sleeping teenagers....

I bet your neighbors love that.

I'd much rather have my neighbors mowing their lawn when it's almost dark out rather than at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning like our neighbors do. I understand why they do it (work schedules), but I'm way more likely to be sleeping at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning than at 8:30-9:00 (the latest time it would be "almost dark") any night.

I let mine set their own schedules within reason - ie: no staying out until 2am! . They knew what their chores were and when I expected it to be done so I left everything else up to them.

I bet your neighbors love that.
In my neck of the woods I hear it at all times of the day between the people who hire out the work, the vacant lots across the street that admittedly don't get mowed too too often, to the neighbors who do their own mowing.

Our noise ordinance is 11pm-7am but thankfully the latest I've heard anyone is 8-ishpm or so during the summer when it stays lighter longer. When I lived in a different city in a rental house the noise ordinance was 7am-7pm. One time the neighbor started just before 6:30am. My husband went out and asked her to stop and she did. We were still trying to sleep at that hour on a Saturday.

My neighbors though should be happier with us as our mower being battery operated doesn't have anywhere near the level of noise as the other mowers.

What probably annoys me more is one neighbor will be mowing their grass and then they get done but by that time another neighbor has started and so on. It's hours and hours of lawn mowing and trimming noises during the spring and summer *sigh*.

My son is 22, if he isn't going to class or heading off to work, I let him sleep as long as he needs to.

Heck, all summer he was taking a class that started at 8. Plus he works on Saturday. If he slept in on Sunday, it was because he needed it.

Our noise ordinance is 11pm-7am but thankfully the latest I've heard anyone is 8-ishpm or so during the summer when it stays lighter longer. When I lived in a different city in a rental house the noise ordinance was 7am-7pm. One time the neighbor started just before 6:30am. My husband went out and asked her to stop and she did. We were still trying to sleep at that hour on a Saturday.

My neighbors though should be happier with us as our mower being battery operated doesn't have anywhere near the level of noise as the other mowers.

What probably annoys me more is one neighbor will be mowing their grass and then they get done but by that time another neighbor has started and so on. It's hours and hours of lawn mowing and trimming noises during the spring and summer *sigh*.

630am? I would have a fit- here it is 700 weekdays and 8am weekends and even that is early, I think 9am weekends is early enough!

Me and 7 other neighbors (both sides of me and across from me) all have the same landscaper so I know that at 9am Thursdays I have to be awake or they will wake me up. But at least it is over in one big swoop and an hour later all houses are done and they are gone for the week.

630am? I would have a fit- here it is 700 weekdays and 8am weekends and even that is early, I think 9am weekends is early enough!

Me and 7 other neighbors (both sides of me and across from me) all have the same landscaper so I know that at 9am Thursdays I have to be awake or they will wake me up. But at least it is over in one big swoop and an hour later all houses are done and they are gone for the week.
I know it's really a minor complaint in the grand scheme (at least they are getting it mowed somehow lol) but I'd love it if it was just several hours of noise and then done. I suppose it's my pet peeve hearing the on and off of a lawn mower, on and off of the trimmer, etc and hearing it basically all day gets to me.

And thankfully it was only the one time that neighbor had done the 6:30am. I don't think she meant anything by it just was up early getting it done.

Mine set their own schedules in the summer and I don't really care when they go to bed or get up as long as they're not disturbing the rest of the household. About a week before school starts we start "rebooting" the school-year schedule, so that it isn't such a shock to the system on the first day, but other than that, it is up to them.

I always let my son set his own schedule, according to his jobs. We went through periods where he would roll out of bed at 2 in the afternoon, when he was working as a barback. Now though, since he's worked "real" jobs for the last two summers, he tends to get up early on his own when he gets a day off. He's 22 now, and starting his last year of college though, so I think he has sort of aged out of the teenaged circadian cycle.

I'd much rather have my neighbors mowing their lawn when it's almost dark out rather than at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning like our neighbors do. I understand why they do it (work schedules), but I'm way more likely to be sleeping at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning than at 8:30-9:00 (the latest time it would be "almost dark") any night.
I was just about to post this! Ugh! My neighbor uses the blower incessantly & with a napping baby in the morning I want to scream!

We let our teens sleep in. They will get up early on their own if we have plans, but I don't have any issue with them sleeping otherwise. I work from home, so it's convenient for me to feel like no one is home for a few hours in the morning and I can go about my usual work and household routine.

They have to get up ridiculously early to ride the bus to high school, so I figure it's good for them to get some extra sleep when they can. My DH has had to get up at 4:30am for his entire adult life. If the kids wind up with a similar career, I'm sure they'll appreciate that they got to sleep in while they had the opportunity.

We were not allowed to sleep in when I was a kid. My one sister was considered the laziest person ever and comments are still made about her sleeping too much. I think the latest she ever slept in was like 9:30am, so nothing like most teens.

Mine were allowed to sleep in to a degree, and for the first week or so after school was out they could sleep as long as they wanted. After that, they were usually up on their own by 8am or so.

They were not allowed to stay up till all hours, and even though there were relaxed bedtimes in the summer, we all had somewhat of a schedule. I never could go to sleep until my children were in bed - very few exceptions.

Mine were allowed to sleep in to a degree, and for the first week or so after school was out they could sleep as long as they wanted. After that, they were usually up on their own by 8am or so.

They were not allowed to stay up till all hours, and even though there were relaxed bedtimes in the summer, we all had somewhat of a schedule. I never could go to sleep until my children were in bed - very few exceptions.
Ok this makes me very curious. I never really enforced a bedtime past age 12 or so on school nights. My youngest is almost 12 and usually around 10:00-10:30 on a school night I remind her to brush her teeth and go to bed and she does. If it’s not a school day I don’t care what time she goes to bed. I’m always the first one in bed here. My dh works nights and my older two are 19 and 16 so I would never wait for them to go to bed or I’d never get any sleep before I had to get up for work.

My kids, 14, 17 and 20, have no bedtime rules and no set time to get up except when they have school or we have to be somewhere. During school they are allowed to do as they please as long as they get up at 6 with no fuss from me. Never had an issue with them.

I never could go to sleep until my children were in bed - very few exceptions.

Were you concerned about them sneaking out or getting into trouble?

DH and I would never be able to get enough sleep if we had this policy. We go to bed before 9:30 most nights (sometimes closer to 8). It just seems unreasonable to try to force teenagers to go to bed at that time during the summer.

I wouldn't get any sleep at all! I'm a solid early-bird, and DS is in a definite teenage night-owl phase. I think we currently overlap by about 11 waking hours a day.

Ditto. Though I think my son and I overlapped by less than 10 hours most of the summer.

I remember coming home for the night when my dad was leaving for work in the morning many times when I was in my late teens and not in school.

Mine 13 & almost 15 like to stay up til 2am-4am and sleep til the afternoon the next day.

I no longer mind due to several reasons: Found out most of their friends also do it. Most jobs/college jobs revolve around the swing shift work schedule 1pm -10 pm, 2pm-11pm, 3pm-12am, 4pm-1am, etc. You’re only going to be once. Me and DH surely can’t stay up to 2am-4am anymore. They MUST also follow the only one rule we have “Don’t wake up mom and dad unless it’s an emergency”. That’s because we’re up at 4:45 am everyday.

A week before school we do get them back on our schedule of quiet time at 8 pm and lights out at 10 pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!