Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I'm still confused about why pop and AOA will get access to this. Disney isn't just going to provide this for those value hotels with no cost.

Will their nightly rates go up a lot?

I think AoA and Pop are the two most popular Values, which hold quite a lot of people. CBR will have the DVC, so it makes sense. I think adding it to AoA will be a way to take on much more people between the buses and now the supposed gondolas. How many times have you gone to get on the bus only to find it's packed. I know this is a problem at a lot of resorts, but I don't see the value in adding it to the All-Stars (nor would it work as well). The AoA and Pop are definitely the top-tier Values and rival some moderates.

I'm still confused about why pop and AOA will get access to this. Disney isn't just going to provide this for those value hotels with no cost.

Will their nightly rates go up a lot?

To answer your question, if they're going to run the lines from CBR to both DHS and Epcot, why WOULDN'T they go just a bit further to tie in the 1000 suites (likely 5000-6000 guests) at AOA and perhaps another 2000 rooms at POP?

You seem to assume that this will be more expensive than the current bus transportation, which may not be the case at all. I don't know that we will ever see lines like this crisscrossing all of Walt Disney world, but it may come to other areas if cost effective.

For each resort included, it probably adds 3-4 Cast Members to staff the load station. Now think of the number of CMs eliminated by the buses which are no longer needed (or service dramatically reduced.) Plus the buses themselves, maintenance, fuel.

Intrigued. That's the best way to explain how I feel about this. I'm trying to imagine exactly how this would work, especially in a place that prides itself on aesthetics and theming. I would think that there would be wires and towers all over the place, right? In order for the gondola to stop at EPCOT's International gateway, there would need to be a tower, visible from the World Showcase and more importantly, the DVC rooms at Beach Club and Boardwalk. I can certainly see it being an eyesore.

I know, I know—well, what about the monorail. Well, the monorail is different. It's an iconic symbol and it's only one track. In fact, the track almost goes unnoticed unless a monorail is passing through.

I know there's the rumors of Ratatouille in France. They could use that show building to hide the view of the gondolas. Just a thought.... I hope it fits in aesthetically.

Could this be part of a Disney strategy to get people to pay for transportation? Sort of like, "For $33 per person per day you have access to the most unique and time accommodating transportation on property". Or the famous resort fee idea that has been talked about for a decade?

So do you think we'll see a "Disney's Illuminations: Reflections of Earth Gondola Fireworks Viewing Party"? I imagine it'll be a bit like the boat rentals they do at Y&B except in the air. I'd pay to see that if the gondolas were high enough. I'm guessing $128 excl. tax per person. Thoughts?

Does anyone know the capacity of the buses? The London gondolas seat 10 people.

Back to the shape of the building in BWV lot and the one near CBR tower-- If the shape and size of the BWV building indicate the structural integrity required to tension the cables and such for the lengths on each side, then the building at CBR tower must be a through building, since it holds the same basic amount of cable length and the same (or similar) angle of repose-- all taken from the drawings of course.

My bet is still two systems running from CBR tower--one to epcot and one to HS. I doubt we see any in the lesser resorts.

With all of this coming out I decided to re read the first few pages of the CBR permit thread on WDWMagic and one poster named "lazyboy97o" said

"A new connection would not necessarily show up on plans but could explain odd shapes." all the way on January 18th.... Pretty impressive

Obviously per car the buses are far higher capacity but if you look at the actual number of riders moved per hour, a cable car may have far higher capacity. Assuming a bus can hold about 40 people? and using Disney's bus every 20 minutes that's about 120 people an hour (on one route). If one gondola can hold about 10 people and it's frequency is every 30 seconds then it's moving 300 people per hour.
From @tom_bricker
https://twitter.com/tom_bricker/status/831944898622296064
"Someone shared this w/ me: Doppelmayr is successor to Von Roll, co. behind Disney's Skyway. 4500 hourly capacity. doppelmayr.com/en/products/de…"

Thank link mentions 15 passenger cars

According to FAQ on London Air Liner, its cabins hold up to 10 and depart every 15 seconds. At that pace, you could get a full bus load in the air in under 2 minutes. And the trip itself is almost certainly shorter than a bus winding along WDW's congested roads.
Wheelchairs and ECVs will greatly impact this at WDW.

Obviously per car the buses are far higher capacity but if you look at the actual number of riders moved per hour, a cable car may have far higher capacity. Assuming a bus can hold about 40 people? and using Disney's bus every 20 minutes that's about 120 people an hour (on one route). If one gondola can hold about 10 people and it's frequency is every 30 seconds then it's moving 300 people per hour.
First of all, I think the buses hold more than 40 people. Secondly, they run more frequently near park opening. Are you saying that Disney only transports 120 people to Epcot from CBR the hour for rope drop? Lastly, I think the frequency for the cable car will be longer than 30 seconds. We're talking about people with wheelchairs and strollers. No way will they be able to get in and get settled in only 30 seconds. I worry about the lines that will form early in the morning. I also think there will be a mental thing for people waiting for their turn. A 20 minute wait for the bus is more acceptable than a 20 minute wait in a queue watching other people be whisked away.

FWIW, I think it will be pretty cool. I'm bummed that we'll be gone by Jan 7th.

The only downside I see here is it is probably going to increase the crowds and lines to get into the EPCOT IG by an order of magnitude.

Our favorite resort to stay at is BC. We love the convenience of having the IG right next to the resort. Having a gondola loading/unloading area right in front of it is going to make that whole area crazy crowded.
I would imagine that if the crowds tend to overcrowd the entrance that they would expand the number of stations

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!