area. I will say, and I know others have said this, that the IG is one of the biggest perks of staying at a Epcot resort. You can actually get up at a decent time and still be able to RD Epcot because there are so few people from those resorts going into the park. Now it will be crazier. A bonus for those who do not stay at a Epcot resort because the main entrance will probably be a bit thinner but bad for those resorts.

In regards to the layout I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Is the need to go to the IG the point of that huge jog the track takes? Why not go on a straight shot to Epcot and build a new entrance near Germany. Surely that would be cheaper to do and offer a less time consuming route. It takes a massive turn and follows E Buena Vista Dr before turning again to go over the BW parking lot to the IG. Why not just make it in a "T" shape?

In regards to the layout I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Is the need to go to the IG the point of that huge jog the track takes? Why not go on a straight shot to Epcot and build a new entrance near Germany. Surely that would be cheaper to do and offer a less time consuming route. It takes a massive turn and follows E Buena Vista Dr before turning again to go over the BW parking lot to the IG. Why not just make it in a "T" shape?

I agree, but there were a lot of rumors around this in that Disney did not want to deal with the security and staffing of a third entrance to the park. Securing the entrances is a lot more than meets the eye. The other issue is that the entrance would have to be very close to where the fireworks barges are stored, and it was logistically difficult. I don't know how true it is, but we've been discussing this on the CBR-DVC thread and many people were convinced that a third entrance was not going to be feasible/desirable.

That makes more sense to me. Admittedly, it is pretty cool, still not enough to make me want to pay BLT prices for a CBR unit, nonetheless, still pretty cool.

Never thought of that. That leg certainly could be tramway of some sort. Harder to imagine the other legs being anything besides a cable of some sort though.
For me, I think it's cost per mile, factoring in weather and existing infrastructure. It's a straight shot from DHS to CBR. So a funicular makes sense as it can go at ground level for much of the way to save cost, but go overhead as needed as it approaches DHS. It can curve, but is better if it doesn't. The fact that hogwarts is one sort of seals the deal for me. It demonstrates without a doubt it can survive in that environment.
The other line has to cross streets and buildings and a gazillion other things, so it makes sense to elevate it and gondola makes a bit more sense, as it can turn sharp corners and span large gaps and change elevation to suit the need.
So basically I'm saying there is more than one line, and that allows it to have different options.

For me, I think it's cost per mile, factoring in weather and existing infrastructure. It's a straight shot from DHS to CBR. So a funicular makes sense as it can go at ground level for much of the way to save cost, but go overhead as needed as it approaches DHS. It can curve, but is better if it doesn't. The fact that hogwarts is one sort of seals the deal for me. It demonstrates without a doubt it can survive in that environment.
The other line has to cross streets and buildings and a gazillion other things, so it makes sense to elevate it and gondola makes a bit more sense, as it can turn sharp corners and span large gaps and change elevation to suit the need.
So basically I'm saying there is more than one line, and that allows it to have different options.

The only issue with the funicular (or train) is that you have to lay a track the entire distance. It would seem to me if you are already building a gondola system, this would be an unnecessary expense to build a 2nd form of transportation.

The only issue with the funicular (or train) is that you have to lay a track the entire distance. It would seem to me if you are already building a gondola system, this would be an unnecessary expense to build a 2nd form of transportation.
I think it's a capacity and weather mitigation issue. Run a funicular in a hurricane if you want, the gondola not so much. It can be run at ground level for a distance, saving footings cost, and easier to evacuate. It can still be elevated as it crosses the parking lot.
It's more of a speed, and weather mitigation thing for me. With the proximity to AoA, I think the route from CBR to DHS will be very popular, and I think the capacity of funicular would be welcome.

This is all true - but Disney would not want it's customers being struck by lightning even safely. I think it would close down during the summer afternoon storms.

Knowing what I know about lightning, large currents, and the physics of it all, I'd much rather be in one of these gondolas than scurrying around at ground level trying to find shelter... But that's just me.

I like this, a lot actually.

We did a quick trip in the fall to book a bounce back offer for this summer. Because we were there to book the offer, our goal was to stay out of the parks and spend as little money as possible. So my wife and I did a lot of things outside the parks, like boat rides, rode the monorail, buses, etc. I love the idea of another mode of transportation that is different than anything else on property.

Great idea. Kudos to disney on this.

Building two forms of transportation just doesn't make much sense to me. There is a reason most airlines are either Boeing or Airbus, not both. Common training, common parts, common maintenance, volume discounts, etc. Why build a funicular for such a short stretch if it is the only one you are going to have on property? Very expensive to do a one off like that. Plus the gondolas have a lower ground footprint, which was one of the things that have been kicked around.

I agree, but there were a lot of rumors around this in that Disney did not want to deal with the security and staffing of a third entrance to the park. Securing the entrances is a lot more than meets the eye. The other issue is that the entrance would have to be very close to where the fireworks barges are stored, and it was logistically difficult. I don't know how true it is, but we've been discussing this on the CBR-DVC thread and many people were convinced that a third entrance was not going to be feasible/desirable.

Yea I get the cost of staffing part. Which I'm sure is probably the #1 reason. I think they could probably hide the barges in some way, build some type of structure to obstruct the view.

This would also be an excellent time to take Universal's Hogwarts Express video window idea.

I can see how this transportation system might give backstage views. So instead... Say you're traveling to Epcot. It can either play magical Express type advertisement videos for Epcot, or there can be a storyline.

I'm also wondering if this could be something that's included in a Disney resort stay but comes at a cost to non resort guests.

Uh, no. Been saved from being hit many many times by being inside a car or other Faraday cage during some really bad storms. I understand why it works the way it does because of a couple of degrees in applied physics.
Even though your certain that the Faraday cage will save you, does your heart rate stay flat? No, you still nearly heart attack.
You could make the things bullet proof, but it doesn't mean you want people shooting at them.

Science knows you are right, but people's self preservation instinct is still going to debate it ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter