sleeping teenagers....

SeeDisney

<font color=red>I drove by my WAWA <br><font color
Hello, just wondering, do you let your tweens, teenagers sleep in during the summer? Or do you rise them up around mid-morning?

I have a 19 year old son and two daughters 16 and 11. They all sleep in. Often times I come home for lunch at 1:00 and everyone is in bed. I don’t regulate their sleeping during the summer. If my older two need to get up for work or have plans that’s up to them. There is always sleepover guests here 99% if the time during the summer so they are always up most of the night. I sleep on a different floor from them so I don’t hear them.

My kids swim competitively during June and July, so they have to be up at the pool by 9 am. That means they need to be on their bikes and ready to commute by 8:40 am, so they get up around 7:45 or so.

In August swim team is over, but I've been waking them up by about 9:30 if they're not up already.

I always let my kids set their own schedules in summer break (though I did not cook special meals for them at odd times, if they slept trough lunch they had to get their own, etc). Niether of mine ever got into a habit of sleeping all day for weeks on end---DS19 would sleep really late (2-3) for a couple of days, then revert to getting up around 9 or 10 for a week or two then repeat.

My teenager doesn’t sleep in. She’s up no later than seven on her own. I’m glad because not sure I could handle having kids sleeping in late every day. That would be a point of conflict in this house.

My teenager doesn’t sleep in. She’s up no later than seven on her own. I’m glad because not sure I could handle having kids sleeping in late every day. That would be a point of conflict in this house.
I enjoy the quiet mornings (if I’m not working). Plus when I get home from work the house is usually still clean because no one has been awake long enough o create a mess yet, lol.

My teens have jobs so no sleeping in most days. They do sleep in on weekends, which I'm fine with.

I’m off today, slept in until 9:00 which is late for me. Had a relaxing morning, my Dh got up around 11:30 (he works nights). Dd16 and Ds up around noon, just realized it’s almost 2:00 and I haven’t seen Dd11 yet. She could still be asleep which I agree is ridiculous so I’m going to investigate.....

Last edited:
If there is nothing to do including their chores I let them. Agree with the poster that said they don’t cater the meals around their sleeping time. They will never had the liberty to sleep late in the future now is their time to. I wish I could! even when I’m free to do so my body wakes up.

I agree with PPs that as long as they have nowhere to be, let them sleep. As a teen, I much preferred staying up late and sleeping in until the afternoon. I grew out of it by end of college. I'm not sure why it would ever be a point of contention - who cares if someone sleeps in? The only benefit to waking them is to keep them on a schedule so its easier to adjust when they go back to school, but after a couple days, they'll adjust on their own anyhow.

Only 1 teen left but she sets her own schedule. Some nights she works somewhat late and will sleep in the next day. Today she got up by 9 so really no set pattern. She’ll be back at school soon enough and working hard so sleep away while she can.

We never made them wake up at a certain time. That worked fine in Middle School but by High School they were both involved in Drum Corps and then Marching band, then we usually had a week or two of vacation planned. But they also had jobs to do around the house and didn't take them long to figure out that mowing in 105° heat wasn't fun, so they got up early.

Why would it be an issue? This is, providing there is nothing on their schedule. If it’s just to be up for the sake of being up, I don’t see a point.

Why would it be an issue? This is, providing there is nothing on their schedule. If it’s just to be up for the sake of being up, I don’t see a point.
It’s the lay about aspect of it. As teenagers, both my husband and I were expected to hold jobs. I think we were both working full time during the summers by fourteen. My daughter also works every day. Sleeping in during the summers was never part of our reality. I suspect it skews my opinion substantially. We still had fun summers, as does my daughter; but the fun comes after the work day is over.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter