Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Just to draw attention to the highlights that addresses questions people have raised:

"As far as weather is concerned, Doppelmayr says that a model like this would be able to operate in winds up to 35mph and that the whole system is grounded and safe to operate during lightning storms.

With roughly 8 seconds in between loads and handicap accessibility on all gondolas, Doppelmayr says an hourly throughput of 3,000 guests is easily obtainable."

Obviously the Disney ones won't have the table, but even without it seems like might be tight with a couple of strollers - and I assume they would have special ones that are designed to fit wheelchairs/scooters

It's been discussed before. The Gondola's can be equipped to run during thunderstorms. However, it's more of a guest service issue. They can run, but the very real fear felt by folks as the storms come through may make it less than pleasant.
So they can run. They can run safely. However it might be unpleasant to some.
At this time it is a supplement to travel around WDW; it's not replacing anything. So even if it ran 50% of the time it's a net transportation improvement. Of course if/when proven to be a reliable transport, no doubt they'll try to reduce buses if it makes sense.
As to noise, I worked under these for about 18 years. There is noise where the electric motor is housed, and it's pretty minimal. The towers can generate noise if the bogey wheels are not adjusted well, but that is also minimal. If they have a diesel back up motor, those can be loud if brought into service, but that is only for emergencies to the clear the line.
Actually, this will be a replacement, not a supplement. Those in the know have said that the busses will not run once these are operational.

Actually, this will be a replacement, not a supplement. Those in the know have said that the busses will not run once these are operational.

Really? First I have heard of this so interesting .... I would just think there would be people that would be scared of heights or just not want to use them for any given reason and the buses would still be available

Just to draw attention to the highlights that addresses questions people have raised:

"As far as weather is concerned, Doppelmayr says that a model like this would be able to operate in winds up to 35mph and that the whole system is grounded and safe to operate during lightning storms.

With roughly 8 seconds in between loads and handicap accessibility on all gondolas, Doppelmayr says an hourly throughput of 3,000 guests is easily obtainable."

Obviously the Disney ones won't have the table, but even without it seems like might be tight with a couple of strollers - and I assume they would have special ones that are designed to fit wheelchairs/scooters

If that is for a single line, in a single direction, and not all lines and directions combined it would take a bus leaving every ~70 seconds to match 3000 an hour.

If that is for a single line and not all lines combined it would take a bus leaving every ~1.2 minutes to match 3000 an hour.

well, I assume that is based on each gondola being full, and the ones show seat 8 people, so that would be 375 gondolas being employed, at 5 stations would be 75 per station ... and 8 seconds between loads works out to 7.5 per minute - which would be 450 per hour ...

... aaaaaaand I think I got lost in the math, but my guess is it is for the entire system not per line

well, I assume that is based on each gondola being full, and the ones show seat 8 people, so that would be 375 gondolas being employed, at 5 stations would be 75 per station ... and 8 seconds between loads works out to 7.5 per minute - which would be 450 per hour ...

... aaaaaaand I think I got lost in the math, but my guess is it is for the entire system not per line

Glad I'm not the only one. If they leave every 8 seconds with 8 passengers then max capacity would be 60 people a minute. Multiple by 60 minutes and max would 3600 an hour. Thus 3000/hr is 16.6% below max?

How many times in an hour will a gondola do a round trip? 2, 3, 4 times? If these go 15-20mph how long is the loop? With a 4 mile loop the gondolas could make 4+ loops an hour. That would get it down to ~100 cars on a loop to move 3000/hr

Last edited:
I’m glad to see photos of one of their models and to read about capacity and ability to withstand winds & lightning. But the burning question still is, with all that glass will they be air conditioned??

I’m glad to see photos of one of their models and to read about capacity and ability to withstand winds & lightning. But the burning question still is, with all that glass will they be air conditioned??
The first thing I thought when I saw the picture was "that won't have air conditioning." :rotfl2:

But, they do say in the post that the gondola pictured is not the one Disney will use. So, like you said, we're still waiting to find out...

8 seconds to load, really, has Disney thought of sending engineers out with stop watches to actually time how long their customers really take to load various vehicles - I mean they have ride vehicles of all sorts they can time, of course people don't typically load strollers onto ride vehicles, but otherwise you could get a pretty good comparison of Disney patron loading speed v. say skiers/snowboarders loading speed.
And yeah, the doublewide SUV strollers will be a tight fit.

8 seconds to load, really, has Disney thought of sending engineers out with stop watches to actually time how long their customers really take to load various vehicles - I mean they have ride vehicles of all sorts they can time, of course people don't typically load strollers onto ride vehicles, but otherwise you could get a pretty good comparison of Disney patron loading speed v. say skiers/snowboarders loading speed.
And yeah, the doublewide SUV strollers will be a tight fit.

The monorail is really the only thing that is walk-on walk-off like these.

The A/C thing is way overblown. If these things go 15-20mph and you're traveling 3 miles you're talking about 9-12 minutes. These won't be 20-25 minute trips like the buses and you'll get a 15-20 mph breeze on you.

The A/C thing is way overblown. If these things go 15-20mph and you're traveling 3 miles you're talking about 9-12 minutes. These won't be 20-25 minute trips like the buses and you'll get a 15-20 mph breeze on you.

But does that mean you will get soaked in the rain and have wet seats? And 10 minutes in a glass box in 90 degree weather can feel like a long time.

But does that mean you will get soaked in the rain and have wet seats? And 10 minutes in a glass box in 90 degree weather can feel like a long time.

Why do we think it is a glass box? I had assumed it would be open with no glass, just a wire frame. The picture of the example on display above doesn't seem to have any glass.

Why do we think it is a glass box? I had assumed it would be open with no glass, just a wire frame. The picture of the example on display above doesn't seem to have any glass.

The article states (and was confirmed before) that the ones for Disney will be enclosed (glass or plexiglass) with vents at the top

The article states (and was confirmed before) that the ones for Disney will be enclosed (glass or plexiglass) with vents at the top
Correct, the one pictured is more of a ride in a zoo so the open air makes sense. For transportation in rainy Florida they will nee to be more enclosed so people stay dry.

It seems like they might also consider vents on the floor and a solar or wind generated ventilation fan on top. It would help with cooling and circulation.

ETA: I'm oddly looking forward to these. I think I just miss the old skyway in the park.

Really? First I have heard of this so interesting .... I would just think there would be people that would be scared of heights or just not want to use them for any given reason and the buses would still be available
Yep, Marni and others on the magic board have stated that there will not be bus service once the gondolas get going. Now , as with anything Disney, that could change but that was the last I had heard.

Yep, Marni and others on the magic board have stated that there will not be bus service once the gondolas get going. Now , as with anything Disney, that could change but that was the last I had heard.

definitely interesting and thanks for sharing. Honestly this does change my opinion on them as it is one thing for this to be an additional mode of transportation that could ease the reliance on buses ... another for the system now to be so dependent on them

Unless the wind is blowing the rain sideways you can keep the rain out and let air flow thru.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter